Join Date: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi. I just oced my i7 920 to 3.6 using h50. oced good?
these are my settings:
cpu multi: 20x
cpu vcore: 1.20(bios), 1.184(cpu-z)
dram voltage: 1.5v (rated voltage of pi series 1600)
all other settings on auto.
ran stable for 4 hrs of prime95 and 1hr of auto on occt.
1. asus turboV registered qpi/dram of 1.25000 ... - is this ok? or should it be lower?
2. cpu pll left auto - is this ok too? or should be upped quite a bit?
3. i'm having a max temp of 70,69,70,69 on coretemp after all stress test. ambient temp=29-30 degrees - are these good temps?
4. dram settings were on auto and it won't automatically enter the products advertised settings, what should i do?
5. last question, is there a way i could lower vcore while maintaning stability?
---> like playing with qpi/dram, cpu pll, ioh, ich?
I bet you can get better temps than that. I'd like to try and get you into the low to mid 50's for an i7 920 @ 3.6GHz.
These are the settings I used on my Asus board when I OC'd it @ 3.6. You might want to give these a try and see how you do.
Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting [21.0]
BCLK Frequency 
PCIE Frequency 
QPI Link Data Rate [Auto]
CPU Voltage Control [Manual]
CPU Voltage [1.0625]
CPU PLL Voltage [1.80]
QPI/DRAM Core Voltage [1.20000]
IOH Voltage [1.20]
IOH PCIE Voltage [Auto]
ICH Voltage [1.30]
ICH PCIE Voltage [Auto]
DRAM Bus Voltage [1.64]
Load-Line Calibration [Enabled]
CPU Differential Amplitude [800mV]
CPU Clock Skew [Delay 300ps]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
IOH Clock Skew [Auto]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
C1E Support [Disabled]
Hardware Prefetcher [Enabled]
Adjacent Cache Line Prefetch [Enabled]
Intel(r) Virtualization Tech [Enabled]
CPU TM Function [Enabled]
Execute Disable Bit [Enabled]
Intel(r) HT Technology [Disabled]
Active Processor Cores [All]
Intel(r) SpeedStep(tm) Tech [Disabled]
Intel(r) C-STATE Tech [Disabled]
Thanks for the help! glad for it!
I'm really new to ocing i7 920. i'm afraid of playing with the settings. is it safe to go with the settings you just posted?
1. with the ich voltage of 1.3?
2. i disabled turbo mode, can i get 21x multiplier even without turbo mode?
3. my ram is rated at 1.5v, is it ok to raise it to 1.64? link: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820231335
4. should i really disable ht?
5. last, is it safe playing with the differential amplitude, cpu clock skew?
Yep, you should be good with those settings. If your ram is rated at 1.5, drop it to that level or "Auto". I tried to find the lowest voltage settings for that OC. If anything, you might have to bump it up a little higher.
Also, FYI - Taken from one of the threads on this forum.
Q: What are safe voltages?
A: According to intel or common knowledge the following are the safe air temperatures:
qpi/uncore (VTT): 1.35
Vdimm:~1.65 (Some will say that you are safe within .5 of your qpi/uncore allowing for a max of 1.85 on vdimm. See the link to the xtreme systems forum below on this subject for a long thread).
IOH: Less than 1.3
ICH: Less than 1.3
what about turning ht off? i read from another site that 3.6 oc is the best in a performance/power consumption. going to 3.8/4.0 has a big leap in power consumption. is it good to just stay with 3.6?
how about my temps of 66-68 with ht on? is it good enough with ht on? ambient of 28-29...
I updated my post, hopefully that helped answer some of the other questions. With an ambient of 28-29c, you should be in the high 50's to low 60's. Lowering your vcore will probably help you out with this a bit. Yes, 3.6 is probably the best performance/power consumption ratio for this chip. It really just depends on what you want out of it personally. Staying at 3.6 would be fine, and plenty of processing power!