post #1 of 6 Old 07-18-2011, 08:48 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Send a message via AIM to Kahbrohn
Hi!

Weird thing happening to my system. Until recently I was using a usb flash stick just fine. Centon Prostick, 8Gb. I now can ot see it in my control panel BUT I do see it in device manager. It has a drive letter assigned to it an all. I just don't have access to it.

Ok... the weird part is... that's on my user account. On my wife's user account on the same machine... she see's it just fine and has full access/usage of the flash stick.

I have all access permissions within Win 7 64-bit, SP1.

Ideas? I have so far uninstalled, re-installed, deleted, and a few more ideas I came across while googling this problem including downloading any new driver and such. Nada... I tried this with a different stick I had laying around and the same thing. Wife see's it just fine. I don't.

AMD FX Clubsniper.gif
Validation - Updated as of 4/21/12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 10:38 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 196
This has happened to me before with a flash drive. I could use it a work, but I couldnt use it at home. I couldnt see it again until I reinstalled windows later. I dont want to recommend that since, there might be an easier way to do it.

Try backing up the files, then reformating it (EDIT: the flash drive) on your Wife's account.

PLEASE READ THIS BEFORE USING FEDEX OR UPS INTERNATIONALLY
Quote:
Left 4 Dead II: Starcraft II: League of Legends: Unreal Tournament III: Battlefield Bad Company 2Using HotKeys and Control Groups in Starcraft 2
post #3 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Same here... The 8Gb stick works here at work just fine and on my kids laptops. Re-formatted it several times already (Fat32, NTFS [or whatever]). No good. The alternate 512Kb stick I have has the same exact issue.

I thought about the Windows re-install BUT my wife can see the sticks just fine under her account with the same OS (same machine in other words). I am not convinced it's the OS itself but a "setting" somewhere in the OS - registry maybe? If I go into device management and do an open folder or explore to the device, I can access it and even copy files to/from it. It's just... well... invisible under my account!!!

AMD FX Clubsniper.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 12:42 PM

Liked: 154
try using this utility. Install and run as Admin format the disk and see if that works. If it doesn't i have no clue whats wrong..http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk...-10974082.html

post #5 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jach11;14271164 
try using this utility. Install and run as Admin format the disk and see if that works. If it doesn't i have no clue whats wrong..http://download.cnet.com/HP-USB-Disk-Storage-Format-Tool/3000-2094_4-10974082.html

Thanks. I'll try it when I get home tonight.

===

Oh... and if I delete it from within the Device Manager, and plug it back into the USB socket, it gets recognized and "installed" again by Win 7... just not seen.

AMD FX Clubsniper.gif
post #6 of 6 Old 07-19-2011, 03:20 PM - Thread Starter
4.0ghz

Thanks guys... I finally figured it out. nice li'l trick you can use against your boss if you need to! ;-)

This is what happened. I recently purchased and installed "TuneUp Utilities". I can actually recommend it but just be careful what you set. There is apparently a feature that allows you to show or hide drives as you wish. Sort of like a security layer against hacker or nosey spouses.

This is what I had set up when I couldn't see my flash drive:

And this is after I figured it out:

Thanks for the interest and help!

AMD FX Clubsniper.gif

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page