Delidded CPU: die in direct contact with waterblock vs using IHS - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Hi all,

First off, apologies if this post fits better in any other forum section, moderators please move it if you consider it appropriate.

Right now my 4770k is delidded, im using the EK kit to mount it in direct contact with the cpu die. Ill probably change my motherboard in a few weeks, and I wonder if it would be better to use the IHS with some liquid pro thermal paste on top of the die.

Ive read that using the IHS may benefit temps as it provides more contact surface for the die to spread the heat so its better disipated by the waterblock. On the other hand, if die goes in direct contact with the waterblock, wont it transfer the heat better to the wblock as there is direct contact?

What should I do? Thanks a lot for your help!

Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Black
Corsair HX850i + white sleeving kit
Asus Maximus X Hero
i7 8700k@4,7Ghz + Noctua NH-D15S (w. Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM)
2 x 16GB G-Skill Trident-Z RGB 3600Mhz
Asus Strix 1080Ti
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
2 x WD Caviar Green 4TB
Fiio E10K + Hifiman HE-400i
Asus PG279Q
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 01-14-2015, 02:43 PM

Liked: 41
Hi!

A would keep it as it is now, delidded.
Here's a graph of my test:

Use liquid pro on your die and you'll get best thermals.
post #3 of 5 Old 01-14-2015, 02:50 PM
PC Gamer

Liked: 247
Unless you are benching and absolutely need an additional 3 - 4'c temp probably not worth it to run direct to die given the risks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 01-14-2015, 04:28 PM
WaterCooler

Liked: 346
Like others said, you do get better temps with direct die, but only 3-4C better at 1.3v, and I agree with Apariton, not worth the hassle for 3-4C.

As for surface area question....If you have a soldered IHS with 87 w/mk intel indium solder and mx2 (5 w/mk) paste between ihs to waterblock, and you delid the soldered IHS, and then use only mx2 paste between die and waterblock, then surface area plays a role, and you get worse temps. Because the heat spread from small hot spots on die to large IHS size (spreading hot spots out as well) at 87 w/mk speed, before coming into roadblock at 5 w/mk prior to delidding, and after delidding the situation is worse by replacing tim1 with paste 5 w/mk when surface area to transfer heat was so small. So when comparing different thermal interface materials for tim1, you have to account for surface area.

However if you have liquid metal between die and ihs. And then you remove the ihs and use the same liquid metal between die and waterblock, clearly removing the ihs will give better temps, because the same thermal interface material was used, so surface area is effectively cancelled from the equation.

post #5 of 5 Old 01-14-2015, 11:31 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 3
Thanks all of you for the replies. Right now I have MX4 between die and waterblock. I guess that the best choice might be to have liquid pro between die and IHS and another good thermal paste between IHS and waterblock.

Be Quiet Dark Base Pro 900 Black
Corsair HX850i + white sleeving kit
Asus Maximus X Hero
i7 8700k@4,7Ghz + Noctua NH-D15S (w. Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM)
2 x 16GB G-Skill Trident-Z RGB 3600Mhz
Asus Strix 1080Ti
500GB Samsung 850 EVO SSD
2 x WD Caviar Green 4TB
Fiio E10K + Hifiman HE-400i
Asus PG279Q

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page