[Build Log] Orange You Glad You Switched? (re-build, Switch 810) - Page 18 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #171 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 06:12 AM
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJesus View Post

Lol.
Ah, just use spray paint, sharpies would take too long and look trashy thumb.gif
On a separate note, I ordered a Powercolor 7950 since the Sapphire's are OOS and no sign of them returning frown.gif It doesn't really matter since I'll be blocking it and throwing a backplate on.
Also, I've been doing some of the sleeving and have a pretty good idea of what I'm doing with it, but Paracord is a pain in the ass to work with.

I heard that since the NZXT was like power coated or something I would not be able to spray paint it. Like I would have to use sandpaper first or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #172 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Liked: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoMann View Post

I heard that since the NZXT was like power coated or something I would not be able to spray paint it. Like I would have to use sandpaper first or something.

I did sand mine first, but that's just the recommendation for anything that has paint on it. Get some 60/80 grit sandpaper, sand it to the metal (parts that will be painted), get 120/150, sand some more, get 250+, and sand a bit more for the best surface. Primer, wait 24 hours, paint, 45 minutes, top coat with clear. All of the paint method is on the actual spray paint instructions. Its really not that difficult thumb.gif

If you respond to one of my posts in a very busy thread, I probably won't see it, so feel free to message me.
post #173 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 09:24 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 109
Quote:

I did sand mine first, but that's just the recommendation for anything that has paint on it. Get some 60/80 grit sandpaper, sand it to the metal (parts that will be painted), get 120/150, sand some more, get 250+, and sand a bit more for the best surface. Primer, wait 24 hours, paint, 45 minutes, top coat with clear. All of the paint method is on the actual spray paint instructions. Its really not that difficult thumb.gif

is this the same thing you would do If you were painting the outside of a radiator? I want to paint mine white.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #174 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyg0od33 View Post

is this the same thing you would do If you were painting the outside of a radiator? I want to paint mine white.

I'm going to give you a very strong upfront warning, my rad was the biggest pain in the ass to paint ever.

If you don't have a way of hanging it and then painting it, you're going to have issues with one side of it becoming super tacky and not setting correctly. I ended up just painting the sides that mattered and would be visible biggrin.gif (after sanding and painting it 3 or 4 times rolleyes.gif )

But yes, the method is identical, give me a few and I'll show you how mine turned out with gloss black smile.gif

If you respond to one of my posts in a very busy thread, I probably won't see it, so feel free to message me.
post #175 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 09:46 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Here's the EX240 I painted vs. a Black Ice GTX Xtreme M92 I have (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7141/ex-rad-127/Black_Ice_GTX_Xtreme_M92_Radiator_-_Black.html)

DSC_0008-16.jpg
DSC_0009-8.jpg
DSC_0010-12.jpg
DSC_0011-10.jpg

Now, I will admit, if you want a great paint job, you'll have to do wet sanding, but I don't care nearly enough tongue.gif

post #176 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 11:21 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 109
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
Quote:

Here's the EX240 I painted vs. a Black Ice GTX Xtreme M92 I have (http://www.frozencpu.com/products/7141/ex-rad-127/Black_Ice_GTX_Xtreme_M92_Radiator_-_Black.html)
DSC_0008-16.jpg
DSC_0009-8.jpg
DSC_0010-12.jpg
DSC_0011-10.jpg
Now, I will admit, if you want a great paint job, you'll have to do wet sanding, but I don't care nearly enough tongue.gif

That looks good. Yeah I was just looking for something like this:

He said he just sanded, then primed with automobile primer, and painted with an automobile spray paint.
I have a slightly busted rad that I got from a forum member so I may try painting that first.

post #177 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyg0od33 View Post

Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
That looks good. Yeah I was just looking for something like this:
He said he just sanded, then primed with automobile primer, and painted with an automobile spray paint.
I have a slightly busted rad that I got from a forum member so I may try painting that first.

Yeah, just make sure you use painter's tape on the fins smile.gif

Its not too awful, you just need to be able to hang the rad from somewhere when you paint it and dry it, otherwise the paint pools underneath and ruins it.

post #178 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 12:47 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Updated 2nd post go check it out for my current work biggrin.gif

post #179 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 04:34 PM
Programmer

Liked: 21
Looking good thumb.gif
I think my favorite part is the CPU cooler. I say keep that and forget the work you did on your rads tongue.gif

Imagination is more important than knowledge.

I <3 Mechanical Keyboard

[BUILD] Project BLU [coming soon] - Apple G5 Mod
[BUILD] Switch3d - NZXT 810
[PARTS] mini Collider - EVGA Hadron Air
[PARTS] Prod1gy - BitFenix Prodigy

Chimp Challenge Participant  2 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #180 of 242 Old 03-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Liked: 3
Couple Q's. What method/materials did you use to paint the mesh on the case? It's really vivid.
Also, does the top (where the slide-able grill is) accept 38mm fans, or just 25?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page