AIOs Why they should only be considered a short term product. - Page 19 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 10:30 AM
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post

The air coolers that compete with CLC's are almost at the same price as the CLC's. Not to mention they are ugly giant behemoth's hanging from your CPU. If you want the best performance you need to buy the versions with 2 or 3 fans. The most famous of these coolers is the Noctua NH-D15. The single fan version is $85 right now while the 2 fan version is $90. Most 240 mm CLC's are at that same price point with the 280 mm radiator versions being slightly higher ($100-$150 depending on the brand. Corsair's flagship 280mm cooler is at about $110 right now).
Sure, the Noctua air cooler is expensive, but it's not the only one on the market with that kind of performance. The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is currently available for $65 (after $10 rebate) in 3 colors, & $60 (after $10 rebate) in blue. That's down to the price of 120mm CLCs, which are nowhere near the performance level of the big air coolers. Yes, you do still need to make sure your case will fit it & that you have low profile RAM RAM with either no or short heat spreaders, but it cools almost as well as the larger CLCs while being much quieter, & being between 2/3 & 1/2 the price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 10:52 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by PR-Imagery View Post

Prove that. If they're were so unreliable, people wouldn't buy them. Unless of course they offered good enough value for the money that it's a worthwhile purchase.

Happy customers are silent customers.
"Ignorance is bliss." is the key. It really is that simple. As long as the customer does not know that the product is sub-stand and they use enough candy coating on it you buy it because you don't know any better. Those of us who have experience using big air cooler in cases with good airflow setups and quality water cooling components do not buy CLCs. tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewbell View Post

Sure, the Noctua air cooler is expensive, but it's not the only one on the market with that kind of performance. The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is currently available for $65 (after $10 rebate) in 3 colors, & $60 (after $10 rebate) in blue. That's down to the price of 120mm CLCs, which are nowhere near the performance level of the big air coolers. Yes, you do still need to make sure your case will fit it & that you have low profile RAM, but it cools almost as well as the larger CLCs while being much quieter, & being between 2/3 & 1/2 the price.
The Scythe Fuma is in the same group and is only $55.00. Yes, to fitting, no super tall RAM and case airflow needs to be setup. But still ..

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #183 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 10:55 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 400
Well this thread is not answering my questions imposed early on, kind of a waste of time to be subbed to it anymore.

In the mean time ill stick with my seidon 120v

Biased rPGA and MXM 3.0A/B Elitest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #184 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 11:03 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 1629
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheReciever View Post

Well this thread is not answering my questions imposed early on, kind of a waste of time to be subbed to it anymore.

In the mean time ill stick with my seidon 120v
You asked about hybrid and laughed. biggrin.gif
Yes sir, we have no hybrids, we have no hybrids todate. biggrin.gif

Doubt we ever will. tongue.gif

post-flame-small.gifPhanteks Owners Club post-flame-small.gifpost-flame-small.gifWays to Better Cooling post-flame-small.gif
post-flame-small.gif1. Controling PWM Case Fans post-flame-small.gif2. Optimizing Case Cooling post-flame-small.gif3. Cooler Size Comparison & Cooling Comparison
post-flame-small.gif
=i7 980 @ 3.55GHz =PH-TC14PE w/2x TY-143 fans =Crucial Ballistix 3x4GB =GA-X58A-UD5 =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =Enermax Modu84+ =Define R2 w/3x TY-140 case intake fans; all PWM controlled by CPU fan socket
Phanteks Enthoo Primo MoBo Rampage III Extreme CPU i7 980xCooler R1 Ultimate w/ TY-147A fans RAM Dominator GT 6x2GB GPU ENGTX580 DCUII PSU Corsair TX850 Case [/COLOR]Phanteks Enthoo PrimoBase custom caster base
=i7 980X @ 4.0GHz =R1 Ultimate w/2x TY-143 fans =Dominator GT 6x2GB =Rampage III Extreme =ASUS GTX580 DirectCU II =TX850 =Enthoo Primo w/ custom castor base
post #185 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 11:12 AM
Chainsaw noise in the distance

Liked: 376
Degredation?I have an original corsair h50 still going strong.We are talking like 5 years or something.

: : Core i5 750 Club : :

wink.gifCore I5 7xx Clubwink.gif
post #186 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 11:18 AM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by djsi38t View Post

Degredation?I have an original corsair h50 still going strong.We are talking like 5 years or something.

Same, I'm starting to see a pattern here, 7 years on my H50 without a single issues, still cooling like the first day.

Maybe it's some other models with less than ideal pumps that just die out, because this H50 is still going strong.
post #187 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 AM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by doyll View Post

"Ignorance is bliss." is the key.

Now, now...."ignorance" is a harsh word. "Fact intolerant" sounds much more PC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlewbell View Post

Sure, the Noctua air cooler is expensive, but it's not the only one on the market with that kind of performance. The Phanteks PH-TC14PE is currently available for $65 (after $10 rebate) in 3 colors, & $60 (after $10 rebate) in blue. That's down to the price of 120mm CLCs, which are nowhere near the performance level of the big air coolers. Yes, you do still need to make sure your case will fit it & that you have low profile RAM, but it cools almost as well as the larger CLCs while being much quieter, & being between 2/3 & 1/2 the price.

Neither of these coolers requires low profile RAM. Standard height RAM fits with no issues. It's the RAM with the non-functional decorative heatsinks that are the issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dargonplay View Post

Same, I'm starting to see a pattern here, 7 years on my H50 without a single issues, still cooling like the first day.

