[TR] Nvidia CEO: VR immersion problems 20 years from being solved - Page 15 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #141 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:16 PM
Retired Staff

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 859
Quote:
Originally Posted by sugalumps View Post

lol at people thinking they are going to get great performance in vr for $199.

Marketing buzz words.

Pretty much. The minimum VR certification calls for an R9 290 or a GTX 970, and the RX 480 meets that. I don't think that it will do much better than that, possibly up to 390X / 980 levels. On the current VR requirements checklist, it's done, but it's just that.

The 480 will be another 1440p GPU that in a year's time will be a 1080p GPU, just like the 970 was as I said from the beginning. There is so much photorealism that we can cram into 1080p resolution that not even the full big Pascal and Vega could handle it, it's years away, and that's for 60fps, let alone 90 or more that VR requires. And forget about 1080p for VR, it has to be higher, much higher. I still remember reading about people playing with the Oculus DK2 and having ghost grid lines on their vision for several minutes after playing due to the low resolution.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #142 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Doesnt the success of the 2 current headsets make any of the naysayers think maybe they be more popular than they think. A lot of them have the mindset that they dont like it (99% havent even tried it and/or are too poor to buy it) and go around complaining about everying they the units dont have... For god sakes, give it a year or 2, ita not as if they are improving on old tech, these are new tech, give it some time to mature. The upgrades to the tech will come pretty fast.
Hell, ive had at least 40 different people come try out my vive amd rift and not 1 single person didnt love the experience. Even my 69 year old dad loved it.
I personally cant wait for thr next gen amd some aaa games. Its pretty fun.

Bass is my business and business is good!
post #143 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:22 PM
Graphics Card Aficionado

Liked: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGovernment View Post

Doesnt the success of the 2 current headsets make any of the naysayers think maybe they be more popular than they think. A lot of them have the mindset that they dont like it (99% havent even tried it and/or are too poor to buy it) and go around complaining about everying they the units dont have... For god sakes, give it a year or 2, ita not as if they are improving on old tech, these are new tech, give it some time to mature. The upgrades to the tech will come pretty fast.
Hell, ive had at least 40 different people come try out my vive amd rift and not 1 single person didnt love the experience. Even my 69 year old dad loved it.
Well said. thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #144 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:33 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:

What success? They are priced above what the mass market can pay, so that is a relative thing to say. Early adopters are always enthusiastic about new toys, but that doesn't mean that the tech is there yet to make it immersive, which is the point of this thread, not whether it's fun. A computer game from the 1980's can also be fun, but it's far from realistic and where it should be, that's what Jen, Raja and the guy from Google quoted by Raja said. These guys want to sell GPUs and VR is a PR bullet point that helps sell GPUs more than a new monitor will. But at the same time they don't want to create too many expectations for now.

Speaking about old games, VR has been a thing for a long time now, to the point of comedy:

From 1993. Forgive me for my lack of super enthusiasm in 2016, it's just that I have seen this movie before.

If you're having fun, that's good, but it has nothing to do with what these guys are talking about.
post #145 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Liked: 54
biggrin.gif nvidia squadron is in full allert, their 1080 deathstar is about to being desttoyed by amd small X-wings in VR galaxy biggrin.gif
Redwoodz likes this.
post #146 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:45 PM
Commodore 64

Liked: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noufel View Post

biggrin.gif nvidia squadron is in full allert, their 1080 deathstar is about to being desttoyed by amd small X-wings in VR galaxy biggrin.gif

yeah people who bought 800$ VR headsets and have beefy PCs are probably going to be blown away by a 199$ GPU biggrin.gif

No.

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

Last edited by thrillcat; 06-24-2014 at 08:44 AM.
post #147 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:49 PM
Try catching every moment you see...

Liked: 280
After AMD's presentation last night, I'm almost certain that Nvidia has blundered this generation of graphics cards, which is absolutely ironic when you consider that the 1070 and 1080 are very fast pieces of hardware. However, this again strikes me as another time when Nvidia had all the cards (8800/9800 series), and then blew it on a bad pricing model (Tesla, GTX 260/270/280). AMD swooped in and undercut them, and started winning back marketshare. I believe that AMD is once again in a position to do this.

Without reviews, it's too soon to say, but the RX 480 may just be the disruptive product we need in this market. thumb.gif

4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #148 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 04:51 PM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 200
Quote:

Quoting Palmer Luckey himself:
Quote:
I’m one of the few people where it’s different. I would spend whatever it was. Gamers are not known to be the most affluent population of people. If something’s even $600, it doesn’t matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is — if they just can’t afford it, then it really might as well not exist. We’re going for the mainstream, but time will tell what the market is.

So I'll give them all the time in the world until they fix everything that's wrong with VR, starting with price.

#EnthusiastLivesMatter
post #149 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 05:00 PM
Retired Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Pistol View Post

After AMD's presentation last night, I'm almost certain that Nvidia has blundered this generation of graphics cards, which is absolutely ironic when you consider that the 1070 and 1080 are very fast pieces of hardware. However, this again strikes me as another time when Nvidia had all the cards (8800/9800 series), and then blew it on a bad pricing model (Tesla, GTX 260/270/280). AMD swooped in and undercut them, and started winning back marketshare. I believe that AMD is once again in a position to do this.

Without reviews, it's too soon to say, but the RX 480 may just be the disruptive product we need in this market. thumb.gif

I want AMD to do well, but you're ignoring where the 1060 will land in the performance and price charts. In my opinion it doesn't make sense for it to cost more than $250. Usually a card from a new generation on a new process node will do as well as the previous card above it, in this case the 970. The 970 performs on par with the 390 and the RX 480 is said to perform between a 390 and a 390X, so I don't see where exactly Nvidia can't adjust pricing, clockspeeds or both to make it competitive. Remember that Nvidia hasn't cared much for the midrange segment lately, the 960 was usually not as good as the 380 performance wise (although it used less power) and it still sold better. So, if it's a close match and a close price, I don't understand the hype. Sure, AMD is back in the game, but some of you make it out to be something on the level of the HD 4870 / 4850. I still don't have the elements to say it's the case again. I sure hope it is because we all need the competition.
post #150 of 207 Old 06-01-2016, 06:09 PM

Liked: 125
He is doing what he should be doing, chatting down his competition as a CEO.
However, I see nothing but upside in bringing down the average cost of the VR experience, and it has to start somewhere. And, that somewhere ain't gonna be $700-$1100 gpus, if the gpu companies are counting on VR adoption to increase their own market penetration. And, as a CEO, you shouldn't knock VR, when you were championing it just a couple of months ago. It comes across as flaky and salty...lol

Simplicity

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page