Before I start my loop - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 117 Old 03-08-2013, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter
 
tanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
hey guys
I think now I have all the parts for water cooling. My parts
EX360
EX240
EK-DDC X-RES 140 CSQ
MCP355
EK Supremacy
EK 7970 CSQ

now before I start putting everything together, would this work or what is the best configuration?


tanton is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 117 Old 03-08-2013, 08:07 PM
WaterCooler
 
Liqu1dShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
have a look at the thread I started before, roughly the same thing though yours is on a much bigger scale lol thumb.gif

I would thinking that going to the CPU then GPU would be a good idea, but im just guessing

http://www.overclock.net/t/1369091/i-thought-i-would-photoshop-my-proposed-loop

-=]░▒▓███ OCN Water Cooling Club ███▓▒░[=-
-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-
Liqu1dShadow is offline  
post #3 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 12:00 PM
New to Overclock.net
 
Stickeelion's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Australia
Posts: 1,123
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 64
That would certainly work though it isn't optimal Tanton,

the way your doing it your feeding cold water to the reservoir and the pump, the chips need that water. It it would be best to go Reservoir>Pump>240Rad>CPU>360RAD>GPU>Reservoir, Basically the entire system will have a certain amount oh heat it will dissipate and this will stay the same no matter where the parts are. howver the temperature at different parts of the loop will be different, so the pump will put heat in the water, then the GPU will ad more and you CPU will be getting pretty sweaty with all that hot water on it.

There's a whole complex thermodynamics theory behind it I won't go into (unless you want me to smile.gif )

So basically what you want is to have the radiators cooling the water just before it gets to the waterblocks so they get the coolest water, (and another one after the GPU to cool the water for the CPU to use)
Stickeelion is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 12:38 PM
Security Sleuth
 
Kainn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickeelion View Post

That would certainly work though it isn't optimal Tanton,

the way your doing it your feeding cold water to the reservoir and the pump, the chips need that water. It it would be best to go Reservoir>Pump>240Rad>CPU>360RAD>GPU>Reservoir, Basically the entire system will have a certain amount oh heat it will dissipate and this will stay the same no matter where the parts are. howver the temperature at different parts of the loop will be different, so the pump will put heat in the water, then the GPU will ad more and you CPU will be getting pretty sweaty with all that hot water on it.

There's a whole complex thermodynamics theory behind it I won't go into (unless you want me to smile.gif )

So basically what you want is to have the radiators cooling the water just before it gets to the waterblocks so they get the coolest water, (and another one after the GPU to cool the water for the CPU to use)

i don't want to be an ass and just say no, but the loop order only matters to around 1-2c difference, all you want to do is make sure the res is before the pump.
Kainn is offline  
post #5 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 12:48 PM
WaterCooler
 
Liqu1dShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainn View Post

i don't want to be an ass and just say no, but the loop order only matters to around 1-2c difference, all you want to do is make sure the res is before the pump.

Is that true though? when the water comes out the CPU its one temp, then it goes into a GPU it must then take on more temp, then into the other GPU takes on even more than past memory it would take on even more then through the rad for it to cool,

It must make a difference from a normal loop to one that's been designed by a nugget.... "me" for example

-=]░▒▓███ OCN Water Cooling Club ███▓▒░[=-
-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-
Liqu1dShadow is offline  
post #6 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 12:54 PM
Security Sleuth
 
Kainn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 618
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqu1dShadow View Post

Is that true though? when the water comes out the CPU its one temp, then it goes into a GPU it must then take on more temp, then into the other GPU takes on even more than past memory it would take on even more then through the rad for it to cool,

It must make a difference from a normal loop to one that's been designed by a nugget.... "me" for example
No, one of the biggest things i've learned from liquid cooling is the temperature difference is going to be minimal, the liquid temp is going to equal out throughout the entire loop, making the loop order unimportant as long as the res gravity feeds into the pump.
Kainn is offline  
post #7 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 12:58 PM
Amiga 500
 
Greenback's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Kent UK
Posts: 2,197
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liqu1dShadow View Post

Is that true though? when the water comes out the CPU its one temp, then it goes into a GPU it must then take on more temp, then into the other GPU takes on even more than past memory it would take on even more then through the rad for it to cool,

It must make a difference from a normal loop to one that's been designed by a nugget.... "me" for example


It's true it makes hardly any difference, better to have less tubing and tidy
Greenback is offline  
post #8 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
tanton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 105
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
thank you very much. How about this. res > pump > 240rad > gpu > 360 rad > cpu > res



edit: I just saw the other comments. I think it looks cleaner like this.

tanton is offline  
post #9 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 04:12 PM
Linux Lobbyist
 
PepeLapiu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,860
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainn View Post

No, one of the biggest things i've learned from liquid cooling is the temperature difference is going to be minimal, the liquid temp is going to equal out throughout the entire loop, making the loop order unimportant as long as the res gravity feeds into the pump.

^^^^this^^^^
Your loop order doesn't matter at all. Pump after res and pump below res is all you need. The rest won't matter at all. Go for the look that gives you the most satisfaction.

Cheers cheers.gif

.
No trees were harmed in the sending of this message.
However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

PepeLapiu is offline  
post #10 of 117 Old 03-09-2013, 04:13 PM
WaterCooler
 
Liqu1dShadow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: UK
Posts: 483
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
What would be the temp drop of that setup? Comp to just running a single 360,

Would I see a noticeable difference from a CPU only loop with a 480 or 360 over a 240mm rad?

-=]░▒▓███ OCN Water Cooling Club ███▓▒░[=-
-=]░▒▓███ [Official] NVIDIA GTX 780 Owner's Club ███▓▒░[=-
Liqu1dShadow is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off