[VistaMag] Prey 2 DX10 Edition? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #11 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
4.0ghz
 
carl25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 2,664
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 97
so 75% of the frames and some better looking dust and smoke
carl25 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #12 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 01:37 PM
333mhz
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Columbus, Oh
Posts: 35
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
nice going gents, i was just about to post some reply to the goof who thought prey stole "portal" tech. lmao, actually prey did a damn good job of using portals and made the doom 3 engine look sweet (much better than doom 3 did). btw, with the way the game ended, being engulfed by the sun and all, *** are they going to do, a prequel or something? or maybe it somehow survived lol CRAZYNESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Newms118 is offline  
post #13 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 01:40 PM
/^1?$|^(11+?)\1+$/
 
nathris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 12,985
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1004
Ok, I'll admit to not knowing that the publishers of Prey came up with the portal idea in the 90s, but it didn't go anywhere. However in 2005 Narbacular Drop was released, which actually made use of the portal idea.
Shortly after release Valve hired the developers to basically remake the game in the Half-Life setting, which would eventually become Portal, at which time they didn't even know Prey was still being made. A year later Prey was finally released with Portal being released a year later. There are hundreds of people coming up with all kinds of new idea every year, but if you don't actually use the idea and someone else comes along and makes it instead then tough luck, you lost out.

And as for the graphics, I know it doesn't account for everything, but if they are going to make a game DX10 then they should at least use an engine thats not over 5 years old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miki
You have to work a lot harder at customizing an iPhone. I'm never going back. Ever.
nathris is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #14 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 01:42 PM
4.0ghz
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Long Island,New york
Posts: 1,275
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Send a message via AIM to badreligion156 Send a message via MSN to badreligion156
for some reason that looks like openGL to me....

OSAMT: "Member of OCN Songwriter and Musician Thread"

Official Zune Owner's Club!
badreligion156 is offline  
post #15 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 02:10 PM
4.0ghz
 
RickJS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,241
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 120
Those graphics came out years ago, those are preys graphics, which means they are awesome.
RickJS is offline  
post #16 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM
4.0ghz
 
[FH415] LOKI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Newcastle
Posts: 855
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Send a message via MSN to [FH415] LOKI
Quote:
Originally Posted by badreligion156 View Post
for some reason that looks like openGL to me....
Doom 3 Engine = Open GL

EDIT:! i get your point actually
how is a Open GL game going to be DX10? lol

thread fails.
[FH415] LOKI is offline  
post #17 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 11:43 PM
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: colorado
Posts: 2,527
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 256
regardless of the accuracy of this thread, prey was a great (and underrated) game.

the dialogue was cheesy at times, but other than that it had some great gameplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by h00chi3 go_quote.gif

There are some things that smoke can come out of and still be good, for instance, a bong. Bad things for smoke to come out of, computer parts.
sli_shroom is offline  
post #18 of 22 Old 03-18-2008, 11:50 PM
Multi-Quote King
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 845
I only played the demo of Prey, but it was a fantastic game. The concept was great. I've seen it at Fry's for $10, but for some reason I still haven't picked it up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathris View Post
Is it just me or does that looks like a mix of Doom 3 and 3Dmark05...
Prey actually uses the D3 engine. I believe even all the D3 cheats work in Prey

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo
The Hundred Gunner is offline  
post #19 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 12:03 AM
Your Good Times Are Just Beginning
 
SZayat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 8,189
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1816
Quote:
Originally Posted by [FH415] LOKI View Post
Doom 3 Engine = Open GL

EDIT:! i get your point actually
how is a Open GL game going to be DX10? lol

thread fails.
Then why does the game require a "100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB" GFX card! O_o"

The Windows version was based on DX, while the Linux port utilized Open_GL.

SZayat is offline  
post #20 of 22 Old 03-19-2008, 12:20 AM
Multi-Quote King
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 10,347
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 845
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
Then why does the game require a "100% DirectX® 9.0b compatible 64MB" GFX card! O_o"

The Windows version was based on DX, while the Linux port utilized Open_GL.
I had that same question, and I think DuckieHo answered by saying DX sound libraries or something are utilized, and that's why even though the graphics are OGL based, DX is "required."

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo
The Hundred Gunner is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off