How can any of you use Windows 8.1 Update 1? - Page 3 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #21 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter
New to Overclock.net

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1

I fixed the problem but I don't know how.

I did a few things differently this time.

1) Instead of Installing my Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, I installed my Windows 8.1 Single Language Update 1 ISO. Who knows, maybe that Group Policy Editor in Windows 8.1 Pro is causing delays at startup, I have no idea but this is what worked for me.

2) Instead of signing in with a Microsoft Account, this time I signed in with a local account and kept it that way, OneDrive requires you to be signed in with a Microsoft Account to work.

3) Instead of using Group Policy Editor to disable OneDrive like I usually did and used to see this message in Event Viewer which was probably the cause of the initial 1 minute freeze: "The server {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout." -- (Event ID) 10010, (Source) Distributed COMwhich caused the event log to be busy during startup

4) I disabled UAC completely, both from Control Panel and using a registry trick, this in turn, does not allow OneDrive to run since UAC is disable

5) I usually rename "ThisPC" to "Computer", this time I thought what the heck, let me not mess around with the OS so I left it with its default name

6) I used to go into the Star Menu folder located in: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and delete the Photos and OneDrive shortcut as I never need that crappy Photos App nor OneDrive, but this time when I tried to delete them, I noticed a warning message saying "If you delete this shortcut some programs might stop to work or something like that" so I left them alone

6) I did not install StartIsBack

I don't know what exactly fixed the issue. But I'm glad it's fixed

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 12:59 AM
I Didn't Choose The Pug Life, It Chose Me

Liked: 545
Hmm, ive not ran into any problems with the update, my icons work fine and don't take any time to load.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #23 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 01:08 AM
Overclocker in Training

Liked: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortySmalls View Post

Hmm, ive not ran into any problems with the update, my icons work fine and don't take any time to load.

Did you install any Start Menu replacement app?

Clevo P770DM-G Laptop - Intel Skylake i7-6700K (4.0GHz - 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache) with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + Advanced Copper Cooling Heatsink | 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM | 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI | Sound Blaster 3D Audio | 2 x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0) | Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0 | LG LP173WF4-SPF1 17.3" Screen (G-SYNC) | SteelSeries Sensei Wireless Laser Mouse | 660W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 01:17 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 240
I also had this issue on my gaming desktop and ultrabook, but the only thing i remember doing to solve the problem was disabling hkcmd module and persistence module from startup in task manager. I also disabled other apps too but i can't remember which specific ones.

The start up slow down issue has never occured again after doing that, but i do have one-drive enabled on the both of them (if that makes a difference idk)... tongue.gif.
post #25 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 AM
I Didn't Choose The Pug Life, It Chose Me

Liked: 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus666 View Post

Did you install any Start Menu replacement app?

No, i un-installed it a few weeks ago and learned the metro menu (super easy and way better now that i know how to use it)

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #26 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 01:40 AM
Overclocker

Liked: 389
wait I've been having issues with my windows 8 install, once I log on it takes more than a minute for the desktop to showup.

Taskmgr works fine. It's almost like explorer was disabled but isn't it's taking a long time to startup. There was no errors in event viewer and I'm using a local account that was once set as microsoft account. Could it be skydrive casuing issues?

Overclock.net 10 Year Member 

post #27 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 AM

Liked: 463
Quote:
Originally Posted by berryracer View Post

I fixed the problem but I don't know how.

I did a few things differently this time.

[...]

It's running great for me right now with MS Account and OneDrive enabled (so is technically not fixed at all).

Reading through your list, I think (1), (2) and (3) are the best candidates for what fixed it on your machine. Here's a comparison to my situation and some thoughts:

Quote:
1) Instead of Installing my Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center, I installed my Windows 8.1 Single Language Update 1 ISO. Who knows, maybe that Group Policy Editor in Windows 8.1 Pro is causing delays at startup, I have no idea but this is what worked for me.

(1) I had installed a fresh 8.1 at some point, then updated with that Update recently. I don't remember if I already had these problems before 8.1 Update as I was often using Standby instead of Shutdown. I'm scared to try (1) as I have done a lot of tweaks here and there, which I'd lose. Things are generally running super good at the moment other than that stupid Explorer issue.

Quote:
2) Instead of signing in with a Microsoft Account, this time I signed in with a local account and kept it that way, OneDrive requires you to be signed in with a Microsoft Account to work.

(2) This could be it. I'm pretty sure my 8.1 started out as MS Account, then was switched to Local directly after installation completed. The idea would be that something about OneDrive's setup gets skipped if you start out as Local Account in the first place? If you switch later, that thingy which causes the error in Event Viewer doesn't get removed right.

