Stacking a rotary and non rotary fitting - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 11-01-2015, 12:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I have extremely limited space between the pump and the side of my case so would it be viable to have low profile non rotary angle fittings directly attached to the pump and stack rotary fittings directly on to those to counter the anticlockwise twist to the hose?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 11-03-2015, 01:10 PM
New to Overclock.net

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Where are you going to get "non-rotary" angle fittings? If you find them, how are you going to be sure the angle will be where you want it once you get the threads tightened?

Wouldn't something like this work for you?
http://www.performance-pcs.com/bitspower-g1-4-royal-blue-dual-rotary-90-degree-ig1-4-extender.html

If you're going to dump on someone's ideas, at least have some good ones of your own.
post #3 of 13 Old 11-03-2015, 03:10 PM

Liked: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardonthejob View Post

Where are you going to get "non-rotary" angle fittings? If you find them, how are you going to be sure the angle will be where you want it once you get the threads tightened?

They are actually quite common....here is just one example:http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19380&cPath=1321

In many cases you can rotate them to a certain tightness and maintain the desired angle...

As these are low profile you can gain extra clearance and can be handy in very tight areas where a taller fitting just won't fit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 11-03-2015, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

i don't know, i ordered these http://www.watercoolinguk.co.uk/p/Bitspower-angle-14-inch-to-Female-14-inch-Deluxe-White_36950.html because they were the shortest i could find. im all for having proper rotary angles but they look so tall and i can't find any pages that list the full dimensions of the various fittings, the only dimension i ever seem to find is the height and size of the thread. normal rotary angle fittings always look so tall to me but if i could be sure they'd fit i'd buy them instead...
post #5 of 13 Old 11-03-2015, 04:01 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costas View Post

They are actually quite common....here is just one example:http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=19380&cPath=1321

In many cases you can rotate them to a certain tightness and maintain the desired angle...

As these are low profile you can gain extra clearance and can be handy in very tight areas where a taller fitting just won't fit.
ah just noticed your post, yeah i think those are the same as the ones i bought, it's good to know they might work after all...
post #6 of 13 Old 11-03-2015, 04:14 PM

Liked: 143
You can normally achieve around 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn extra just after the fitting actually seals on whatever its screwed into. Normally you don't need to tighten a fitting too far for it to seal correctly. However if you need the fitting to line up correctly then you can tighten it further to achieve an extra 1/2 turn or so.

You can see in my rig below how I have used non rotary fittings to assemble a T section for my reservoirs. While I used different angle fittings as you have purchased, the principal is the same.

LvCp5G.jpg
post #7 of 13 Old 11-03-2015, 04:51 PM - Thread Starter

That is far prettier than anything I'll manage (with the age old method of screaming incoherently and hitting stuff til it fits) but it's good to see it's doable smile.gif
post #8 of 13 Old 11-03-2015, 10:53 PM

Liked: 552
Non rotary fittings do allow some adjustment and it can be increased by using two orings

post #9 of 13 Old 11-04-2015, 12:01 AM - Thread Starter

So stacking O rings? Wouldn't that increase the likelihood of it leaking?
post #10 of 13 Old 11-04-2015, 12:27 AM

Liked: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toasty Raymaker View Post

So stacking O rings? Wouldn't that increase the likelihood of it leaking?

It can, yes. It just requires careful setup. I have used the technique lots without issue. I always test with air pressure too.

Edit: well. I dunno about likelihood as in will it deteriorate over time, I just mean likelihood as in it is more fiddly to set up properly than a rotary fitting.

I wouldn't use it, and especially wouldn't recommend it, if I thought it wasn't safe.

Also, another useful method is changing oring thickness. By using these, or a combination of these methods it's not hard to get a full 360 degrees of air tight adjustability.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page