[Official] OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club - Page 9 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #81 of 2144 Old 07-20-2015, 09:36 PM
Overclocker

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

Should just pick up a PS2 for yourself! I got mine for $40, PS2 slim, with two Dual Shock 2 controllers and about 40 games or so. They are cheap as dirt tongue.gif Games are currently really cheap too, minus the few rare and popular (mostly RPGs).

I plan on it, but right now I'm not too keen on buying more consoles or games because I've barely even touched a lot of the games I have and I dropped over $300 on the Shenmue 3 Kickstarter. tongue.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 2144 Old 07-20-2015, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter
Left OCN

Liked: 264
PS2 has a lot of excellent jRPGs...

That's my favorite genre so.

I think all time best systems for jRPGs in order are probably:

SNES - DS - PS2 - PSP - GBA

At least that I've found.

All the classic ones are on SNES, and for a more modern console, I'd definitely say the NDS wins by a large amount. It's unbelievable how many there are.

Next to that is probably PS2 and PSP. Both have some great exclusive titles.

(Btw, this includes all types of RPGs- traditional turn based, action RPG, and strategy RPG.)

Chimp Challenge Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant 

post #83 of 2144 Old 07-21-2015, 08:43 AM

Liked: 309
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotix View Post

PS2 has a lot of excellent jRPGs...

That's my favorite genre so.

I think all time best systems for jRPGs in order are probably:

SNES - DS - PS2 - PSP - GBA

At least that I've found.

All the classic ones are on SNES, and for a more modern console, I'd definitely say the NDS wins by a large amount. It's unbelievable how many there are.

Next to that is probably PS2 and PSP. Both have some great exclusive titles.

(Btw, this includes all types of RPGs- traditional turn based, action RPG, and strategy RPG.)

No mention of the PSX/PSOne? My list would start with either PSX and PS2, can't really decide right now.

Also, to Mr357...I have too many games I haven't even started yet as well...but the PS2 stuff isn't going to get much cheaper. If you wait too long to start with it, the prices may eventually go up, I would imagine. Like the N64...games used to be dirt cheap...now they aren't cheap lol Nice to get the stuff when it's at its lowest price point and easy to find.

Also, was downtown today, stopped by one of the pawnshops and picked up a couple games - Crimson Skies - High Road to Revenge on Xbox CIB ($2), and Alien 3 on Genesis Loose Cart ($5).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #84 of 2144 Old 07-21-2015, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter
Left OCN

Agreed, the PSone has excellent jRPGs, I don't know why I excluded that. It probably goes up there with the DS, ahead of the PS2 and PSP (though not by much), mostly because of it's classics.

Also, xbox games are pretty much worthless, nobody wants them. I have a bag full of around 10 complete games and the most expensive one was $5. The rest are worth cents. I also have Crimson Skies: it's an excellent game.

Chimp Challenge Participant  50 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2012 Participant 

post #85 of 2144 Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurotix View Post

Agreed, the PSone has excellent jRPGs, I don't know why I excluded that. It probably goes up there with the DS, ahead of the PS2 and PSP (though not by much), mostly because of it's classics.

Also, xbox games are pretty much worthless, nobody wants them. I have a bag full of around 10 complete games and the most expensive one was $5. The rest are worth cents. I also have Crimson Skies: it's an excellent game.

Yeah, I like Xbox collecting cause even the good stuff is dirt cheap. Also, I never had one when they were popular, so lots of Xbox exclusives I never got the chance to play. Plus, quite a few Sega releases on the Xbox. I haven't modded mine yet though, I tried, but I think I need to make a new USB cable, I keep getting half way through and then the save files I need get corrupted. I've tried a ton of USB sticks, so it's got to be the cable I guess.
post #86 of 2144 Old 07-21-2015, 11:11 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron_Henderson View Post

Yeah, I like Xbox collecting cause even the good stuff is dirt cheap. Also, I never had one when they were popular, so lots of Xbox exclusives I never got the chance to play. Plus, quite a few Sega releases on the Xbox. I haven't modded mine yet though, I tried, but I think I need to make a new USB cable, I keep getting half way through and then the save files I need get corrupted. I've tried a ton of USB sticks, so it's got to be the cable I guess.

