First time watercooling, critique component list! - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 05:57 PM - Thread Starter
 
mattar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I've only recently discovered overclock.net when i began reading about watercooling guides. I must say it's an exceptional site!

Not long ago, I built my first rig and as of late, I've been looking to transition towards watercooling.

I've been doing lots of reading and was hoping to get some feedback on current list of items I intend to purchase.

Current spec:

3570k
Powercolor 7970 (AX7970 3GBD5-2DHV3)
ASRock Z77 EXTREME4

I will also be looking to get the 900D case prior to the implementation of the watercooling system.

Components:

CPU block: EK-Supremacy CPU Water Block - Full Nickel - CSQ
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_971_498_490&products_id=34841

GPU block: Swiftech KOMODO-HD7970 Full Cover VGA Waterblock
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33923

Radiator: EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (480)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_668&products_id=32497

Radiator: EK-CoolStream RAD XTX (240)
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_457_667_668&products_id=32495

Pump: Koolance PMP-500 G1/4 BSP High-flow Pump
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=35715

P mount: EK-DCP Mounting Plate Kit
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_439_770&products_id=27770

Reservoir: EK-RES X3 250 Reservoir
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_318_659&products_id=35998

Tubing: PrimoFlex Advanced LRT 10ft Tubing - 7/16in. ID X 5/8in. OD
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=36345

Fitting (x12): Bitspower Premium G1/4" Black Matte High Flow 7/16" ID (5/8" OD) Compression Fitting
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_346_393_614&products_id=26556

Fitting (x4): Bitspower G 1/4" Matte Black Rotary 90 Degree IG 1/4" Adapter
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=59_346_393_611_629&products_id=27723

Power Distribution (x2): ModMyToys 8-Pin Power Distribution PCB - 8-Way Block
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=32854

Fans (x12): Rosewill RFA-120-BL 120mm 4 Blue LEDs LED Case cooler
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200049


Please forgive me if I've made a mistake as this is completely new to me. I opted to go dual 480's as I plan on going CF. Also I wasn't 100% sure about fittings but everyone seemed to rave about the Bitspower components. Any suggestions of items that i may need or could assist me (such as mounts or something of such nature)...

Any help is appreciated.
mattar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 06:06 PM - Thread Starter
 
mattar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought that once you start adding a 2nd or 3rd gpu that a sole 480 would be insufficient?
mattar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 06:08 PM
 
cruisant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Posts: 157
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
If you're in Canada, go for Dazmode or NCIX. http://www.dazmode.com/store/ thumb.gif Add an Iwaki RD30 and San Ace 38mm fans for that built smile.gif J/K

biggrin.gif
cruisant is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 PM
Amiga 500
 
smex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Q
Posts: 2,956
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattar View Post

Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought that once you start adding a 2nd or 3rd gpu that a sole 480 would be insufficient?

since sandy bridge the cpu´s make much less heat.. ok you got ivy, but your heat problem
( if it will bother your chip) will come due the bad engineering of intel and not due the lack
of radiators.

you can blind take two 360´s. but ok now you said a 3rd gpu and so on. this might be ok then,
especially if you live in hot areas. but it was not that clear to me that you want to add a 3rd gpu.

ah... now i see, canada. then you dont need any cooling at all! haha just kidding.
my guess would be that even for 3gpu´s 2 x 360 will do the job.
do you plan massive overclocking tha video cards?!
smex is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 06:14 PM
Folding Fanatic
 
lowfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 4,975
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 452
I would suggest some sort of heatsinks for the VRMs on the GPU. That mounting plate will not work w/ that pump.
lowfat is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter
 
mattar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by smex View Post

since sandy bridge the cpu´s make much less heat.. ok you got ivy, but your heat problem
( if it will bother your chip) will come due the bad engineering of intel and not due the lack
of radiators.

you can blind take two 360´s. but ok now you said a 3rd gpu and so on. this might be ok then,
especially if you live in hot areas. but it was not that clear to me that you want to add a 3rd gpu.

ah... now i see, canada. then you dont need any cooling at all! haha just kidding.
my guess would be that even for 3gpu´s 2 x 360 will do the job.
do you plan massive overclocking tha video cards?!

No massive overclocking so to speak. But this is why I'm here asking for feedback in the first place smile.gif. Probably will go with 2x 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

I would suggest some sort of heatsinks for the VRMs on the GPU. That mounting plate will not work w/ that pump.

Would it work if I got an EK pump?
mattar is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Overclocker
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Planet Earth (I think)
Posts: 118
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Hey,

I would suggest that you get a full cover block for your graphics card rather than a universal block. Although a universal block can be reused for later graphic cards you would have to get separate heatsinks for the GDDR5 VRAM and for the VRMs. A full cover block will cost a bit more but it will cool the entire card.

fil1p is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 05-15-2013, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
 
mattar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by fil1p View Post

Hey,

I would suggest that you get a full cover block for your graphics card rather than a universal block. Although a universal block can be reused for later graphic cards you would have to get separate heatsinks for the GDDR5 VRAM and for the VRMs. A full cover block will cost a bit more but it will cool the entire card.

How about this?

http://www.performance-pcs.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=33923

Can't find anything else since my card my card is non-ref.

Card # is listed in first post regarding specs.
mattar is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off