Beginner looking for some advice - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 11-19-2012, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone

I've been doing a bit of research and wanted to do a quick sanity check on what I've decided/seen so far.

First, I've already bought my base system, keeping watercooling in mind.
Case: NZXT Switch 810 (PSU mounted with intake from bottom)
CPU: AMD 8320
Graphics: GTX 680 (EVGA 02G-P4-2680-KR)
MB: Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 rev 1.2?

I want to do CPU+GPU, but after seeing how hot my NB gets even at low load (by feel, see below) I'm considering doing something about that, maybe just an aftermarket sink though? I'm also considering making the back fan on the case an intake unless theres some issue with doing this.
What lead me to check my NB temp was the reported temps... not sure what those correspond to but spraying an air duster at the NB or MOSFET heatsink doesn't budge those temps, but the SB did seem to change the first temp (that one's always pretty cool anyway though). The 3rd one is always about 12C above CPU reported temp, and matches almost all spikes. The 2nd one is a few C above the 3rd at low load, more flat, and as load increases it starts to match the CPU temp more until at peak its a few C below the CPU temp.

First, for the graphics card... I've seen that the "-KR" means it has a certain warranty, so that means the board is the same as the 02G-P4-2680, right? I want to get a full cover for the card.
For CPU, I hear most of the blocks have very similar performance, have not settled on one yet.

For radiator, I was thinking the alphacool 3x140 60mm thick radiator, I'm going for quiet operation and this seems like a good option.
I've seen on this forum though that the case I have might require some fiddling to get it to fit - would that be with the case itself or the radiator?
I'm not planning on push/pull, just pull. With the low fins per inch, I shouln't have to worry too much about fan's pressure rating right? I was thinking simple low-noise ones like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103077

I know there's other places in my case to mount additional radiators, like on the bottom or some sort of rigging in the front (I plan on removing the top drive bay), whould this be advisable at all, perhaps as an alternative to fitting the 140mm rad in the top and instead going with 120.

Thanks in advance for any advice
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-20-2012, 10:33 PM
Cookie

Liked: 250
That card has a reference 680 PCB. It's fine. I would fiddle with the case, not the rad. Breaking a tube would be very bad. Yes, low FPI is better for lower pressure, and 3x140mm is plenty.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-21-2012, 12:17 AM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
Thanks. For the NB/MOSFET heatsinks, would replacing them with something like http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708003 and http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835708016 and reversing the rear fan be enough? Do you think I can get away with just the NB sink and leave the stock MOSFET one?

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page