Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello everyone,

I've been reading these forums for quite some time now, and I've decided to create an account to ask you all a personalized question.

I want to include my PC specs and the water cooling system that I acquired used and have completely cleaned, except the reservoir currently, and acquired the additional parts using the recommended items in these forums.

My PC:

GPU = EVGA GTX 580 FTW 3GB Hydro Copper 2 (NewEgg)
CPU = Intel Core i5-3570k OC @ 4.5ghz (Currently has a Cooler Master Hyper 212+ Installed)
Mobo = ASRock Z77 Extreme4

The Water Cooling System:
Pump: Laing DDC 3.2 (Pretty sure this is the same as a Swiftech MCP355)
Reservoir: Thermaltake AquaBay M3 (This still needs to be cleaned, any suggestions?)
Radiators: Swiftech 2x 120mm double pass (MCR220-QP-K) and a Danger Den 120mm (Single Pass)
CPU Block: OCZ HYDROFLOW HF-MK1 (Should I even use this?)
Southbridge Block: Danger Den Southbridge Block (Not sure the model?)

I'm using PrimoChill 3/8" ID tube with 3/8" OD barbs.

-What is the optimal way to set this up?
-Should I avoid using the cheap cpu block and keep my hyper 212+?
-Should i disregard using the southbridge block?
-Will this pump handle the 2 radiators and the blocks?
-Whats the best way to clean my res?
-Any tips on my initial setup? (I've never done water cooling before, all my research has been the past week)

Thanks in advance for any input anyone can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 07:05 PM
Cookie

Liked: 250
Set up: have the pump lower than the reservoir and try to minimize the length you your tubing.
If you are happy with your overclock on your i5 and you don't mind the noise, keep the 212.
For the southbridge block, unless you are using every PCI slot, every sata port and all the USBs at once, there's no point.
Yes the pump will handle the rads and blocks
I'm not sure about how to clean your res.
PATIENCE
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
Programmer

Hey Legonut,

Thanks for the reply!
I think I'm about ready to toss the reservoir... Does anyone have experience with thermaltake's Customer Support? I'm hoping they will sell me the plastic res part cheap, considering the whole thing new was only 30 bucks and its discontinued, plus I don't need the tubes, springs, clamps, bay, or the compression fittings that it came with.

Anyways, would it be okay to seat the pump in the same bay as the res? The res doesn't take up the whole bay, it seems like they intentionally left a spot for a pump, probably not my model specifically. Is it okay to use Velcro on the pump? And should I keep it right side up, or would turning it upside down be okay?

I'm probably going to hold off on the CPU block until I get the hang of this better and maybe get another block. I'm not certain that one I have supports lga 1155 anyways. My temps after OC are just fine with the air cooling, and the sound isn't bothering me. The GPU fan from my 460 is bothering me during peak, but that's why I'm switching to this GTX 580 with the swiftech block. Is it hard to add blocks in the future?

Is there a preffered method of pushing vs pulling on my rads? I've heard good arguments both way and personally cannot decipher which is better. I feel like it almost doesn't matter but never hurts to ask, right?
How should I clean the rads out? I bought them used and so I have no idea what's up there. Also, do I need to use both to cool just my gpu?

So after my loop is finished, I fill the res, turn the pump on, and continue to fill the res until it sustains about 3/4? How long should I let the loop run before turning on my pc?

Thanks again to anyone willing to help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:02 PM
nVidia Enthusiast

Liked: 37
1. To clean out a new radiator, just flush it out with distilled water. Also, keep pump rightside up and always below reservoir. If you want it in a bay drive, get a pump/res combo.

2. If you want to watercool your CPU, but not take the whole res/pump/rad/block route, why not get a corsair H50 -> H100? smile.gif. You could then focus on getting that "egg cooker" watercooled properly, lol.

3. Down the line, if you want to watercool both CPU, and GPU, I would suggest getting a case that can fit a 360 radiator. Two 240 rad's would just make the case look ugly with tubes everywhere.

4. Welcome to watercooling!! thumb.gif

post #5 of 7 Old 02-28-2013, 11:14 PM

Liked: 64
I dont think your pump needs to be rightside up specificaly but i dunno if i would be keen on flipping it completely. I would think youd want gravity pushing water down to the intake valve. Here is how mine is, it is the same pump

Im a furry artist!

If interested PM me for my gallery

~*~*OCN FURRY FAN CLUB*~*~

post #6 of 7 Old 03-01-2013, 11:03 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

I really wanted a bay res so that I could see my liquid from the outside, but what would be a good DDC 3.2 top res to use?
post #7 of 7 Old 03-03-2013, 10:22 AM - Thread Starter
Programmer

So I went and bought a new res for my system, and it was too big, it's the BP 250 Inline res, really nice, but too big.
I'll probably go back and get the xpsc single bay res. I'm thinking about getting a new pump and rads too, I found out I need 2x 140mm rads instead of the 2x 120mm that I have. Really sucks for me...
What's a good way to test my pump and make sure it is performing well?
Any help is appreciated here.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page