[SprayingVomit's Build Log] // $250 Chinese CPU/GPU Watercooling Loop - Page 12 - Overclock.net

View Poll Results: What will the end result be?
Loop works, temps are good. 75 46.58%
Loop works, temps are bad. 34 21.12%
Loop fails, leaky parts. 42 26.09%
Loop fails, parts arrive broken. 10 6.21%
Voters: 161. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

post #111 of 183 Old 03-14-2013, 04:38 PM
Intel Overclocker

Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina. Land of the obscenely expensive hardware
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Subcutaneous View Post

He posted the temps already - but they didn't seem very good for the clock speed he was running. Maybe he was in a very warm room - he has yet to comment on the details.

He's using an ivy bridge chip...without delidding them you can't directly compare the temps between any of them cause of the irregular tim and glue patterns.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #112 of 183 Old 03-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Liked: 39
I've only dealt with three separate ivy bridge chips myself (all of which were 3570k models) but they all had pretty low temperatures with after market cooling close to stock speeds.

What you've said IMO could be applied to any CPU model - it's not the first one ever to use TIM under the heat spreader......

I just want to see how it performs at the typical 4.5/4.6 GHZ overclock most people can attain with aftermarket cooling.

post #113 of 183 Old 03-14-2013, 07:23 PM

Liked: 74
Id like to know ambient temperature and voltage as well.

SprayingVomit, whats the ac/heat set to in your home?

What does cpu-z say full voltage is at load?

As far as quality of parts goes, sometimes companies that cater to enthusiasts will find products allready in production fo cheap for other porpouses and market them to the enthusiast crowd at a hefty mark up.Happens all the time in the car world.

I can see the fittings being thissince theyd be usefull to anyone having to run tubing for any number of reasons.

OH and the radiator, thats rust and it will eat through that cheap metal in notime. Clean it off with a small wire brush or dremel brush then paint it with some black radiator paint. Thats easily had on ebay for a couple of dollars.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #114 of 183 Old 03-14-2013, 07:46 PM
Intel Overclocker

Quote:

I've only dealt with three separate ivy bridge chips myself (all of which were 3570k models) but they all had pretty low temperatures with after market cooling close to stock speeds.

What you've said IMO could be applied to any CPU model - it's not the first one ever to use TIM under the heat spreader......

I just want to see how it performs at the typical 4.5/4.6 GHZ overclock most people can attain with aftermarket cooling.

Maybe it's applying auto vcore to the oc...or an auto oc function, let the OP chime in.
post #115 of 183 Old 03-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Networking Nut

Location: Waiting for Monster Hunter to come to PC/PS4/XB1 in EU/NA
Liked: 41
Well, at this point you might as well do a CPU only loop and just slap an antec 620 on it tongue.gif

someone had to say it thumb.gif haha

Other fun stuff:Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)
'89 Volvo 240 - 6.0L LQ4, T56; Z06 Cam, Ported Heads, LS1 Intake, PTE6xxx, Etc etc - This ain't yer grandpappies' Volvo... - Sold. Shell Lives on with a friend's project...
'93 Volvo 940 SW - "Boost Wagon" , More Slow for the Go - Got TintZx, no radio (because racecar/weight reduction/laziness) and a bunch of BEWST - Now with µSquirt and Boost by gear with my "self-built" WC T5
'95[96] BMW M3 Coupe - Avus Blue "Baby ///Mama" - Too many mods to list - 599.9999 HP - Sold 3/20/2015... If you Love it, Let it go... She's in good hands.
'10 Nissan GTR-35 BLACK. . . - Mine's Internals, Twin 62's, Alcohol + 93 Pump, Trans built by Jack's Transmissions - It's Slow. - Sold 11/2014. Fun while it lasted.

