post #1 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Project BLACK ICE

Summary
Build log for my dream game system. I do not consider myself to be an expert in the OC area but I have built my fair share of rigs and this will be my 3rd watercooled system.

Objective
Complete a high performance gaming rig with optimum watercooling NO external radiators and NO extensive case modifications while keeping the rig neat, clean, and not so hard on the eyes. My last rig was the opposite where I modified a Cosmo S case and had a 4x140mm radiator externally off the back. My goal this time will be to fit a 3x120mm and two 1x140mm radiators inside the case.

Today's participants from the hardware corner....please feel free to offer your recommendations and thoughts should I need to make some last minute roster changes...after all this is my dream system thumb.gifHardware! (Click to show)
  • Corsair Obsidian 800d
  • EVGA x79 FTW Motherboard
  • Intel 3930k
  • Corsair Dominator 16gb
  • Two EVGA 690 GTX Vid Cards
  • Corsair AX1200 Power Supply
  • Corsair Force GT 480gb SSD
  • Lite-On Blu-Ray burner

Today's participants from the watercooling corner. H2O! (Click to show)
  • MCP35x2 Pump
  • FrozenQ Fusion core Bay reservoir
  • Primochill Pro LRT UV Blue 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
  • One - UT60 3x120mm Radiator
  • Two - UT60 1x140mm Radiators
  • Two - Koolance 690 waterblocks
  • Swiftech APOGEE HD Ultimate Extreme Performance Water Block - Black
  • Fill port, drains, valves, flow sensor, temp sensor and assorted bitspower compression fittings.

Last from the fans, lighting, misc corner. Fans & Lighting (Click to show)
  • Corsair Link Fan and Lighting module
  • Corsair AF140mm Silent Fans
  • Corsair AF 120mm Silent Fans
  • Modright sound dampening material.

Starting Thoughts
I am really going to do my best to not modify the 800d case. This is a personal challenge for me to see how creatively I can get all of the components in there without having to reingineer the case itself. I also hope this will server as a template for entry level watercoolers out there that want to dive into this fun and fascinating world but may be intimidated by some of the more advanced build logs out there.

Eventhough this is just the beginning of the log it's not official without some sort of proof so here is a shot of my treasure chest!

I know they are not in the picture but I assure you I have the 690's in my possession (or I should say my wifes). I will get a pic of them up Friday night when I get back from business. I will be officially starting this build on Saturday and am hoping to get a large portion of it done and posted by the end of the weekend.

Thanks for following in advance and I hope my log can help someone out how so many of these threads have helped me in the past!

Cheers,
Antjel

Friday June 22, 2012 The Good and already the Bad! (Click to show)
Well I am just getting started and even though you think all of those hours of research have paid off it only takes 1 min to realize your giant Corsair 800d isn't big enough for your EVGA x79 Classified. Oye! Well I will be swapping the bad boy out for the EVGA x79 FTW now. This is going to slow my build down a little but I can start mounting the other components in the meantime.

Speaking of other components I installed the FrozenQ Fusion Core Bay Reservoir. In addition I ran a fill port from the top of the case to the reservoir for easy access. However installing the tubing was the hardest part.
I only mounted the reservoir on the back side of the case. This did require the drilling of two holes since it seems you still can't get a reservoir that supports tooless rails. The good thing is drilling holes is an easy mod and because the mounting clips are oval shaped you can really just eye it and make the hole. Here is a pic of where I drilled my holes.
Since I only mounted the res on one side I noticed with the the front panel back on it wasn't resting flush. I solved this problem by using a little bit of sound dampening material I got on close out from Performance PCs. You can get a pack for $1.99 right now and it make great filler if you need just a little spacer or wedge. It's soft and anti-vibration to boot so you can't go wrong. WIN! You can see the material on the right in the pic below.
For the fill port I just used a 1" hole saw drill bit to install. With any luck this will be the last case modification for this build. In the pic below you can see how I ran the tubing from the fill port to the res.
The last pic shows the final look with the res and fill port on the case.

That's all for tonight guys. I am going to start planning my pump placement tomorrow and spend the remainder of tonight drinking to forget my big snafu with the mobo selection.

Cheers,
Antjel

Oh I almost forgot...As promised proof of the 690's and I will be going with the koolance blocks. I had already ordered them before the EVGA hyrdo's were released and I am looking into something more creative to do with the LED's off of the cards.

Monday July 2, 2012 And now for something completely different...oh wait yes more logging (Click to show)

Ok so it took a little while to get my board replaced and during that time I ordered some M3x0.50x50mm screws among other little goodies to help me along...

While I was waiting for all the fun stuff to arrive I took the liberty to flush my RADs...Everyone has their own process for flushing and I found this way on youtube and liked the idea since last time I was filling and shaking with vinegar and water for days trying to get everything out.

Radiator Flushing Video

I ran each of of my radiators for 30min-1hr with distilled water. Surprisingly these Alphacool UT60s were pretty clean straight out of the box. My previous XSPCs had a little more bits and pieces come out. However, I wouldn't endorse skipping the flushing process on either.

Moving on I also mounted my MCP35x2 pump. As you can see in the pic I managed to keep in line with my no mod mantra and utilized the existing holes on my hard drive cage. I was also lucky enough to find holes to line up and not obstruct either of the two tooless rails!

