Cooling Crossfire 7950's and i7 965 with AIO Cooler - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Hey, I'm brand new to water cooling so I have a few questions for you guys.

Would the swiftech h220 be enough to cool the CPU and 2x GPU's if I buy waterblocks for them? If not, I assume I need another radiator right (which one should I get, 120mm or 240mm?) Or should I get a different AIO cooler like the h100i or if you have anything else to recommend.

i really don't want to have to do a custom setup because I am certain I would screw it up, plus it's out of my realm of knowledge. Hence why I want to use an AIO cooler.

I have no idea if I would need compression fittings with this or tubing, so if anyone could help me out and give me a little direction I'd greatly appreciate it.

My case is a Thermaltake Level 10 GT, with a top 200mm fan, a back 120mm fan, and a front 200mm fan. Would I need to buy more fans to cool the extra radiator or is that sufficient?

Sorry for the noob questions, but I am totally lost so some help would be really useful.

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-22-2013, 07:55 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 10
I was just looking into AIO Water Cooling for GPU's this morning;
http://www.overclock.net/t/1237219/tript-cc-620-920-h50-h70-gpu-brackets-fan-grills-custom-case-badges

As for your question, I think you'd need three separate AIO to individually cool the CPU and the two GPUs. But then again, I'm no expert either. It's just a guess.

post #3 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2O415 View Post

I was just looking into AIO Water Cooling for GPU's this morning;
http://www.overclock.net/t/1237219/tript-cc-620-920-h50-h70-gpu-brackets-fan-grills-custom-case-badges

As for your question, I think you'd need three separate AIO to individually cool the CPU and the two GPUs. But then again, I'm no expert either. It's just a guess.

I do currently have a Corsair h80 cooling my CPU. Could I just use that for the CPU and use the swiftech for the GPU's? Would that be better?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 06:33 PM
Overclocker

Liked: 10
You could do that but as far as I can tell, one cooler per GPU. But I may be mistaken, here's a FAQ from his official site.
Quote:
Q: Will your liquid cooling GPU bracket work on SLI/Crossfire setups?

A: Assuming you buy a unit with the more flexible tubing (Antec or Thermaltake – or an Asetek unit off ebay) they will fit within 2 slots. So unless your motherboard has less than 2 slot per card spacing it should work fine.

But like I said, I'm no pro when it comes to this type of information.

post #5 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 06:35 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 33
Well, you really need 120mm of good thick radiator per component. If you only want to cool them but not overclock that should be fine. Personally I would add another (at least) 120mm of rad space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by G2O415 View Post

You could do that but as far as I can tell, one cooler per GPU. But I may be mistaken, here's a FAQ from his official site.
Quote:
Q: Will your liquid cooling GPU bracket work on SLI/Crossfire setups?

A: Assuming you buy a unit with the more flexible tubing (Antec or Thermaltake – or an Asetek unit off ebay) they will fit within 2 slots. So unless your motherboard has less than 2 slot per card spacing it should work fine.

But like I said, I'm no pro when it comes to this type of information.

The H220 isn't quite the same. It is expandable and can have actual blocks added to it.
Quote:
The H220 differentiates differentiates itself from other AIO's by its ability to support additional liquid cooled components such as graphics cards, chipset, and/or additional radiator(s).

From a practical standpoint, this is possible thanks to:
The presence of a reservoir including a fill-port built into the radiator so that the system can be easily emptied or refilled by the user at will,
Enthusiast grade 5/8” OD black PVC tubing fastened to swivel fittings with an elegant clamping system that users can easily remove and safely re-install.
From a thermal performance standpoint, this is made possible by:
The high thermal capacity of the dual 120mm copper and brass radiator
The powerful high-pressure pump capable of driving sufficient flow to cool multiple devices in the loop.
post #6 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 06:41 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 67
I do know the swiftech is expandable but not sure if it is compatible with gpu waterblocks, hopefully someone who has this will chime in as I was wondering the same thing.

My wife said "It's me or the computer!" I still miss her.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 06:44 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 33
Why wouldn't it be man? Its just 5/8 OD tubing you can add anything you want to it.

Direct from Swiftech:
post #8 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 06:54 PM
Programmer

Liked: 104
Ok I think there is some confusion here. The Swiftech H220 is different from other "AIO" coolers for two major reasons:

1) You can detach the hoses that connect the pump and radiator so that you can add more tubing, radiators and waterblocks along the way.
2) The pump is much stronger and is capable of pushing water through most watercooling loops.

Coolers such as your H80 can't be expanded to accommodate waterblocks since the tubes are permanently affixed between the pump and radiator. There is a technique to cool GPU's with Corsair H60's and H80's but it's pretty ghetto (search "The mod").

A Swiftech H220 is a lot like an XSPC Rasa kit, except that it comes totally assembled and filled to cool just your CPU. Should you wish to cool more than your CPU, you would have to break it open, and essentially turn it into a fully custom loop, which it sounds like you don't want to do.

In your situation, I might suggest finding aftermarket air coolers for your 7950's and sticking with your h80 for the CPU. Otherwise, if you want to go full WC, don't even bother with the H220. Instead, do a WHOLE lot of reading, look at build logs and pictures, think of how you would run your loop and learn what all the components do. Do NOT jump into custom WC without doing research (and some extra cash for when stuff hits the fan[literally and figuratively]).

Best of luck
-Alcal

Edit: I just saw that you have a Thermaltake level 10 GT. I don't actually think that supports a 240mm like the H220 one. I hear in general that your case has very poor watercooling support, so that's something to bear in mind as well.

post #9 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 07:34 PM
Programmer

Liked: 104
This comment belonged in another thread XD my b.

post #10 of 12 Old 04-23-2013, 10:26 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by alcal View Post

Ok I think there is some confusion here. The Swiftech H220 is different from other "AIO" coolers for two major reasons:

1) You can detach the hoses that connect the pump and radiator so that you can add more tubing, radiators and waterblocks along the way.
2) The pump is much stronger and is capable of pushing water through most watercooling loops.

Coolers such as your H80 can't be expanded to accommodate waterblocks since the tubes are permanently affixed between the pump and radiator. There is a technique to cool GPU's with Corsair H60's and H80's but it's pretty ghetto (search "The mod").

A Swiftech H220 is a lot like an XSPC Rasa kit, except that it comes totally assembled and filled to cool just your CPU. Should you wish to cool more than your CPU, you would have to break it open, and essentially turn it into a fully custom loop, which it sounds like you don't want to do.

In your situation, I might suggest finding aftermarket air coolers for your 7950's and sticking with your h80 for the CPU. Otherwise, if you want to go full WC, don't even bother with the H220. Instead, do a WHOLE lot of reading, look at build logs and pictures, think of how you would run your loop and learn what all the components do. Do NOT jump into custom WC without doing research (and some extra cash for when stuff hits the fan[literally and figuratively]).

Best of luck
-Alcal

Edit: I just saw that you have a Thermaltake level 10 GT. I don't actually think that supports a 240mm like the H220 one. I hear in general that your case has very poor watercooling support, so that's something to bear in mind as well.

It actually does support mounting for a 240mm radiator.

Honestly the only reason I'm even thinking of water cooling my GPU's is because the top 7950 is about 15-20c hotter than the bottom one, and it hits pretty high temps when I play Crysis 3 (around 80-90c).

I'll rethink watercooling, thanks for the input.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page