Re-designing my water loop... - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 06-23-2008, 10:50 AM - Thread Starter
dsa.msc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 420
I built my current loop about 2 months ago. I am beginning to realize that its not the optimal setup for airflow or efficient use of space. Loop order ATM is: pump->rad1->rad2->cpu->gpu->res. First 2 photos below show current layout. As you can see Rad1 (right after the pump) has 2 fans in pull and its kinda stuck with its back against the HDD bays. There are ventilation holes in the walls of the HDD cage but I suspect they aren't enough especially since there is no space between the two. Also that rad is just dumping its heat back into the case.

I'm considering mounting a 2x120mm rad on the back of the case externally with a radbox. The dual rad in the roof will stay (hole cut in the roof of the case for it to vent) and I would like to mount an additional 1x120m rad in the front of the case where the 5.25" drives go (see pic 3). I am currently unemployed due to injury so I really cant be spending much money on this... I already have lots of extra tubing, new coolant (clear UV-blue) and the extra 1x120 rad (and a million extra fans).

Pic 4 is a 2-minute Paint diagram of how the new loop should work and apoximate location of the pump and res.
New order: Pump->Rad1(roof)->Rad2(rear,ext)->CPU->Rad3(frnt)->GPU->Res
Please give any input or advice!

PS: at the same time as the rebuild i will be flushing the system to use the new coolant. from what research I've done it seems its best to use distilled water to flush the system. Providing the tubing (all Tygon) isn't all grimy (Ive been using Feser One coolant for the last 2 months) can it be reused?? Thanks
LL
LL
LL
LL

5 Million+ Folding at Home points 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 06-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Habitual Tinkerer

Liked: 1192
Looks pretty good, getting that one rad out into the cooler room ambients should help temp's a little to..

I just rinse mine out with plain distilled water if it doesn't have a lot of crud growing in it...

When I rear mount a rad like that I make some little air diverters out of a plastic jug and stick then into the PSU hold down bracket so the air will be blown off to the side instead of going through the rad...You might want to do something like that for the GPU exhaust also..You can always pull them off to take pic's..The rad-box has a built in baffle so the case fans air wount pull through it....

Quote:
***Beware all ye Men born of Woman, beware the Hemogoblins...biggrin.gif...If you argue with a Troll the Troll wins. Do not feed the Trolls.***
***TOS***OCN's Professionalism Initiative*** An Emphasis on Quality of Content***Frozen Path. Sub-Zero Cooling Club***
***E8500 @ 5736 Mhz** E8600 @ 5751Mhz***E8400 @ Dead piece of junkQuote:
Originally Posted by Patch
Makes sense. Trolls have nickel plated red blood cells. Helps their copper based hemogoblin deal with the high aluminium content in their spleens.
post #3 of 8 Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 AM - Thread Starter
dsa.msc

Ira-k thanks for the tip about the power supply exhaust. Ill rig something up once this project is done... I guess my next step is stripping the whole thing down. Im going to try to pick up a godawful beige garbage case locally for $5 to house my sig rig while i'm workin on my good case. I will keep posting with updates... and keep the tips comin!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 06-23-2008, 02:29 PM
Habitual Tinkerer

NP..Yeah give us some pic's as you go along...

Quote:
***Beware all ye Men born of Woman, beware the Hemogoblins...biggrin.gif...If you argue with a Troll the Troll wins. Do not feed the Trolls.***
***TOS***OCN's Professionalism Initiative*** An Emphasis on Quality of Content***Frozen Path. Sub-Zero Cooling Club***
Makes sense. Trolls have nickel plated red blood cells. Helps their copper based hemogoblin deal with the high aluminium content in their spleens.
post #5 of 8 Old 06-23-2008, 09:35 PM - Thread Starter
dsa.msc

K I have started removing all unnecessary items in the case. I unstuck the pump from its vibration-reducing pad and removed the resevior. A local guy is giving me and old cr*p case to use as my temp while I work on the new loop tomorrow. I probably wont do too much more tonight. ill keep posting!

ira-k likes this.

post #6 of 8 Old 06-23-2008, 10:09 PM
Habitual Tinkerer

Keep on posting...Its a start......How do you like your 620 Corsair? I really like mine, my v-core is steady as a rock on OCCT, 12volt line to...

Quote:
post #7 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter
dsa.msc

i love my psu. solid as a rock, never given me any trouble at all. im workin on a build log that i will post soon, keep and eye out for it in the worklog thread

post #8 of 8 Old 06-24-2008, 05:22 PM
Habitual Tinkerer

Good Deal......I'll be watching for it...

Quote:

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page