Looking to build an ultra high-end water-cooled system. Please help. - Page 4 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 07:02 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 225
You can use my rig as a 'blueprint' of sorts.
I didn't opt for a 980/990x since the 970 can do what they do quite well at half the price. Also, for gaming, you really don't need 6 cores. (Actually, an i5 2500k + Z68 FTW mobo + 8GB of ram would be ideal. Change up as you see fit. I'd recommend a larger case for more cooling, as I'll be upgrading cooling and case shortly. (the 800D is a monster in its own right, but requires heavy modding for larger rad support)

GRENADE ALERT!!! GRENADE IN THE HOUSE! ABORT!! ABORT!!!

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 07:06 AM
4.0 GHz

Liked: 439
If the budget is supposed to include monitors? They will take a fair chunk of the money. Maybe 3 ISP panels ether 23" or 27". All so the sound system can get pricy if you go for some thing that actually sounds good. A decent amp 5 speakers and a active subwoofer $1000 puff gone. No point in trying to spend the whole budget on computer itself.

The XFX 4890 post 2 year reference cooler fan bearing service
NZXT Tempest Community
[Worklog] NZXT Tempest eats a 360 rad (hopefully)
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjas go_quote.gif

you under-estimate the power of e-peen, you'll whither and waiver to it's power, and finally succumb.
Bow to e-peen and buy.
post #33 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 07:14 AM

Liked: 225
Indeed. Components add up very quickly. If $5500 is your overall budget, you may surpass it once the monitors/speakers/etc come into play.

GRENADE ALERT!!! GRENADE IN THE HOUSE! ABORT!! ABORT!!!

Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  100 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Audiophile

Liked: 66
I would amend my earlier build to include these bad boys, 2.2 ghz ram sounds pretty awesome

FLAC>FOOBAR2000/ROCKBOX>Fiio E7>FiioL7 LOD/UDAC2>O2>HD650/HD428
sniper.gifaaskull.gif<The Official Cooler Master Storm Sniper Club>aaskull.gifsniper.gif

Hidden Text Below! (Click for funny)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope go_quote.gif
I love how the concept of using powerful computers for actual work really throws some people for a loop...

----
"Yeah, I agree with that. Some guy at my college has a pair of black and red Beats Solo and he only uses his Beats headphones when he is wearing his red hoodie and black jeans. When he isn't wearing his hoodie and jeans he uses a cheap pair of Sony headphones."

"surely it'd be cheaper to buy a red hat ? also the sound quality would be better as well"

Chimp Challenge Participant 

post #35 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM
Programmer

Liked: 6
As others have said the components and budget really depend on if your 5500 includes the monitors or not, since that would be a pretty significant chunk of your budget. If you could get back to everyone on that it would be easier to make a more accurate build you could go off of.

post #36 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 02:59 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper2 View Post
I am looking to build a fully water-cooled gaming rig for approximately $5500. Some components I have decided for sure on are:
  • Graphics Cards: 580 3GB Tri-Sli (yes, I play at very high resolutions).
  • Storage: One 120GB SSD Drive and one 1.5TB SATA Drive (not sure which models to get though).
  • Optical Drive: One Blu-Ray Reader/DVD Writer (not sure which model to get).
Can you all please make suggestions as to what are the best components for the entire build (case, CPU, motherboard, RAM, water-cooling system, etc.) to get for my budget?

Thank you all very much!
GPU's 3GB only if you will be using multiple monitors in 25x16, eVGA
SSD 4x64GB with a LSI Raid card in Raid 0, very fast
Storage 3TB
Case CaseLabs hands down-check my build
CPU I opted for the 990x, but thats just me
MB I am an ASUS fan, RIIIE or black
RAM Corsiar Dominator
H20 I am an Aqua fan

It's difficult say which components are best. After doing this for ten years, I stick with has worked for me in the past.
post #37 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 03:03 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 613
Spend $3k on the computer and use the rest to do this:

1) Rent a BMW M5 for a couple days.
2) Drive to El Montecito (in Las Vegas, Nevada).
3) Go to the night club.
4) Enjoy your favorite drink, and get a Dry Gin for me.
5) Save the rest and repeat as many days as you can

Just be sure to not drink too much, so you can tell your friends what you did

With the 3k... wait for SB-E man!!

post #38 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullinz;14534253 
As others have said the components and budget really depend on if your 5500 includes the monitors or not, since that would be a pretty significant chunk of your budget. If you could get back to everyone on that it would be easier to make a more accurate build you could go off of.

My $5500 budget is for my system only. I already have monitors, keyboard, mouse, and other peripherals.
post #39 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 PM
Audiophile

Liked: 66
then you should really get the build i posted with the new ram, the th-10, and assorted blocks and rads, id go with black blocks, silver fittings and red tubing redface.gif
maybe consider a 4th 580 if you want

FLAC>FOOBAR2000/ROCKBOX>Fiio E7>FiioL7 LOD/UDAC2>O2>HD650/HD428
sniper.gifaaskull.gif<The Official Cooler Master Storm Sniper Club>aaskull.gifsniper.gif

Hidden Text Below! (Click for funny)Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Epitope go_quote.gif
I love how the concept of using powerful computers for actual work really throws some people for a loop...

----
"Yeah, I agree with that. Some guy at my college has a pair of black and red Beats Solo and he only uses his Beats headphones when he is wearing his red hoodie and black jeans. When he isn't wearing his hoodie and jeans he uses a cheap pair of Sony headphones."

"surely it'd be cheaper to buy a red hat ? also the sound quality would be better as well"

post #40 of 56 Old 08-10-2011, 10:52 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 60
Well OP - which would you prefer? AMD or Intel - this way those of us with configurations have a better idea of what to look for. Obviously AMD is the better value per dollar spent, however the Intel build will have more performance as of now. Currently with the new processor generations coming out things are still up in the air short term (Bulldozer in September, Socket 2011 in Q1 of 2012)

If you decide the AMD route I would strongly recommend "gimping" yourself on the short term, getting a slower quad or even the x6, and getting the highest end bulldozer possible in september for the 8-core goodness (and 4ghz+ clocks).

If you go the Intel route I wont be of much help admittedly as I've been an AMD person for awhile and havn't kept up on Intel as much as a good nerd should have.

Also - what games do you play, what are your current monitors and other devices you have? having a small list will help us provide better components for you smile.gif

Heatware // OCN Creed: "Room too cold? Overclock More"

Audio Setup: Sound Blaster Z (optical out) -> & Marantz SR7000 -> AKG K712 & Pair Ar2x-c speakers.

Overclock.net - 2010 Foldathon Participant  Chimp Challenge 2 x Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page