'05 Kawasaki ZX-10R "Rice Rocket V2" - Claimed by Drunk Driver 9/03/2013 mad.gif
'08 Honda CBR 600 RR - [Main]Track(Circuit) Bike - Retired/Parted Out....
post #116 of 183 Old 03-15-2013, 09:26 AM

Liked: 3
Quote:

He posted the temps already - but they didn't seem very good for the clock speed he was running. Maybe he was in a very warm room - he has yet to comment on the details.

i saw them, but i want to confirm if the items are good (not only good looking) if they work as they should

post #117 of 183 Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 6
Hey guys, so here's an update with what's been going on.
I actually emailed the chinese seller for a week or so before buying.
I told him I would be purchasing this card
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=73627&vpn=HD7870-DC2-2GD5-V2&manufacture=ASUS

And that card's PCB looks like this.
http://www.coolingconfigurator.com/step1_complist?gpu_gpus=854

So he did infact send me the right waterblock. I was just an idiot for not correcting myself.
I decided that since it's my fault, I will not pursue to return the product and get a refund.

As with the XFX 7870 PCB problem. I received a newer revision of the card.
XFX did not change the part number or anything when they had their new PCB revision, making it impossible to differentiate which one is which.
I'll be selling the card locally for $180 or something, and buy something else.

As for the temperature questions.
My house is set at 24deg, at 100% load, the core voltage is .992V
Ambient at 33deg (around 10% cpu usage).

My temps have fallen down to 15deg according to RealTemp. (Core 1/4)
I have 3 math tests this week so I did not overclock yet, I'll try to overclock next weekend since I'm interested in temps myself.

Also, I believe that I might've screwed up the thermal paste application because I accidentally slid the block while it was on the cpu. Will reapply next weekend along with the overclock.

Meanwhile here is a quick pic of the build right now. I still need to do a lil cable management.

First time WC'er. Let me know if you guys have any tips for improvement that I can do for next weekend.
I initially was going to put a 140mm Corsair AF140 at the back. But the tubes were in the way and didn't work out. Also, that fan is loud as crap, for a "silent" fan. I'm really happy with my Gelid Silent 12s. They can push pretty nicely for the price I paid for them ($6), they're actually silent at 1k rpm.

I mentioned this before, but my TX850W is now the only audible thing in my rig, and it annoys me so much, even though it is barely audible.

Also, an update on the pump.
I placed this under the pump
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Magic-Powerful-Silica-Gel-non-slip-Anti-skid-anti-slip-pad-sticky-mats-car-use-for/701047569.html
I can run my pump at 100% and it is silent.
Turns out the pump wasn't make the noise, it was the vibration. Once I got the vibration under control, it's silent as ****.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinnedone View Post

OH and the radiator, thats rust and it will eat through that cheap metal in notime. Clean it off with a small wire brush or dremel brush then paint it with some black radiator paint. Thats easily had on ebay for a couple of dollars.

Not rust, every place that has the paint chipped off are dinged. The paint comes off easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madvillan View Post

Well, at this point you might as well do a CPU only loop and just slap an antec 620 on it tongue.gif

someone had to say it thumb.gif haha
My general understanding is that now, many prefilled loop's results are comparable to custom loops, and much more cheaper. Custom loops are pretty much for enthusiasts now.
post #118 of 183 Old 03-16-2013, 10:00 PM
Intel Overclocker

That loop is looking solid to me man...might be your tim application, that alone can make or break your temps easily.
Major props for your kamikaze cheep loop, worked like a charm.
Also, you can't really compare your wc temps to air coolers and aio's unless you start adding more heat to dissipate and overclock components.
The beauty of wc is the ability of cooling much bigger heatloads whilst being quieter than other cooling methods. (if you want it to be quiet hehe)
Also, stock results can be deceiving, so until you oc that chip to 4.5-4.7 we won't have really valid data to compare with anything else.
post #119 of 183 Old 03-17-2013, 12:46 AM

Liked: 15
Well, I just couldn't resist that res for $22.50 shipped. I just ordered the res and a couple fittings. It's too bad that they don't offer more fittings. I would love to get some straight extenders or 90 degree extenders.

Intel I5-2500K (@ 4.5GHz), Asrock P67 Extreme4 Gen3, 16GB G.Skill DDR3 1600 F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL @ 8-8-8-20, EVGA GTX 980Ti SC+, Thermaltake Core X71, XSPC Raystorm CPU, EX 120, EX360, EX480, MCP35X
post #120 of 183 Old 03-17-2013, 01:37 AM

Liked: 44
Nice report! I'm tempted to order some of those fittings, definitely getting that res. About that pump, can you get some measurements about its flow/sound? I'm not sure if their ratings can be trusted.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page