[PCGAMER] Call of Duty “has almost ruined a generation of shooter players,” says Tripwire Interactive - Page 5 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #41 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 10:25 AM
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I don't understand why people prefer realistic shooters over arena shooters. I ask this out of ignorance having not played much realistic shooters, so maybe someone can enlighten me.

In arena shooters there is advanced movement, it's fast and you run around with up to 10 unique guns for different situations. With realistic shooters you run slowly around with 2 guns, a knife and grenades. The guns seem similar with just slightly different characteristics as opposed to a big contrast of comparing a UT rocket launcher to a shock riffle.

Another thing I notice is most people that play realistic shooters use really low mouse sensitivity, while arena shooters tend to be varied because you have to make a compromise. Too low sens means you will struggle in close combat when you need to make high degree turns if people get the jump on you. On the other hand lowering your sens will help your aim. It seems realistic shooters tend to require a smaller degree of turn so there is not much of a compromise.

Anyway for me FPS died 10 years ago, but admittedly I only try realistic shooters for a few minutes before finding it dumbed down.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 12:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru000 View Post

This reallly is a good point -if games like cod and BF had a limit to the "kits" that can be on the field, like- no more than two or 3 people with m320's- that would really help a lot. and it would aid in th realisim factor too...

but i guess it's all about pleasing everyone... some people just gotta have all those farmville "unlocks", "leveling" and super solider load outs...

Problem is, realism isn't always akin to great fun. People often spout the realism argument because it's the polar opposite of what call of duty offers. Secondly, if you start limiting what people can do, then you start to tread on dangerous ground.

If you limit what people can and cant do, then you get into SimCity realms where you limit a buyers freedom to play the game the way they want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

Eh I don't know if I missed the entire point of the article, but maybe I did because I'm having to explain every statement I make. IMO- Tripwire needs to look at why players prefer CoD style gameplay. Is it simply because CoD 'did it first' ? Personally I don't find anything CoD did unique from any other 'standard military shooter'. I'm guessing CoD is getting the credit/blame simply because they were the most popular.

It's quite a simple reason... very low skill boundary to play, easily understandable objectives and a ton of marketing hype.

The more complex you make a game, the harder it is to pick up and play.

Just take a poo on his lawn, that'll sort it. Then say his slutty daughter did it. - ace8uk (2017)
post #43 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Wraith of Kuz Kalay

Liked: 85
not that im a huge supporter of ubisoft to begin with. but i blame COD for there influence on the downgrades from FC2 to FC3....

grenades no longer look real, bullets are instant hit no need to lead the target whatsoever. AND WHERE IS MY M2 AND MK19!?!?

sound samples suck too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #44 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 04:14 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryDemon View Post

Correct, and what I'm saying is that most gamers don't want 'super realistic' bullet physics or movement speed. Tripwire apparently has trouble understanding that they will never capture the 'largest gaming audience' with a realistic military shooter. In a way CoD did spoil gamers- by giving them what they want. Most people want to feel like Rambo, gaming is an escape from reality. Don't get me wrong, I respect people that play hardcore realistic shooters but it's not for me (I love unrealistic, TF2 baby!) and it won't appeal to the majority of gamers.

I dont think u understod the article too well. U are still hung up over the superficial cod vameplay and think the article suggest that is because of an unsophisticated engine, etc.

Instead of about cheaply developing the same garbage arcade crap ovr n ovr..

Having real bullets isnt about "the largest gaming audience".. it was to show how the developers let the franchise stagnate forcing millions of newbies to accept the gameplay as "standard"..
post #45 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 05:05 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 823
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post

I dont think u understod the article too well. U are still hung up over the superficial cod vameplay and think the article suggest that is because of an unsophisticated engine, etc.

Having real bullets isnt about "the largest gaming audience".. it was to show how the developers let the franchise stagnate forcing millions of newbies to accept the gameplay as "standard"..

Developers don't force anything. Everyone has their own free will to buy what they want.

To imply people are forced to buy things is a little silly. If I know a game will be bad, I don't buy it or at least wait for someone else to.

The fact millions go and buy CoD time and time again means they are happy with their last purchase, not that they are forced.

Just take a poo on his lawn, that'll sort it. Then say his slutty daughter did it. - ace8uk (2017)
post #46 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 07:31 PM
opi
PC Gamer

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcguru000 View Post

This reallly is a good point -if games like cod and BF had a limit to the "kits" that can be on the field, like- no more than two or 3 people with m320's- that would really help a lot. and it would aid in th realisim factor too...

but i guess it's all about pleasing everyone... some people just gotta have all those farmville "unlocks", "leveling" and super solider load outs...

