Fan choice for XPSC AX240 Rad - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1
I am looking at fans for this rad (XPSC AX240 - White). I am pretty set on this rad, mostly due to the color. I am also interested in the NB eLoops as well, also due to their color. However, I would like to get some thoughts from people here on the boards. I was also wondering what fan speed I should get if the fans will be connected to the motherboard (therefore running at full speed) rather than a fan controller.

I am looking at the 800 RPM model and love how silent it really is. But I am open to changing this which is mainly why I am posting here. My set up will have 2 of these rads cooling cpu and gpu (290x).

EDIT: Adding a link for reference. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16916/fan-1046/Noiseblocker_NB-eLoop_B12-1_120mm_x_25mm_Ultra_Silent_Bionic_Blade_Fan_-_800_RPM_-_below_8_dBA_.html#blank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 09:41 AM
Audiophile

Location: The Land of Cheese and Snow (and sometimes happiness)
Liked: 244
Probably Gentle Typhoon if you can live with the color. It's low noise too.

post #3 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 09:57 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGameInverted View Post

I am looking at fans for this rad (XPSC AX240 - White). I am pretty set on this rad, mostly due to the color. I am also interested in the NB eLoops as well, also due to their color. However, I would like to get some thoughts from people here on the boards. I was also wondering what fan speed I should get if the fans will be connected to the motherboard (therefore running at full speed) rather than a fan controller.

I am looking at the 800 RPM model and love how silent it really is. But I am open to changing this which is mainly why I am posting here. My set up will have 2 of these rads cooling cpu and gpu (290x).

EDIT: Adding a link for reference. http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16916/fan-1046/Noiseblocker_NB-eLoop_B12-1_120mm_x_25mm_Ultra_Silent_Bionic_Blade_Fan_-_800_RPM_-_below_8_dBA_.html#blank

I am using the AX480's, and a single 1850 gentle typhoon is enough to overcome that core. However, the 1850 Gnetle Typhoon has a 0.081 inH2O rating, while the fan you linked has a 0.023 inH2O rating

Spec sheet for 1850 gentle typhoon

what that means is that 1 1850 gentle typhoon will overcome 4 times the static pressure as the fan you linked. If you put those fans in a push/pull type configuration on both sides of the radiator, you may get enough airflow. But a single fan by itself would not be sufficient.

remember, with radiator fans, its not so much about the CFM rating as it is the static head rating. Pushing a ton of air doesnt meant anything if the fan cant physically push that volume of air across the radiator core sufficiently.

Hope that helps :-)

edit: if color is an issue, taking apart and painting the gentle typhoons is quite easy. my current build log has a step by step guide on how to do it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 10:49 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlite View Post

I am using the AX480's, and a single 1850 gentle typhoon is enough to overcome that core. However, the 1850 Gnetle Typhoon has a 0.081 inH2O rating, while the fan you linked has a 0.023 inH2O rating

Spec sheet for 1850 gentle typhoon

what that means is that 1 1850 gentle typhoon will overcome 4 times the static pressure as the fan you linked. If you put those fans in a push/pull type configuration on both sides of the radiator, you may get enough airflow. But a single fan by itself would not be sufficient.

remember, with radiator fans, its not so much about the CFM rating as it is the static head rating. Pushing a ton of air doesnt meant anything if the fan cant physically push that volume of air across the radiator core sufficiently.

Hope that helps :-)

edit: if color is an issue, taking apart and painting the gentle typhoons is quite easy. my current build log has a step by step guide on how to do it.

Thanks that did help a bit. So if I were to go with this

then http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16918/fan-1048/Noiseblocker_NB-eLoop_B12-3_120mmx25mm_Ultra_Silent_Bionic_Blade_Fan_-_1900_RPM_-_265_dBA_.html

It would be better than the 800 RPM fan. It really intrigued me that the 800 RPM is an 8db noise level fan as remaining quiet is a big goal for my build. My build will also be running the fans that I do have at 100%.
post #5 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 10:58 AM
WaterCooler

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGameInverted View Post

Thanks that did help a bit. So if I were to go with this

then http://www.frozencpu.com/products/16918/fan-1048/Noiseblocker_NB-eLoop_B12-3_120mmx25mm_Ultra_Silent_Bionic_Blade_Fan_-_1900_RPM_-_265_dBA_.html

It would be better than the 800 RPM fan. It really intrigued me that the 800 RPM is an 8db noise level fan as remaining quiet is a big goal for my build. My build will also be running the fans that I do have at 100%.

that fan is pretty similar to the gentle typhoons in static pressure and noise. Those should sufficiently push across the rads. Once you get them installed, you can always throttle the fans down to reduce noise with a fan controller.
post #6 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 11:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperlite View Post

that fan is pretty similar to the gentle typhoons in static pressure and noise. Those should sufficiently push across the rads. Once you get them installed, you can always throttle the fans down to reduce noise with a fan controller.

Thanks, and that is my concern. I mostly likely won't have a fan controller in the case. I will have one available bay and if it is possible I will probably fit an optical drive in it as a lot of my old games are on discs. So I may go with something in the middle to have a little less noise because I know for sure that the fan will be running at 100%.
post #7 of 7 Old 11-25-2013, 07:17 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 52
Yes, due to the high FPI, you're going to need a high RPM, high static pressure fan to get the best performance out of an AX240.

However, at least according to this review, it does comparably with its bigger brother the RX at most fan speeds. You could also try push-pull with two lower-rpm fans, if you have enough space, to reduce noise.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page