Too many components on loop??? - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
In the documentation, Zalman recommends adding a stronger pump directly after their's if adding multiple components. Don't know what their advice is worth tho...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 38 Old 03-24-2008, 09:15 AM
4387 point(s) total

Liked: 4426
Quote:
Originally Posted by njdad61 View Post
My current configuration is the Reserator to CPU to Northbridge to 8800GTX and the temps stay way lower than air cooling at idle and especially under load. The flow just seems really low. I need to add a southbridge cooler because I have a block on my northbridge and my board is an EVGA 680i SLI, so my SB is naked right now without the stock heatpipe/heatsink/fan... I broke off the heatsink and left the pipe to reattach it to the SB but the temps are still higher than normal (60/70C)

I believe Cog had the Reserator just with a CPU and complained of horrible temperatures. I extremely doubt a passive rad can handle a 350w+ load. How are you loading your system? Run Orthos + ATITools simultaneously for 30 mins and post a screenshot of temps.

You risk damaging your SB if you are running it naked. Just get an aftermarket HS for it.

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #13 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 01:14 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Okay, I decided to nix the SB waterblock and order the MCP350 pump and a Black Ice Extreme 120mm rad + fan to add to the loop... My final setup will look like this:

Reserator 1 V2(with weak pump still operational)>>>Swiftech MCP350 pump>>>WB4 Plus CPU block>>>NWB1 NB block>>>GWB8800GTX VGA block>>>Black Ice Extreme 120mm rad+fan>>>back to Reserator 1 V2

Any thoughts on this setup?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 01:20 AM
=^_^=

Liked: 284
Quote:
Okay, I decided to nix the SB waterblock and order the MCP350 pump and a Black Ice Extreme 120mm rad + fan to add to the loop... My final setup will look like this:

Reserator 1 V2(with weak pump still operational)>>>Swiftech MCP350 pump>>>WB4 Plus CPU block>>>NWB1 NB block>>>GWB8800GTX VGA block>>>Black Ice Extreme 120mm rad+fan>>>back to Reserator 1 V2

My thoughts on that setup would be that that is one of the weirdest setups I have ever seen. I really don't think you will get very good temps.

2 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #15 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 01:21 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 143
i would just scrap ur loop and build from scratch. that zalman w/b isn't the best for that quad a 360 and 240 should be able to handle ur temps and keeping that sb naked will just add to more probs. i also want PROOF of you temps w/that 8800gtx in ur loop and ur staying cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunion go_quote.gif
Please to help me understand what is Stock?
post #16 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 01:23 AM
=^_^=

Liked: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by roningai View Post
i would just scrap ur loop and build from scratch. that zalman w/b isn't the best for that quad a 360 and 240 should be able to handle ur temps and keeping that sb naked will just add to more probs. i also want PROOF of you temps w/that 8800gtx in ur loop and ur staying cool
Yeah, you should really post a screenshot with your temps. I just can't believe that you could get decent temps with that setup.

2 Million+ Folding at Home points  Chimp Challenge 3 x Participant  Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #17 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 01:25 AM
4387 point(s) total

Quote:

The small pump is just going to burn out and/or cause more restriction. Just get rid of the Zalman parts.

The GWB8800GTX is one of the WORST designed waterblocks. What kind of n00b uses four 90 degree turns and aluminum?

To answer most of your questions: (1) a fridge cannot cool a PC (2) 64-bit OS for over 3.4GB (3) If a PCIe card fits, it should work (4) Resolution, not screen size (5) Report, not respond to Spam (6) Single-Rail/Non-Modular PSUs are not always better than Multi-Rail/Modular (7) Sequential does not matter as much as random for OS drives (8) Requirements come before hardware for servers

post #18 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 02:35 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Okay. I'll get the screenshots when I get back to my room. The idle temp w/ TAT is low 30s and loaded with orthos for 1 hr the max was 59. GPU idle temp w/ rivatuner is 40-42. Not sure what the loaded temp is. DLing AtiTools now. I'll run the tests again and take ss. I don't know if these temps are the greatest(my first WC build) but I know they are a lot better than what they were with air cooling, especially since I'm in Iraq and it's already in the mid-90s during the day... I just don't see how adding a pump before all the blocks to increase flow and a radiator after to help cool before the coolant reaches the reservoir would do anything but help the system. And since the weak pump is doing nothing but pumping straight into the stronger pump, how would that increase restriction since it takes water out of a reservoir, not a closed loop?

post #19 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 05:57 AM
GTT
4.0ghz

Liked: 62
Just keep it CPU & GPU, use an after market air cooling on the NB & SB.

3DMark06 = 17,153@3.60Ghz

post #20 of 38 Old 03-27-2008, 06:07 AM
4387 point(s) total

Quote:
Okay. I'll get the screenshots when I get back to my room. The idle temp w/ TAT is low 30s and loaded with orthos for 1 hr the max was 59. GPU idle temp w/ rivatuner is 40-42. Not sure what the loaded temp is. DLing AtiTools now. I'll run the tests again and take ss. I don't know if these temps are the greatest(my first WC build) but I know they are a lot better than what they were with air cooling, especially since I'm in Iraq and it's already in the mid-90s during the day... I just don't see how adding a pump before all the blocks to increase flow and a radiator after to help cool before the coolant reaches the reservoir would do anything but help the system. And since the weak pump is doing nothing but pumping straight into the stronger pump, how would that increase restriction since it takes water out of a reservoir, not a closed loop?
If the big pump is push water at 3LPH and the small pump is pushing 1LPH... then you would be restricting the feed of big pump. The big pump would be starving for water that it could have already gotten if the small pump wasn't in the way.

Drop the all the Zalman parts. THEY SUCK. The GPU block is one of the worst designs ever! Who ever designed it doesn't understand restriction. Those 4 90 degree bends are equivalent to like 30 ft of tubing....

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page