Lattyware's Guide To LAN Parties - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 25 Old 02-13-2008, 11:10 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Ya I'm an officer of our school organization MSU Hivemind. We're hosting our Spring LAN this sunday. We have about 9 24-port switches on a gigabit backbone with 5 dedicated servers. We have a 300amp setup for power. It takes a lot of planning for a LAN of +60 plus people. It's a fun time especially when we get DJ's to host for free and actually get prizes. It's a fun enviroment playing against gamers that you can talk to face to face. Great guide!

CS:S 270Cubans

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 25 Old 02-15-2008, 07:14 PM
Database Developer

Liked: 92
Never been to LAN. There arent really any around where i live, so online ftw.

party.gifheadphone.gifHARDER STYLEZ OF OCN CLUBheadphone.gifparty.gif
post #13 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM

Liked: 8
I haven't been to a LAN is so long. I used to host them at my house with 4 - 6 Xboxs playing Halo 2. I've never had/been to one with PCs though. I would love to go to one playing CSS or BF or something. Anyone know of any in the Orlando/UCF area?

Also, if you are a younger kid like I was when i first hosted them at my house, make sure your mom isn't home...haha. My mom absolutely HATED LANs. She would have to stick out the noise for hours and we would all get hungry, so she would have to feel like 10 hungry boys every weekend.......sry mom

"KB"

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 25 Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter
They call me Latty.

Liked: 393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle918 View Post
I haven't been to a LAN is so long. I used to host them at my house with 4 - 6 Xboxs playing Halo 2. I've never had/been to one with PCs though. I would love to go to one playing CSS or BF or something. Anyone know of any in the Orlando/UCF area?

Also, if you are a younger kid like I was when i first hosted them at my house, make sure your mom isn't home...haha. My mom absolutely HATED LANs. She would have to stick out the noise for hours and we would all get hungry, so she would have to feel like 10 hungry boys every weekend.......sry mom

"KB"
Too true - I doubt I'll ever have something as big as the biggest ones I have had again in this house.

If you can't find a LAN party - set one up yourself! I host the majority of the ones I go to. I have never been to/hosted one where I didn't know everyone there yet, because my area is not exactly amazing for people, but I hope to do something or go to one at some point.

Lattyware | Main PC: Shinobu | Gaming: Nodoka | Fileserver: Index | HTPC: Hanako
Never been convinced by Linux? Here is a challenge. | Using LVM
Scratched Disc? | Guide To LAN Parties | Writing a GUI application in Python/Glade
Etching an image into your case. | Wireless Access Points: Easy wireless networking.
A Member Of The OCN Anime/Manga Club
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." --Evelyn Beatrice Hall
post #15 of 25 Old 03-02-2008, 01:18 PM - Thread Starter
They call me Latty.

As a random update, I'm having a 10-man 24 hour blast soon, I'll let you all know how it goes. Should be great fun. We actually are going down to a local restaurant (I live about 5mins from one) to eat - which takes the strain away from cooking, and gives a little bit of cool-down-time for the room I'd recommend doing it.

Actually, I'll have been to 6 lan parties over 7 weeks with that. Not bad.

Lattyware | Main PC: Shinobu | Gaming: Nodoka | Fileserver: Index | HTPC: Hanako
Scratched Disc? | Guide To LAN Parties | Writing a GUI application in Python/Glade
Etching an image into your case. | Wireless Access Points: Easy wireless networking.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it." --Evelyn Beatrice Hall
post #16 of 25 Old 05-18-2008, 09:29 PM

Liked: 113
I just read this, and I think that it is really good. I may use your guide next time I host a LAN. BTW, with CoD4 on Console System Link, you can try to go online. We had 8 Xbox's online using our own classes in private matches. No Lag at all. (I have Comcast Cable) But then we tried with Halo 3 and we all lagged out... .... CoD4eva!
post #17 of 25 Old 05-18-2008, 09:53 PM

Liked: 41
No server talk?

post #18 of 25 Old 05-18-2008, 11:19 PM

Liked: 129
Ya we hosted a small Diablo II lan the other night in the computer labs on my University. We made custom images for the lan even with XP and Diablo II. Large lans can be are fun but sometimes small lans with a few good friends are better. We could talk about servers but this really isn't the thread i guess..

CS:S 270Cubans

2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #19 of 25 Old 05-19-2008, 12:00 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 45
Ive always wanted to have a LAN party... COD 2 or 4 I just have this problem where I live. The Console gamers almost hate the PC gamers.. Its like skateboarding kids v.s. the inline skaters.. Prob will not have a very good turnout.. Nice guide though!

I'm going ASUS. One penny at a time...
- Myself
post #20 of 25 Old 05-19-2008, 05:27 AM - Thread Starter
They call me Latty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F3t1sh View Post
No server talk?
Personally, most of my LANs are console games, or games where dedicated servers are not necessary. Especially for the numbers involved. As that's so, it's not really my area of expertise.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page