[ Build Log ] Mini Red - CaseLabs Mercury S3, ASUS Maximus VI Impact, AMD R9 290X - Page 14 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #131 of 163 Old 04-04-2014, 10:45 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Finally received the replacement PSU!!!
I sent them just the power supply unit and they seemed to have sent me an entirely new package.
But something was odd.

At first I thought it might just be the packaging.

But nope they sent me a 750W PSU to replace my 550W

I think they might've run out of 550W to be honest haha.
I think it still holds the same dimension and cable placement as the 550W in which case it's no problem for me. I planned to upgrade to the 295x2 as well and was worried about having to switch out PSU then but now I won't have to biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #132 of 163 Old 04-04-2014, 10:47 AM

Liked: 135
Dude! That's awesome! If it's the same model just higher wattage, I don't see why the cables shouldn't work.
post #133 of 163 Old 04-04-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Testing every electrical component so that I don't short out everything again haha.
The wire from the fan controller to the LED chain didn't fry everything this time!

Turns out that I got a bad LED strip too ugh...
No time to repair I just electrical taped the first 3 LEDS on both LED strips

Such a mess

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #134 of 163 Old 04-04-2014, 09:45 PM
I smell boogers

Liked: 335
Nice to see the free upgrade from XFX. That's great customer service thumb.gif

I have a question concerning the delidding of the cpu. What is the expected temperature decrease? Seems like a risky procedure... does the heatspreader go back on easily? does it just snap back into place with some pressure or do you have to epoxy it back on or something?

Glad you got your rma's back! Is there anything else your waiting for coming still?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacophony go_quote.gif
this is how ppl eat and pay for thongs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lutro0 go_quote.gif
SoOoO I went into the closet and became.... A CLOSET DREMELER... I kinda felt weird in a mad scientist way, but it worked lol

Mod Of The Month June 2012 

post #135 of 163 Old 04-04-2014, 10:32 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob808 View Post

I have a question concerning the delidding of the cpu. What is the expected temperature decrease? Seems like a risky procedure... does the heatspreader go back on easily? does it just snap back into place with some pressure or do you have to epoxy it back on or something?

Glad you got your rma's back! Is there anything else your waiting for coming still?

You put thermal paste on it then just set the heat spreader on top. The CPU cooler is then used to hold it in place. You have to be somewhat careful when putting your cooler on that you don't move it around too much.
post #136 of 163 Old 04-05-2014, 09:47 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob808 View Post

So as it stands now the build is DONE!
I have everything assembled and the loop filled and it is up and running.
I will have more updates with pictures soon but right now it's exam time and I don't have too much spare time.

As for delidding, it is somewhat considered risky but it's not at all...
I used the vice method this time and it was much easier. Took literally 15 secs all together.
After delidding you switch out the crappy intel thermal paste with something better. I used liquid pro in this case.
After that you don't have to reglue the heatspreader again. The retension arms on the CPU socket will hold it in place just be careful cause the heatspreader likes to move around a lot when you go to tighten the arm down.

I am unsure of exactly how much temp drop I managed with the delid as I didn't have the luxury of setting up the system without delid just to see the temps.
I delidded the CPU as soon as I got it and it has been running like that since.

Just to give you an idea though this is my computer temps at idle.
I haven't seen the CPU temp go past 31 on idle yet and the GPU sits around 33 degrees (The GPU thermal paste was switched out with liquid pro as well)
under full load (prime95) CPU temps were just under 60 degrees.
I am very satisfied with these temps and I am very sure that the delid has definately had an impact on bringing down that CPU temp

post #137 of 163 Old 04-05-2014, 09:17 PM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

Just a small teaser for you guys tongue.gif
Will have some proper photos when I borrow my friend's camera for a day

post #138 of 163 Old 04-06-2014, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter
WaterCooler

The final assembly went without much problems
Cleaned all the dust that had built up in the case for 4 months just sitting around.

The 750W version has the pinouts in the exact same place as the 550W worked out!

Everything in place just before filling the loop. Cable ties were used then to keep the cables in place to train them a bit more.

125mL of Mayhem's red dye with 1L of distilled water. The rig took just about the whole litre to fill up.

I got too excited to take more pictures while I was filling the loop but that's it!

Some final thoughts on this build.
The cabling was tight. The spacing between the front rad with all tubes coming out with massive amounts of cables and even the res and pump config the spacing was just enough. It took a bit of force when I was putting the front panel assembly in place and just had to shove all the wires in with force and screw the case back together. In the end everything worked out. cabling looks neat for the most part as well.

Also, in the end I don't know how much actually went into this build but it was much more than I had hoped for and was anticipating. It was even more frustrating with having to replace parts. Now that I look back at it. My wiring wasn't wrong and the fan controller now works fine with how it was before. I think the fan controller might've been the issue in the first place. PSU, CPU, mobo all tested to work before I tested the fan controller with the LEDs. I think that's when the fan controller took something out in the PSU which in turn took out other components when I went to test them later even though the PSU tester said it was still fine. I am thankful that all companies took up my RMA requests, if they didn't I would've had to dish out so much more money to ge this build. The shipping back and forth and customs involved added up a fair amount as well but I'm just happy this is finally done.

I used white LEDs to light up the interior but it's making the coolant in the tubes look orange more than red so I think that might be the one change I make before calling this 100% done. I also figured out the hard way that although every fan header on the impact is 4-pin they are not all PWM controllable, only the CPU header is. I had to make another cable to route the PWM on the pump to the CPU header to control the pump because the fan controller doesn't support PWM as well.

Been taking all the pictures on this log with my phone and I want the final ones to be with a decent camera so I will have more photos later!

Just one more teaser wink.gif

post #139 of 163 Old 04-06-2014, 12:03 PM
We Are Mad!

Liked: 906
Nice build thumb.gif

There's been a few cases of Seasonic psu's melting or killing things. Since xfx does use the same oem as Seasonic, there have been reports of xfx too. My psu's are also from the same oem so I have to be careful. Something about the wires from their suppliers not up to snuff and causing damage, fire, melting.

Well, its awesome you got the parts all returned thumb.gif

Last edited by motorman45; 10-02-2015 at 06:11 PM.
post #140 of 163 Old 04-17-2014, 11:34 AM

Liked: 52

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page