EK FC480GTX block question - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-09-2010, 07:46 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 8
So I got the parts for my new build (link in sig if you're interested) and I've put the first block on one of the evga gtx480s. The EK-FC480gtx block comes with 17 screws and standoffs which are used to screw the block to the board.

However, the instructions imply there should be a screw hole where there isn't one. In fact, where the instructions indicate there should be a hole is the same place it told you in the previous step that should be covered with the thermal tape.

I suspect the instructions are just old and copied from a previous version of the block. The version I found on the EK website doesnt mention that particular hole but I found it interesting they still included the extra screw/standoff.

Anyone else experienced this with the EK-FC480GTX block?

I'll see if the 2nd one has the same number of screws and instructions tomorrow. I'll also post a picture for reference if anyone else finds this thread in future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-09-2010, 07:52 PM
NoBody

Liked: 390
Hhmmm, does it affect installation really?

Guess I'll find out Friday, have not read about this issue yet.

Chimp Challenge Participant  4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #3 of 3 Old 06-09-2010, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
733mhz

Liked: 8
It doesn't affect the installation of the block or compromise the attachment.

Just was very strange to read. I believe the block does have a hole there for the screw but the gpu itself has no screw hole there. It would go through one of the chips (iirc) if you placed it where the instructions said. The previous step on the instructions even show there is no hole there.

You'll probably look at the 2 back screws and have a "***?" moment. They attach to the block in the corner of the fan cutout on the board. You have to use the included washers to spread the load.

Also it was very useful to use a tiny bit of thermal paste to stick the standoffs onto the block. They do suggest this but most people wouldn't do it.

I'll post some images in the build log (link in sig) tomorrow when I install the 2nd block. I'll show the screw hole which is unused if it is the same as the first one.

--------------------------------
Edit:
http://81.90.180.2/ekwaterblocks/sho...1109830130.pdf
If you look in step 3, you can see the unused hole at the bottom left. In my copy of the instructions it says to put one there heh.

You'll also need to pull a bit on the heatsink to get it off once you've undone all the screws - that thermal paste they used has set pretty hard.
Also be careful to not strip the screw heads on when undoing them. Some of them have that threadlock glue stuff on the ends and are really tight.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page