Americas Army used to have kit limits. Only 1 or 2 snipers same with the M249 and 203s. Most of them were regular infantry with M16s. So if you were lucky enough to get the sniper or the 203 you had pressure to do your job and do it fricking well. And if you sucked at it, ohhh ho your team would let you know it. In BF3 half the team are snipers sitting on a lonely rock picking off a few targets here and there. But they do it for their own, there is no such thing as covering a flag or any of that stuff. Support guys run around spraying walls down as if they were rabid dogs marking their territory. Completely forgetting that they have ammo packs to throw down. They only throw down when miraculously they have actually ran out of ammo on their MGs. I guess and maybe I am wrong today's average FPS gamer is all about me, me, me. Teamwork isn't even an afterthought. It's all about the KDR. Sometimes you get a server though, were people are competent and it's an absolute blast and memorable, but it's uncommon for me.

America's army was awesome, if they only had a good anti-cheat. Or I would love to see BF return to it's glory days and incorporate alot of AA's ideas into the game.

post #47 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 07:42 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 56
I think it was KBMOD podcast that said it best: "Just give us another MOHAA or Enemy Territory with modern graphics"

thumb.gif

Gaming, building custom PC's, and discussing aforementioned topics is one of my valued forms of escape, so please contribute thoughtfully and respectfully! thumb.gif
post #48 of 58 Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 485
Quote:
Originally Posted by formula m View Post

Ok.

AMD needs to publish a Business Manual called "How Not to Launch a Product: Learn from our Mistakes and Succeed!".
AMD probably wont tho, because that would be a guaranteed money maker.

PassMark System Score: Passmark Rating 5,710, CPU Mark 19,985
CPU-Z Validation: LINK AIDA64: LINK
Cinebench15: LINK Geekbench3 scores: LINK Geekbench4.1 scores: LINK
UserBenchmarks: CPU: 105.5%, GPU: 111.7% MEM: 127.9%
post #49 of 58 Old 03-15-2013, 10:58 AM
PC Gaming 1337 Enforcer

Liked: 855
I'll just quote myself from another forum.
Quote:
Originally Posted by boredgunner 
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameFX 

Good read somewhat...

I hope the "somewhat" is there only because most of us should already be aware of everything he's saying.
Quote:
Call of Duty has ruined this whole generation of gamers

Oh, how very true. Look at the trend that CoD 4 started; mindless, casual games are now the favorite (and not only in the shooter genre), and even the quality of games seems to have gone downhill, with so many titles being rushed and feeling more like betas. It's funny how this applies to mainstream games than indy games.
Quote:
"They’ve taken individual skill out of the equation so much. So you see these guys—I see it all the time, they come in to play Red Orchestra, and they’re like “This game’s just too hardcore. I’m awesome at Call of Duty, so there’s something wrong with your game. Because I’m not successful at playing this game, so it must suck. I’m not the problem, it’s your game.”

This sums up most of the complaints I've seen about RO2.
Quote:
It’s this weird dichotomy between, you know, single-player is getting much more depth, and players are just eating it up. They’re loving that. They’re buying these FPS-RPG single-player games like crazy. But multiplayer, “Ooh, don’t take my training wheels off.”

I feel he's giving typical gamers too much credit. Most of them don't want their training wheels removed from their SP games either. The demand for a challenging and rewarding single player, as well as a good story has seemingly been reduced. You know something is wrong when you see people saying, "I played 50 hours of Skyrim and finished it smile.gif"

Let's not forget that so many people get confused and give up if a SP game gives them actual choices or freedom. One of the quotes in my signature is related to this. All of this contributes to why progress has slowed down for single player games too. I for one would love more games like Dragon Age Origins, Mass Effect, Skyrim/Fallout, or better yet something that combines the best of these, but we're probably never going to see such a thing.

So I agree that CoD 4 ruined shooters, especially multiplayer ones, and that it may have introduced "the wrong kind of people" into the big picture which is hurting all genres. looks around

Discussion on the Oversimplification and Removal of Content in Modern Games
How To: Improve Image Quality in Pre-DX10 Games With NVIDIA Inspector
Planescape: Torment - Enhanced Edition Discussion | [Official] SOMA - Information and Discussion | Deus Ex GMDX Discussion | Day of Infamy Information/Discussion
Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete | Planescape: Torment | Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines | Arcanum | KOTOR series | Dragon Age: Origins | Fallout series | Deus Ex (GMDX) | Anachronox | SOMA | Penumbra | Amnesia | Underhell | Cryostasis | Anna: Extended Edition | Dishonored series | Thief/Thief 2 | S.T.A.L.K.E.R. | Metro series | Rainbow Six 3: Gold | SWAT 4 | Half-Life 2 Cinematic Mod | Garry's Mod | F.E.A.R. | Dark Messiah | Crysis/Crysis Wars | Natural Selection 2 | Unreal Tournament 2004 | Arma 3 | The Talos Principle | MYST | Total War: WARHAMMER series | XCOM 2
post #50 of 58 Old 03-15-2013, 04:50 PM
Unreal Warfare

Liked: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBEG View Post

Malfunctions would be neat but probably impossible to fairly implement.

I'm pretty sure there was a game that had weapons that malfunctioned in it. For the life of me I cannot remember the name of it. thinking.gif

It's also worth noting Gears of War had weapon jams in it if you failed an active reload. It was a great risk/reward mechanic in my opinion.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page