post #21 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 02:56 AM
4.0 GHz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMbi2004 View Post

Not having investigated the subject, I seam to remember that they use a specially heavy freshwater for the reactor itself.. and run it through a cooler unit that is cooled by saltwater (or what ever is available at that particular plant) and yea.. that saltwater(or what ever) will be the vapor you see from the cooling towers smile.gif
Not sure, heh.

Funny subject wink.gif

Click on the link from my previous post.

It has a reaction chamber, connected to a heat exchanger that heats a basin of distilled water, which is converted to steam. The steam then drives some rather powerful turbines creating power. Then the cooling chamber cools aforementioned water back down to a liquid temp. Then the cycle repeats.

It always makes me laugh to think a nuclear reactor is just an over-sized steam engine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero 7hree View Post

Any specifics of vinegar, or any will do for cleaning?

Any and all vinegar will work fine. Vinegar is actually 8% acetic acid, 90% water, and 2% organic bi-products of it's fermentation. Distilled vinegar, and all those fancy cooking vinegars just have a lower amount of organic bi-products making it better for such applications where picky eaters need the best of taste.

You may feel popular, but you will never be as legendary as this thread!

Current Projects: Wyvern

~0101101001111001011101000110100001100101
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 05:53 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 206
Well damn I think we found Mr.Spock !!! biggrin.gif

thumb.gif
post #23 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 11:01 AM
733mhz

Liked: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaMbi2004 View Post

Not having investigated the subject, I seam to remember that they use a specially heavy freshwater for the reactor itself.. and run it through a cooler unit that is cooled by saltwater (or what ever is available at that particular plant) and yea.. that saltwater(or what ever) will be the vapor you see from the cooling towers smile.gif
Not sure, heh.

Funny subject wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Click on the link from my previous post.

It has a reaction chamber, connected to a heat exchanger that heats a basin of distilled water, which is converted to steam. The steam then drives some rather powerful turbines creating power. Then the cooling chamber cools aforementioned water back down to a liquid temp. Then the cycle repeats.

It always makes me laugh to think a nuclear reactor is just an over-sized steam engine.
OK just because we're already going full nerd here... biggrin.gif

The diagram seems to show a pressurized water reactor, which acccording to the wikipedia article, is the most common reactor type in the USA. It's at root a three-stage cooling loop and regular "light" water is used for all three stages. If you look closely at the diagram, you can see all three loops. The inner reactor loop is green; the secondary turbine loop is orange and white; and the tertiary cooling loop that gives off steam in the giant cooling towers is blue.

Pure watercooling at its greatest thumb.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by threephi View Post

OK just because we're already going full nerd here... biggrin.gif

The diagram seems to show a pressurized water reactor, which acccording to the wikipedia article, is the most common reactor type in the USA. It's at root a three-stage cooling loop and regular "light" water is used for all three stages. If you look closely at the diagram, you can see all three loops. The inner reactor loop is green; the secondary turbine loop is orange and white; and the tertiary cooling loop that gives off steam in the giant cooling towers is blue.

Pure watercooling at its greatest thumb.gif

^^ thumb.gif

4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #25 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 11:22 AM
733mhz

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZytheEKS View Post

Any and all vinegar will work fine. Vinegar is actually 8% acetic acid, 90% water, and 2% organic bi-products of it's fermentation. Distilled vinegar, and all those fancy cooking vinegars just have a lower amount of organic bi-products making it better for such applications where picky eaters need the best of taste.

Agreed with all that but I personally wouldn't use anything except distilled white vinegar. The extra organics are just potential residue that could stain your components.

Avoid the cooking or salad vinegar in the expensive, tiny glass bottles and head for the laundry soap aisle. The price is around 1/10th for the exact same thing.
post #26 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 06:08 PM
4.0 GHz

Quote:

Agreed with all that but I personally wouldn't use anything except distilled white vinegar. The extra organics are just potential residue that could stain your components.

Avoid the cooking or salad vinegar in the expensive, tiny glass bottles and head for the laundry soap aisle. The price is around 1/10th for the exact same thing.

The extra organic particles wouldn't be able to create residue. Acid will always try to break bonds, and a base (Alkaline) will usually try to deposit material (create bonds) Since acetic acid is indeed an acid the extra particles would not be able to deposit themselves in the loop. Even if they were able too they would immediately start to be burned off. Acetic acid is pretty potent stuff. Any concentration above 80% can burn through human tissue. Pure acetic acid is also highly flammable, and it's flash point is 40celcius. So if you pour some one someones face, then throw a match at them there will be acid burning through their face, as well as fire burning through their face.

Yup... That's what you're using to clean your loop. XD

Anyways, I respect the over caution, but acetic acid is pretty potent stuff.

post #27 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 07:43 PM
733mhz

The generic household vinegar I use is a 5% solution of acetic acid, and I always dilute that further at least three or four to one when I rinse or wipe components with it, and even at that weakness it can still cause damage. I find it astonishing whenever I read here the occasional story about someone running their loop with vinegar. doh.gif

You're probably right about colored vinegar likely not causing any stains but why take that chance? Especially when distilled white vinegar is by far the cheapest.
post #28 of 28 Old 08-21-2013, 08:57 PM
4.0 GHz

Quote:

The generic household vinegar I use is a 5% solution of acetic acid, and I always dilute that further at least three or four to one when I rinse or wipe components with it, and even at that weakness it can still cause damage. I find it astonishing whenever I read here the occasional story about someone running their loop with vinegar. doh.gif

You're probably right about colored vinegar likely not causing any stains but why take that chance? Especially when distilled white vinegar is by far the cheapest.

Interestingly enough vinegar is no more corrosive than water in most situations.

Every "horror story" I've seen about vinegar was either due to leaving it in a loop for prolonged periods of time, or people having mixed metals in their loop, more specifically nickle plating.

So in theory it should be safe to use. It's also possible to dip your hand in water, then tip it in molten lead, and the water will vaporize and expand creating a insulating ever expanding layer of steam on your hand keeping your hand safe from any burns for a time.

The moral of the story? Just because the science is there doesn't mean you shouldn't exercise caution. biggrin.gif

Edit: HA, I'VE SPENT HOURS LOOKING FOR THAT DAMN CHART, AND I FINALLY FOUND THE LITTLE BASTARD!!!
(Note: Not all hours were from today!)

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/metal-corrosion-resistance-d_491.html

There ya go!

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page