Quote:
3) Instead of using Group Policy Editor to disable OneDrive like I usually did and used to see this message in Event Viewer which was probably the cause of the initial 1 minute freeze: "The server {1B1F472E-3221-4826-97DB-2C2324D389AE} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout." which caused the event log to be busy during startup

If (2) is what fixed it, (3) is tied into the idea of why it works. I think I could try to create a second (local) account as an experiment to see if that account will have the Explorer problem. That might be an experiment that can prove that (2)+(3) is the reason that it's now fixed for you?

Quote:
4) I disabled UAC completely, both from Control Panel and using a registry trick, this in turn, does not allow OneDrive to run since UAC is disable

(4) I want to have UAC to see which programs ask to do suspicious things as I'm somewhat worried about malware (also hitting Alt-Y is no big deal). biggrin.gif I guess I could try it as an experiment, but there's no reason to do that if it already worked right for you before you disabled UAC on this new Windows installation?

Quote:
5) I usually rename "ThisPC" to "Computer", this time I thought what the heck, let me not mess around with the OS so I left it with its default name

(5) I never touched this.

Quote:
6) I used to go into the Star Menu folder located in: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu and delete the Photos and OneDrive shortcut as I never need that crappy Photos App nor OneDrive, but this time when I tried to delete them, I noticed a warning message saying "If you delete this shortcut some programs might stop to work or something like that" so I left them alone

(6) I was never doing anything to those files you mentioned.

Quote:
7) I did not install StartIsBack

(7) I use ClassicShell currently. When researching this Explorer + OneDrive issue, I tried disabling all start-up programs, all non-MS services and all things in ShellExView. There was no trace of anything ClassicShell running and 8.1 Update still had the Explorer issue.
MaXimus666 likes this.
post #28 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 07:41 AM
Overclocker in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownm View Post

wait I've been having issues with my windows 8 install, once I log on it takes more than a minute for the desktop to showup.

Taskmgr works fine. It's almost like explorer was disabled but isn't it's taking a long time to startup. There was no errors in event viewer and I'm using a local account that was once set as microsoft account. Could it be skydrive casuing issues?

yes, to add to the pionts above, I also disabled RAC Task but I forgot to mention it.

It is always recommended to disable RAC Task for SSDs

Clevo P770DM-G Laptop - Intel Skylake i7-6700K (4.0GHz - 4.2GHz, 8MB Intel Smart Cache) with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra + Advanced Copper Cooling Heatsink | 64GB 2133MHz DDR4 RAM | 2x GeForce GTX 980M 8.0GB GDDR5 SLI | Sound Blaster 3D Audio | 2 x Samsung 950 Pro 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe x4 SSD + 2x Samsung Spinpoint M9T ST2000LM003 5400 RPM 32MB Cache 2TB HDD (RAID 0) | Intel Wireless-AC 8260 w/ Bluetooth 4.0 | LG LP173WF4-SPF1 17.3" Screen (G-SYNC) | SteelSeries Sensei Wireless Laser Mouse | 660W AC Power Adapter | Windows 10 Pro
post #29 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 08:39 AM

Liked: 463
I found out that the problem is definitely switching a user from Microsoft Account to Local Account.

If I create a new user account and it's a Local Account, everything's fine, no Explorer problems. If I turn that new account into a Microsoft Account and then back into a Local Account, things get broken.

I can't find a method to fix it. I tried the "Autoruns" tool out of the SysInternals package but I can't see anything related to OneDrive anywhere. I have found a OneDrive folder somewhere in the user's AppData folder and deleted it, but there's no change. I think I'll give up and create a completely new user account and try to move my settings over as best as I can, still better than reinstalling Windows from scratch. tongue.gif

EDIT: I fixed my user account! The solution was deleting stuff somewhere in the Registry. I opened regedit, selected HKEY_CURRENT_USER, then searched for "skydrive". It comes up a bunch of times. I compared what I found on my real user account to what gets found on a new user account (that was created as Local Account), then simply deleted everything extra. That's it. biggrin.gif

All of this was only for search results within the HKEY_CURRENT_USER path. I did not touch any SkyDrive stuff from HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE etc.

I have no exact records of what I did. I was willing to risk messing with the Registry as I was already prepared to delete my user account and create a new one, so I was just deleting stuff without worry.
MaXimus666 likes this.
post #30 of 42 Old 04-18-2014, 10:39 AM
Overclocker in Training

we are finally solving this riddle!

I am happy with the local account, I turned off all sync, all metro app updates and notifications, windows defender and its 2 startup entries

now my pc is starting to work right

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page