Wordpress vs building website from scratch - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 08-25-2013, 06:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Are there any cons to using wordpress to build a website as opposed to building a site from scratch? The site will be used to advertise products for a company (nothing will be sold directly on the site). My primary concerns are with bandwidth usage and security. This will be a larger site that should receive quite a bit of traffic. Does the extra "bloat" of a CMS have any noticeable impact on bandwidth usage?

There will also be a login / register option where users can select their own username and password. How is wordpress for handling a large user database? Does this present any additional security risks?

The reason I ask is because I understand wordpress wasn't really intended for this kind of use. It has however, evolved over the years and is now quite versatile. There are several wordpress plugins that I'd like to use that will save me quite a bit of time and money. Obviously this isn't worth it if there will be glaring security / bandwidth issues.

If anybody has any experience with this I'd greatly appreciate your input.

Thanks

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.4 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
GPU: Dual Sapphire R9 290X
Memory: 16GB Samsung "Magic Memory"
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Case: Corsair 900D
Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Programmer

Liked: 100
You are probably not going to use much extra bandwidth with wordpress. You will see a fairly significantly higher server load than you would with a more static site. There are ways to mitigate this with caching plugins for wordpress as well as php caching libraries you can install on your server if you have enough control.

Although not its original intention, wordpress has evolved into a significantly different beast than what it started out as. Its a great place to start if the site you are doing fits well into it base functionality and plugin ecosystem well.

There are a lot of very large sites running WP so it can handle it well, but you will definitely want to look into the different caching options if the site is going to be heavily trafficked
Some things you can run into are certain things can be harder to do if you are using wordpress and if you need custom functionality there is a learning curve to writing WP plugins.

I prefer to roll my own sites most of the time, but there are quite a few instances where WP just makes way more sense from a time/cost perspective for both myself and the client.

Hope that helps a little bit

post #3 of 4 Old 08-26-2013, 11:39 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by glakr View Post

You are probably not going to use much extra bandwidth with wordpress. You will see a fairly significantly higher server load than you would with a more static site. There are ways to mitigate this with caching plugins for wordpress as well as php caching libraries you can install on your server if you have enough control.

Although not its original intention, wordpress has evolved into a significantly different beast than what it started out as. Its a great place to start if the site you are doing fits well into it base functionality and plugin ecosystem well.

There are a lot of very large sites running WP so it can handle it well, but you will definitely want to look into the different caching options if the site is going to be heavily trafficked
Some things you can run into are certain things can be harder to do if you are using wordpress and if you need custom functionality there is a learning curve to writing WP plugins.

I prefer to roll my own sites most of the time, but there are quite a few instances where WP just makes way more sense from a time/cost perspective for both myself and the client.

Hope that helps a little bit

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did a quick search for some of those caching plugins and there are tons of them. I'm sure one of them will fit my needs. I'm right there with you regarding building sites from scratch. I'm just fairly new to web development and not sure how to implement some of the functionality that some of these wordpress plugins offer. I'm gonna look into the additional steps necessary to convert your html and css into a wordpress compatible theme. Maybe get the best of both worlds.

CPU: Intel Core i7-4930K @ 4.4 GHz
Motherboard: ASUS Rampage IV Formula
GPU: Dual Sapphire R9 290X
Memory: 16GB Samsung "Magic Memory"
SSD: Crucial MX100 512GB
PSU: Corsair AX1200i
Case: Corsair 900D
Cooling: Custom Liquid Cooling
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 08-27-2013, 04:15 PM
Programmer

Liked: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShoehornHands View Post

Thanks for the info. This is exactly what I was looking for. I did a quick search for some of those caching plugins and there are tons of them. I'm sure one of them will fit my needs. I'm right there with you regarding building sites from scratch. I'm just fairly new to web development and not sure how to implement some of the functionality that some of these wordpress plugins offer. I'm gonna look into the additional steps necessary to convert your html and css into a wordpress compatible theme. Maybe get the best of both worlds.

Its actually really easy to do the main theme first and then convert it to a WP theme. Pretty simple process. I have done that many times or retrofitted an existing site design into a WP theme for a blog when the whole site was not WP based. Go for it.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page