I also chose to mount the Corsair Link in the lower HD slot. Here is a shot of it. It comes with two additional smaller modules one for the LED light strips and the other for the Fan and Temps sensors. I will be adding an additional Fan module "Cooling Node" to support the pump as well. Apparently there is some issues with the fan controller and pumps at this time so I may be running at full speed all the time at first but I think I can handle that until a new version of the software is released.

Lastly I had to break down and mod a little. For those of you familiar with the 800d there is a fan cover over the HD bay. Since my pump is now feeding into it I decided to put a hole and a grommet in it to feed the lines out. This was done with a dremel (poorly, I hope Mr. Armageddon isn't watching!). I used a spare grommet for the 800d I had and viola it almost looks like it belongs there thumb.gif

Final Thoughts
I have started dry fitting everything to finalize my plumbing. The EVGA x79 blocks were just released so I had to grab them and add them to the build. They will be arriving this week and then I will be mounting everything, running the plumbing and starting my leak test. I am really excited to kick this build off, those 690's are haunting me and I can't wait to see what they can do.
CodofMC likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 10:28 PM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 20
This should be sweet, enjoy!

biggrin.gif
post #3 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 10:32 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 78
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 10:46 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

That will be a BEAST of a rig...looks like you are going all out...
Should of gotten the Plextor M3 Pro 512GB instead of the Corsair Force GT: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820249022
Expensive as hell, but best SSD around. Ok, now im being picky. Sorry! tongue.gif
Looks like a sick build man!

Thanks for the info. In that price range it's not much more than the 480gb Force GT (I paid $619 with free shipping from Amazon). Stat sheet wise they look pretty much the same other than the size difference. Did you see a review or benchmark that makes it stand out from the rest of the pack? Honestly my biggest concern right now is getting enough vram out of the 690s when I get my 3 24" monitors. I just don't understand why the reference cards never prepare for SLI.

Cheers,
Antjel
post #5 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 10:59 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antjel View Post

Thanks for the info. In that price range it's not much more than the 480gb Force GT (I paid $619 with free shipping from Amazon). Stat sheet wise they look pretty much the same other than the size difference. Did you see a review or benchmark that makes it stand out from the rest of the pack? Honestly my biggest concern right now is getting enough vram out of the 690s when I get my 3 24" monitors. I just don't understand why the reference cards never prepare for SLI.
Cheers,
Antjel

Specs don't mean everything (actually, much less than most people would think) when it comes to SSDs. The issue with Force GT is that it uses SandForce controller instead of Marvell, which are regarded by most as being far better...in terms of overall performance and especially reliability.

Issues with Sandforce drives: http://www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread/300#post_16460824

He also says,

"I don't recommend them much due to issues I have had with them.

Intel SandForce SSDs are excused as they have better non-buggy firmware and are recommended.

However, if you would like to purchase one because of the appealing price point I will help you understand which are better than the others. Here we are focusing on the NAND the drive uses and the type of data it will be handling. There are two types of data that your drive processes, they are compressible and incompressible. Depending on what you use your SSD for will help determine which SSD you want.

SandForce drives aren't known to be the most reliable drives on the market due to many issues with their firmware and support. But, with the latest firmware issues have gone down drastically and since LSI has purchased SandForce there should be improvements in support."

Sean's personal SSD rankings: http://www.overclock.net/t/1179518/seans-ssd-buyers-guide-information-thread#user_SeansrecommendedSSDs

1. Corsair Performance Pro = Plextor M3 Pro
2. Plextor M3 = Samsung 830 = Intel 520 > Crucial M4 > Intel 330 > OCZ Vertex 4
3. Intel 510 > Intel 320

FYI - I 100% agree with this ranking based on my own research as well.

Personally, if I was you...I'd return the Force GT if you still can and grab a 512GB Plextor M3 Pro, Plextor M3, Samsung 830, or even the 512GB Crucial M4 for $399!!

But you'll probably be fine either way...I think they have fixed most of the issues that plagued sandforce, back in the day... and its a lot more reliable than it used to be. Up to you...but that 512GB Crucial M4 for $399 is even tempting to me..and I have no use for it. lol.
post #6 of 25 Old 06-20-2012, 11:26 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by malikq86 View Post

SandForce drives aren't known to be the most reliable drives on the market due to many issues with their firmware and support. But, with the latest firmware issues have gone down drastically and since LSI has purchased SandForce there should be improvements in support.
Interesting stuff. I actually went with the Force GT because I knew it had synchronous memory but I didn't realize there has been some issues with the controller in general. I am just at the 30 day mark on this and I am currently out of town but going to see if I can start a return in the morning and squeeze it in...if not I will have to risk it.

Thanks for the info guys!

Cheers,
Antjel
post #7 of 25 Old 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM
PC Gamer

Liked: 3
Very interested in this build, good luck!

post #8 of 25 Old 06-21-2012, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stein357 View Post

Very interested in this build, good luck!

Thanks I can't wait to get started on this.

The money pit...nice name man!

Cheers,
Antjel
post #9 of 25 Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM

Liked: 4
I've counted 12 additional fans..You aren't concerned about silence, do You? wink.gif

If you think you're dead, you've been listening to... HEAD
post #10 of 25 Old 06-22-2012, 07:20 PM
Case Modder

Liked: 190
Did I read that correctly.. sli gtx 690?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page