Forum Jump: 

post #14681 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 AM
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
Guys,

I have a question. I am picking H50 up from Microcenter today after work. I will be installing an extra fan with shrouds in P/P config.

How do you guys set up the fan(s) speed? Leave them on at full speed, manually controlled the speed or let the BIOS control the speed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14682 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 10:29 AM
3.5ghz

Liked: 30
I just let computer control it, when it's not working full load it slows so it'sokay, but for my ultra kaze I use controller

post #14683 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 11:22 AM
1.3ghz

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawamin View Post
Guys,

I have a question. I am picking H50 up from Microcenter today after work. I will be installing an extra fan with shrouds in P/P config.

How do you guys set up the fan(s) speed? Leave them on at full speed, manually controlled the speed or let the BIOS control the speed?
Fan speed is largely up to your own preferences. The pump, however, should always have full power.
I run 90% of my fans via molex because I've yet to find a controller that I like enough to buy hehe. I don't care about quiet pc's either......

But if you're unsure about all the settings involved in bios and OS you may want to use a 3-4pin adapter for your push and pull fans and pump I suppose, though your bios might start chirping at you with no cpu fan detected. That way you can be certain that there's no chance their power is fluctuating.

Not sure what you're goals are but I would suggest at least running your rad fan(s) at max speed for the first couple days...then you at least get some idea of how the TIM and HS are doing before you start messing with the fans because you'll probably be spending more time on them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #14684 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 11:43 AM
Commodore 64

Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skoobs View Post
would it be an option for you to add more holes to the case for fans? i would say throw 2 scythe slipstreams on the bottom and a single one in front of the PSU on top. If you do this, make sure to lift it up with some feet!

these area great:
http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=23215

and be sure to add FILTERS to the bottom fans!

nexus makes some great ones.

Thanks Skoobs, I have a couple fans enroute atm, I was thinking of one on top, (exhaust), and adding a expansion slot fan below the GPU to exhaust. Any placed on bottom I would need to add the feet onto the case for sure, but not real keen on that idea. Those case feet you mentioned did look cool. Thanks. The fan on top will be set to exhaust I'm thinking, then I'll see where I stand on temps at that point and go from there?

You think I should leave the current fan configuration, front/back as both intake?

post #14685 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 12:49 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 53
well I guess you can /sign me up! got my h50 installed, but under prime 95, temp jumps from 35c ambient(ish) to 64-70c+! it scares me, and im wondering what (if anything) i did wrong? here's some pics of my setup: corsair is pulling in from outside, then radiator, then casefan pulling from corsair over towards front of case. I didnt replace the shin TIM, decided since i didnt have any AS5 on hand not to try to replace with POS TIM

Fan setup is as follows: corsair fan: on cpu header 3pin pump connector: on chassis header set at 100% duty 100% of the time. Stock chassis fan: on molex pumping as much as it can(wondering if i should replace it with tricool)
post #14686 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 30
^ wow dude, 70 deg is WAY tooo high, max temp is 62 deg so you want to under shoot that temperature

I don't know if shin etsu thermal compound needs break in period but that might be it if it is.

post #14687 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 03:22 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofyo1 View Post
well I guess you can /sign me up! got my h50 installed, but under prime 95, temp jumps from 35c ambient(ish) to 64-70c+! it scares me, and im wondering what (if anything) i did wrong? here's some pics of my setup: corsair is pulling in from outside, then radiator, then casefan pulling from corsair over towards front of case. I didnt replace the shin TIM, decided since i didnt have any AS5 on hand not to try to replace with POS TIM

Fan setup is as follows: corsair fan: on cpu header 3pin pump connector: on chassis header set at 100% duty 100% of the time. Stock chassis fan: on molex pumping as much as it can(wondering if i should replace it with tricool)

There has been more than a few people on here posting about how they had to scrape off the stock Shin, remove about half of it, then reapply to get a more appropriate amount but of course there are many variables to that and if you don't have something decent to replace it with you might wanna try some other troubleshooting on your radiator and case fans and see if that fixes it.
Shin-etsu doesn't have a cure time which is probably the biggest reason it's what comes stock....I can foresee a lot of potential returns of H series if they had gone with something that needed to cure since more people than you'd think are rather underinformed when it comes to TIM so better to put something on that is probably very impressive when you first install one after using stock HSFs.

Sorry, seem to be rambling a lot today, heh. Back on point...70c takes a pretty high ambient and a heck of a lot of voltage for me to reach. It's not an insanely dangerous temp if you're not sitting at it for long periods but certainly too high for me 24/7. I know chips are different but when your load is virtually double your idle it makes me think there is an unfilled gap or overfilled cpu or perhaps your cpu is a little concave and the HS plate a little convex or vice versa....either of them lapped by chance? If not make sure when you do finally remount it(as I have a feeling you will get around to it before too long ) give the surfaces a thorough cleaning and do a flatness test....if you haven't already of course ^^ Would bring up fans and possible problems there but you seem like you've carefully eliminated them as the culprits.
kingofyo1 likes this.
post #14688 of 28473 Old 11-16-2010, 05:51 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 4
I bought the H70 today--intake push/pull pair of UlrtraK 3K's and i used the MX3 used a razor got the stock stuff off..nosiy as hell but im okay with that.
Full load Prime lrg fft 45c-idle 27-28c..Ambient about 75f..so far so good

Im at 4.1 1.55 v.

Somethings wrong that idle temp is worse than my stock cooler AMD's hate the heat id shut er' down and start taking things loose you'll find something

Best of luck.

post #14689 of 28473 Old 11-17-2010, 12:15 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 53
Slimbrady, your post minded me to recheck all the pressure on the bolts holding the heatsink in place. Found that one was terribly loose! I just musta forgot that :/ On the plus side, I stopped at a comp repair shop on the way to work earlier, grabbed some good TIM and scraped the shin off the h50. Upon replacement with 5 dots strategically placed around the cpu, I'm able to get *and keep in mind, this is Southern Mississippi in an ambient 80F house, an UNDER PRIME 95 LOAD at 25 minutes it went from 23C to 38C! that's a TON better than 70's! oh btw, +rep for the suggestions thanks again and now a REALLY proud owner of an H50 in Push Pull

here's some new images, as well as my airflow diagram

I've since positioned the spot cooler pointing blown air straight up over the NB to the exhaust fans to try and cool off the NB some

Take a look at the case side panel, and you'll see why there's so many blue arrows and only a couple of reds: blue=intake, red=exhaust of course
post #14690 of 28473 Old 11-17-2010, 05:40 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 70
you have turned your PSU fan to intake????

ninja.gif.:|Gigabyte790FXTA-UD5Club|:.ninja.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page