I haven't even attempted this yet (I also need to make/buy a cable) but if the saves are getting corrupted it may be the hard drive itself. At best that drive is 10+ years old. I would hook it up to a PC and run a utility on it. I don't know if standard scandisk would be able to deal with the file system but my favorite SpinRite would definitely do it. The author says he doesn't mind if you download it to trial it. It sells for $90 so I would say trial it (again, this is a direct quote from the author; I'm not advocating piracy).
post #87 of 2144 Old 07-22-2015, 02:05 AM
please keep drinking the koolaide

Liked: 700
tbh i need to mod one of mine maybe the halo edition idk

idk though that memory mod looks fun too ! i never done one and it looks really easy tbh but i will have media pcs for all my movies anyway lol

Rigbuilder and how to put it in your sig post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gif budget components = budget resultsPearls before swine! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

Also rma wise, regardless of what vendor used it's always like getting a tooth pulled imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

I facepalmed when trying to explain cpu and gpu overclocking to him after he got his 4930k. It was like teaching trigonometry to a rock.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 go_quote.gif

That's like wrapping your car around a pole then asking for warranty service.
Dont be hard on yourself, we all break stuff sooner or later.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoCables go_quote.gif

I don't appreciate your judgment here. I am just stating facts. That's all I'm doing. If you are taking offense to it or something, then that's not my problem, so don't put it on me. Ok?...Good god man. You would know that if you would actually carefully read...
post #88 of 2144 Old 07-22-2015, 02:10 AM - Thread Starter
Left OCN

Mine is modded. I elaborated on it all already and why it's so great. (I really should get around to making a video of it.)

The cable part isn't too hard. No soldering required. I made my own cable. What I did is buy a 3rd party Xbox controller, and a Male-to-female USB cable. You cut the cords on both. Then you expose the wires inside by using an exacto knife to remove the outer rubber layer. On the inside of both is probably some braided metallic shielding, peel that back. Then, you wire the end with the Xbox controller port plug to the end with a female USB connector. The cables are all color coded, or they should be, inside both cables. You wire red to red, black to black (or blue if one is blue), green to green and white to white. The xbox controller will probably have yellow inside it. Yellow is not used.

The plus side of this method (spare Xbox controller) is that, if you wire up the male end of the usb extension cable to the Xbox controller in the same manner, it should function as a PC USB gamepad.

The rest of the stuff all has to be done in software, and that's likely the reason your transferred saves aren't working. See this link. You cannot just put the game save on a thumb drive. First, you have to format the drive to function as an xbox memory card. Also, not all USB thumb drives/flash drives will work. Your best bet is with an older one. I used a very old Sandisk 2GB drive that's my brothers, that he probably got in 2006. I'd say, the newer the drive and the larger the capacity the less chance it will work. I used this same drive for my PS2 modding, to transfer game saves from gamefaqs to the PS2 memory card using Ulaunchelf. I've tried newer drives and they didn't work. Anyway, the software stuff requires that you do some stuff on your PC using a couple different programs, some kind of action replay program for PC. Also, I personally used the Splinter Cell exploit. I don't know about the other methods.

Once you actually get the SID running, and mod your box, that's where all the fun begins. That means, yet more time and energy to set up everything you want on it. This means finding emulators, getting XBMC, and so on and so forth. If you guys get your boxes modded and want the names of the emulators I use, just ask.

http://www.xbmc4xbox.org.uk/ is the first thing you'll want to get.

If you have more questions, pm me.

post #89 of 2144 Old 07-22-2015, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the help guys, but I followed quite a few guides to get it working, and all I can think is that when I taped up my DIY USB cable, I shorted something. I just need to pull it all back apart and have another go at it. I bought quite a few USB sticks thinking that was the problem...I was using the MechAssault save I think, or whatever the Mech game is. I got the game with my Xbox. I can sometimes get the save to transfer to the HDD, but it's always corrupted. I don't think the Xbox HDD is going, all my saves work fine and don't get corrupted, just the ones I was trying to transfer from the USB stick. Like I said, I just need to set some time aside and have another go with a new cable or fix the old one. I was never in much of a hurry to get it modded, to be honest, because of how cheap games are now, and I have PCs everywhere in the house. Would be neat to get it modded though...just because. I actually have two Xbox, one doesn't have a working DVD drive though, and also has boot issues from time to time if it's warmed up and I try to restart it. All the caps looked OK, not sure what the cause of that is.

Also, got an adapter cable in the mail to hook up the only CD burner I have that works for burning Dreamcast discs...it's out of an old laptop. So I got a Sata slim to USB adapter. Hope it works, it worked when i put the drive into a laptop to try, so it should work with the adapter. Not sure why none of the other drives I have work for Dreamcast stuff, but this one has had a perfect run so far, not one failed disc yet. I noticed some people talking about burning Sega CD discs in this or the Sega thread, hoping it might work for those too when the time comes. Burning garbage discs is a pain in the rear. Cost a lot of time, and even the 80 min CD-Rs are getting a little pricey.
post #90 of 2144 Old 07-22-2015, 02:28 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 72

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page