Maybe it's some other models with less than ideal pumps that just die out, because this H50 is still going strong.

There undoubtedly several patterns going on here, but you are only seeing the one that you want to see. While the old H50 pump was a sturdier pump than what Asetek is making now, this thread was really intended to be about the affects of coolant breakdown. And I would have to say "going strong" would be used rather loosely with the temps you quoted, I hate to say it, but I have gotten significantly better results with a number of sub-$50 low profile coolers on the 4790K at 4.7/1.28V during evaluations.
post #188 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 12:11 PM
Hardline upgrade!

Liked: 695
Quote:

Been using a Corsair H50 for 7 years, I have re-used it 3 times now and its currently working on my Mini ITX build on my 4790K, temps are more than fine with a 4.6GHz overclock at 1.255 Core, never going above 70c while gaming and 88c on 8 hours of Prime95.

7 Years!

Get back to me when you've had it for 10 years.

iirc Warranty period was 5 years. I expect there to be a year or two overlap in coverage on everything with a reasonably long warranty period. 7 years is good, but I'll be more impressed with 10 years. thumb.gif

My old h50 which I sold is just now approaching the EoL of it's warranty. I think it's got ~1yr left. biggrin.gif

~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

10 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  Foldathon Participant 2015  Foldathon Participant 2016 

post #189 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 12:59 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 159
Quote:
Originally Posted by ciarlatano View Post

Now, now...."ignorance" is a harsh word. "Fact intolerant" sounds much more PC.
Neither of these coolers requires low profile RAM. Standard height RAM fits with no issues. It's the RAM with the non-functional decorative heatsinks that are the issue.
There undoubtedly several patterns going on here, but you are only seeing the one that you want to see. While the old H50 pump was a sturdier pump than what Asetek is making now, this thread was really intended to be about the affects of coolant breakdown. And I would have to say "going strong" would be used rather loosely with the temps you quoted, I hate to say it, but I have gotten significantly better results with a number of sub-$50 low profile coolers on the 4790K at 4.7/1.28V during evaluations.

Yes, but the temps is not the Cooler faults any more than it is my luck for getting a 4790K that critically needs to be delidded.

My 4790K on Prime95 after 8 hours with small packets got to 88c in one core with the rest hovering from 78-79 and 82c.

You wish a low profile air cooler could ever do that in the same test, which was done in a Mini ITX CM Elite 130 Case on Florida biggrin.gif

And yes, the thread was about the coolant inside closed loops, and I'm here telling you for what is worth that there have not been any issue on my H50, and as far as I can tell the H50 is the only Closed Loop where I've seen people saying to last for the best part of a decade, making the issue less of a "thick coolant" and more of a "Weak Pump"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceadderman View Post

Get back to me when you've had it for 10 years.

iirc Warranty period was 5 years. I expect there to be a year or two overlap in coverage on everything with a reasonably long warranty period. 7 years is good, but I'll be more impressed with 10 years. thumb.gif

My old h50 which I sold is just now approaching the EoL of it's warranty. I think it's got ~1yr left. biggrin.gif

~Ceadder smil3dbd4e4c2e742.gif

Almost 8 years at this point, cooling just like the first day. I have yet to see a H50 having its pump fail, maybe that's because they all were made with strong pumps capable of lasting longer than 8 years, and even if it does dies before the 10 years mark... It's 50$ freaking dollars for Christ sake, I won't build a custom loop just so I can change its coolant every 8 years, I'd rather buy another 50$ Closed Loop, I'd just have to buy around 8 closed loops in my entire life, if I even get to live that long that is.
post #190 of 366 Old 06-25-2016, 01:30 PM
Intel Overclocker

Liked: 367
Quote:

Yes, but the temps is not the Cooler faults any more than it is my luck for getting a 4790K that critically needs to be delidded.

My 4790K on Prime95 after 8 hours with small packets got to 88c in one core with the rest hovering from 78-79 and 82c.

You wish a low profile air cooler could ever do that in the same test, which was done in a Mini ITX CM Elite 130 Case on Florida biggrin.gif

And yes, the thread was about the coolant inside closed loops, and I'm here telling you that for what is worth that have not been an issue on the H50, and as far as I can tell the H50 is the only Closed Loop I've seen people saying to last for the best part of a decade, making the issue less of a "thick coolant" and more of a "Weak Pump"
Almost 8 years at this point, cooling just like the first day. I have yet to see a H50 having its pump fail, maybe that's because they all were made with strong pumps capable of lasting longer than 8 years, and even if it does dies before the 10 years mark... It's 50$ freaking dollars for Christ sake, I won't build a custom loop just so I can change its coolant every 8 years, I'd rather buy another 50$ Closed Loop, I'd just have to buy around 8 closed loops in my entire life, if I even get to live that long that is.

My wish already came true. It just may have been too quietly for you to hear through the fan noise. tongue.gif

This also makes one wonder if the coolant used in the old Asetek models was a different formulation. That could be another reason we see H50s that seem to outlive others - I am purely speculating on that. There is also the heat factor to consider. You are a bit of an anomaly using an H50 on an OC 4790K from what I have seen. Most times I see an H50 mentioned it is along the lines of "my H50 on my Athlon X2 240 is still chugging along". So, could well be a combination of factors.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page