Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 05:56 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 178
Quote:
Originally Posted by colonelace View Post

As soon as I read short I turned off my pc lol because if I've learned anything in my computer engineering courses is a short is no good lol. I placed all thermal pads the way the paper showed, I used mx-4 thermal paste for the gpu. I did tighten all screws as tight as I can with my weaker hand to not break the board. The block is smaller then the plastic factory fan it had. Temps according to cpuid hwmonitor were 30c all I can say which might be my eyes not noticing ever til now that I have it with a wc block is it looks slightly crooked on the motherboard but it's snapped in place all contacts in. Maybe I did over tighten but I read that the razor wb doesn't make good contact so I thought I screwed it tight enough to make contact. Maybe too much thermal paste? I used a little over pea size in the center to apply it on the gpu
Loosen the screws a little, then tighten the screws as hard as you can with only two fingers on the screwdriver, that seems to be the ideal tighness; I did that on my graphics card and it hasn't developed any problems.

If the problems still persist, reseat the block and see if you can find anything that went wrong.

I have no idea what would be causing the static noise, though.

post #13 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 06:11 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 163
Try this if you can. Uninstall the WB and re-install the HS. Load the puter and see if you still get static. If you don't well you've isolated one of two things. Best case improper installation, worst case bad block. If however you still get static with the HS, either RMA the card (after more testing) or... well something else entirely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 06:23 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 63
Also, take a look at the card's pcb and see if it's warped or not. Overtightening on my 670 with that razor block warped the card a bit so I backed off and retightened in a different order until it was straight. I also had to use different washers on the backplate because it was making contact with some longer leads on the back of the card. I did all this before plugging it in though and so I'm not sure if it helped, I just figured a warped board and component leads touching metal would all be bad. Very bad.
post #15 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
What I did was remove the card from the slot and check the port itself used a air can to blow out any dust inside, I reconnected the power from the gpu all I haven't don't is remove the block itself because if I drain the system I need to go buy some distilled water to refill the loop. When I get home ill loosen the screws a bit to see if that could be the issue. I really hope its the overtighten thing and that's the only thing causing this to happen.
post #16 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM

Liked: 178
Quote:

What I did was remove the card from the slot and check the port itself used a air can to blow out any dust inside, I reconnected the power from the gpu all I haven't don't is remove the block itself because if I drain the system I need to go buy some distilled water to refill the loop. When I get home ill loosen the screws a bit to see if that could be the issue. I really hope its the overtighten thing and that's the only thing causing this to happen.
That's the only thing that I can think of happening, unless the RAM is overheating or something is shorting, but those don't seem very likely.

post #17 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Security Sleuth

Liked: 8
I know it's a longshot but it happened to me.

Is your video cable DVI or HDMI? In my case, it's DVI on the card, to HDMI on the monitor, and with my PC mounted on a metal rack, it's not so simple to just slide it away from the wall to see what I am doing when I plug the cable back in. So I plugged in the cable by reaching around back, doing it by feel, and dang if I didn't have distortion and a vertical line when I turned on my PC! My brand new Samsung LED Smart TV! Crap!. What happened to it? Well, DVI has all those pins... And one was bent down against another on the cable. Removed the card and checked the connector, it was ok, then straightened out the pins (it's a long cable and they aint cheap) cursing myself all the while. Plugged it back in moorree sssslooowwlllyyyyy and all was right with the world. So if you're DVI it's worth a look.

Other than that, what they say; check that the block is making good contact, any water leak (yea may be real slow one that you may not see in a few hours), even tension on screws, seated fully in the slot. I would also try a different slot if possible just to see what happens. Good luck.
post #18 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 07:08 PM

Liked: 1
Quote:

Ok, so as the title says, I recently switched to water cooling and have had nightmares since. My computer was running all nice before setting everything up but I wanted to do some overclocking while keeping a cool silent rig, so I made the choice of switching to liquid cooling. I bought the XSPC D5 Vario RX360 kit and a XSPC Razor HD7970 block. I followed everything to the best of my abilities, now this is where I am having issues. When I turn on my pc and am at the desktop my tv starts to sound static like and lines or screen tearing if you want to say occurs, I set all bios settings to default and the gpu is not oc'ed. Doing that makes it a coin flip of when I turn on my pc to get the screen messing up static sound or not, but as soon as I try any oc'ing of any kind it's like I'm asking to get a seizure. I hope someone can assist me with this as iam now broke because of the whole cooling revamp I did (roughly 750) which was all my money and I can't afford having to buy a new card/CPU/waterblock and really don't want to be without my computer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

You say when you turn on your PC and your at your desktop, your TV does this static noise and lines/screen tearing. With the amount of info given, I'm more inclined to approach this from an electrical static interference point of view.

Is your TV connected to an output of your video card being used as a monitor or is it standalone?
Is your TV on the same power bar and/or circuit breaker as your PC?

I ask because I know that sometimes certain small appliances (blenders, hair dryers, etc..) can sometimes introduce static interference in the power circuit and create a problem as your describing on a TV and this is my thought on why that may be happening. Perhaps the pump is creating static interference which is then fed into your power circuit/power bar to your TV? One test you could do is unplugging the pump, powering up your system (don't keep on for too long obviously) and check to see if the problem persists. Or change the computer on a different circuit breaker and/or power bar and retest.

Maybe I'm way off but just a thought to consider, good luck! smile.gif
post #19 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 07:12 PM

Liked: 359
my guess is the same as already said, your gpu block is shorting out on the vid card...
pull the block off and make sure you installed all the pads and screws correctly in the correct spots.

post-flame-small.gif_.=5 GHz Overclock Club=._post-flame-small.gif
post #20 of 30 Old 03-15-2013, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 0
The pc and tv are connected to a monster cable power surge protector (some real fancy volt measurer and all the works), the connection is a hdmi from the gpu to the tv. The tv is a mitsubishi wd 610 60 dlp 3d hdtv. Nothing other then the cooling system itself has been altered. My guess is its the gpu block too tight as far as leaks I took paper and passed it along all the compression fittings to check if they even got slightly wet while the water was being pumped through the loop. I'm not home(out having some drinks) to try the things suggested but when I do ill check the screws and the contacts reapply the thermal and reseat the block if I must.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page