...::: The H50 / H60 / H70 / H80 / H90 / H100 Mod Club :::... [UPDATED] - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 262 Old 08-04-2010, 08:01 AM
Windows Wrangler

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by smex View Post
calm down.. kinds of people are made in the human´s sick head. there are better ways to express what you think instead arguing with hate.
the point is.. the h50 is 5h1tty and some people tried to make it better and/or pimped its appearence. thats like you wanted to forbid somebody to change rims on his car or other crappy stuff. if it was sealed, it can be sealed again, so this is not the point.
you can look and compare here http://www.overclock.net/water-cooli...pe-watcha.html in my old h50 mod thread.

although i appriciate your interes in this thread.. i got the h50 quite a while modded now. i tried over 15 configurations with it and i came to the conclusion that not the pump is too weak, no .. the problem is that there is not enough copper to establish a sufficient cooling surface on the h50 bead.

with more copper you could get really much better temps even with a not very very fast waterflow..

cheers

First off, i didnt mean to offend anyone, even though i literally said hate you, but i guess i couldnt really express what i meant.

I think its great that you guys mod your H50s, since modding is good, and you take what you have and try to make it better. But cmeeks is making it sound like its cheaper to get a H50, and mod it, than it will be to make a custom loop, which is correct, and that the custom loop will do a better job cooling, which it wont. I love my H50 and all, but i would kill to get a custom loop, because i want a nice fat radiator, and a sleek looking block, and awesome temps and a better OC.

Oh, and i had seen that thread you had when you first modded your H50, and it looks pretty awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 262 Old 08-04-2010, 08:54 AM

Liked: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooxz View Post
cmeeks is making it sound like its cheaper to get a H50, and mod it, than it will be to make a custom loop, which is correct, and that the custom loop will do a better job cooling, which it wont.
I don't really understand exactly what your saying above, but to clarify - I have made no claims regarding the performance of a modded h50 vs a custom loop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fooxz View Post
H50 Mod: $80 (H50) + $60 (good Rad) + $25-$45 (microres, or even bigger res?) = $165-185
a decent rad can be had for under $50 and you don't need a reservoir. I rebuilt my h50 with no reservoir. Suddenly it's still much less than a custom loop. Plus, if I'm going to go through the trouble to build a custom loop, I would do it right. I have priced one out just out of curiosity and it would cost me about $250.
post #23 of 262 Old 08-04-2010, 09:13 AM
AMD Overclocker

Liked: 106
I was able to mod one of the 775 brackets ( I believe) to mount to 939 socket. Cut and grind a little here and there, find a couple springs and a bolt just long enough to make contact, BLOW, done... No pics, but it worked flawlessly. I can if anyone wants to see tho. Gets nice and tight, and does the job right. I think 939 CPU dies are just too big, 90nm, to stay cool with the H50 tho. My ES got 3ghz stable at 1.45vcore, but mid 60s under full load... ouch

And thats WITH a Scythe Ultra Kaze 3k, no matter the rpm, best temp I could get was mid to lower 60s...

Personal best - 11,811 in 3DMark06 on 01/16/2016 socket 939 baby!

Proud elite member of the Socket 939 Appreciation Club.

biggrin.gif OCN Retro - The Overclock.net Retrogaming Club biggrin.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 262 Old 08-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Windows Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
I don't really understand exactly what your saying above, but to clarify - I have made no claims regarding the performance of a modded h50 vs a custom loop.

a decent rad can be had for under $50 and you don't need a reservoir. I rebuilt my h50 with no reservoir. Suddenly it's still much less than a custom loop. Plus, if I'm going to go through the trouble to build a custom loop, I would do it right. I have priced one out just out of curiosity and it would cost me about $250.
Your post seemed to indicate that a modded h50 was near the cooling capacity of a custom loop.

post #26 of 262 Old 08-05-2010, 06:46 AM
Windows Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by smex View Post
no no.. nobody here is close to insanity, at least not that close^^
See, thats what i thought

post #28 of 262 Old 08-12-2010, 05:56 AM
Extreme Cable OCD

Liked: 252
does using my H50 rad in another loop count as an H50 mod?... i had to get another pump/block xD and yes i know my block is slighlt crooked, thats because my mobo mounts both 775 and 1156 coolers... i happened to have bought a 775 block....still have as yet to add a vid card block..
LL
post #29 of 262 Old 08-12-2010, 06:05 AM - Thread Starter
Amiga 500

Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCSarge View Post
does using my H50 rad in another loop count as an H50 mod?... i had to get another pump/block xD and yes i know my block is slighlt crooked, thats because my mobo mounts both 775 and 1156 coolers... i happened to have bought a 775 block....still have as yet to add a vid card block..
well, i see you kept the best part of the h50
maybe you could use the h50´s head to cool some beer at least?!

it counts as a 51% h50 mod which is still enough to make you welcome here!

cheers

edit: can you tell us what it does? did it improve something significantly? or did you just not get enough cash for the radi trying to recycle it?^^
post #30 of 262 Old 08-12-2010, 06:09 AM - Thread Starter
Amiga 500

Liked: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeeks View Post
I'm going to treat this post as my work log - any past and future mods will be updated right here as well as up to date temps.

CURRENT SETUP
- Q9550 @ 3.57GHZ - 1.25v
- GT-AP15 pull (exhaust)
- Shin-Etsu X23 7783D TIM (dot method)
- Lapped h50
- Lapped processor
- Modded tubes

CURRENT TEMPS

Test Method:
- Intel Burn Test
- 3,000MB stress level
- 5 passes

Temps:
- Ambient: 25C
- Max Load: 68C
- Idle: 37C

MODS

Backplate Mod
I didn't like the flimsy plastic back plate that Corsair included with the h50 - it's not even stiff enough to restrain the mobo from flexing. So I used a metal one.

Tube Mod
I replaced the stock h50 tubes with 1/4" ID clear vinyl tubes from the hardware store. Performance increase was nil. But cost was $3 for tubing + $7 for PT Nuke biocide and it looks good! 1/4" ID tubes fit tight enough that hose clamps are not even necesary.

Lapping Mod
I highly recommend doing this while performing the tube mod - while the rad is unattached. Performance gain was about 2 to 3C. I went through 600, 1000, 1500, 2000, and 2500 grit sandpaper.

nice done

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page