Windows 8 thinks it's Windows 7 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 10-12-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter
PC Gamer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 141
So I decided to partition my os drive and install Windows 7 alongside 8 (I missed aero). Now, when I boot the computer, the old-style Windows os selection menu asks me if I want to boot Windows 7, or...Windows 7. The first option loads the real 7, and the second loads 8.

What I want is the new gui os selection screen that comes with 8. I've tried changing the default os in msconfig, but it still boots to the old menu with Windows 7 listed twice.

Anyway I can fix this without reinstalling everything?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-14-2012, 01:26 AM
Linux Lobbyist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 67
No startup access to the boot menu of windows 8 under normal circumstances. 8 is geared as a more universal OS (for phones and pads and things like that) so it has been prepared as a fast-boot system, i.e. you aren't expected to have time to hit the key fast enough during boot to access the menu. So, in windows 8, you can only access it by holding shift while you click restart (which brings up a menu, with the option to display boot menu on startup on the next cycle, in there somewhere). Supposedly you can hit shift+F12 to get it, but I've found that to be almost impossible at best. Try shift+restart in windows 8.

edit: if the system is sufficiently crippled, you WILL eventually be given access to this menu during the "auto-repair" process.

2nd edit: I figure in your case, since 7 was probably not designed to recognize 8 (that's my best guess), it just defaults the selection to 7, and with 8's new way of handling boot, the short answer to your question is no.

Mo Money is not a "conspiracy"
Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page