Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Hello everyone,

I come here once more for help from the professionals. My sister is doing a study where she needs to register patients keystrokes and the exact time they press them. I've had some experience with keyloggers before but none of them really seem to provide that information. I'm not talking about the log file time stamp, I need individual time stamps for each keystroke. Example:

15:12:55 k
15:12:57 c
15:13:02 v

I imagine most people that come here asking for keyloggers are up to no good but please understand that if that was the case I wouldn't need that specific function. My sister has some money she can spend on licenses but not too much.

For those who are curious these are patient with muscles/metal problems and to test out an experimental way to help them they need to know exactly how long it takes for each keystroke, a similar experiment was done 20 years ago and they only used cameras, forcing them to analyse data for 8 month manually, I'm trying to spare my sister this hardship.

I'm currently looking at hardware keyloggers from 10 years ago hoping they are still so rudimentary to display each keystroke timestamp but I'm not having the best of luck.

If this topic is somehow violating forum policy or not appropriate I do understand and I do apologize, in that case perhaps close the topic and send me a PM.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-13-2016, 08:07 PM
New to Overclock.net

Liked: 135
Hi,
This sounds interesting, I would like to have a go at helping with this medicine related exercise.

Is there any limitations to this program? Do the patients need to be able to have their keys logged in any program? Or can a program be made specifically to test the patients reaction times, where only keystrokes in the program are logged and time stamped?

Maybe PM me with more specifics and I can try to help smile.gif
Jupitel likes this.

"Out here, survival is the name of the game. Only it's not a game; it's deadly serious." - R. Coight
post #3 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 02:39 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Hello spinFX,

Thanks for your interest. I'll answer here so perhaps if I wasn't clear I can add some more information.

So for the experiment all the data they really need it the text written and a time stamp for each keystroke. So if Word, or any other program, could add a time stamp to each letter that would suffice.

Unfortunately my sister was unable to find any programs with such function, I suggested a keylogger but it seems most modern ones just create a log file with a time stamp but don't register (or show) time stamps for each keystroke.

My next step would be to contact a programmer and ask for either a Word Macro or a brand new program.

Cheers,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 06:11 AM
3 GigatronVolts/Pentasecond

Liked: 245
YGPM.

Click Here To Join TC || My HFMClubs Clubs Clubs (Click to show)And the obligatory quotes (Click to show)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradigm84 go_quote.gif

Thinking of changing the title to "The Hand Size and Beer Talk thread (rubber dome plebs stay out)." tongue.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnanasnoic go_quote.gif

*sniff* There's just... there's just this big empty hole... I don't know if I want to go on anymore... You had to be there, you just had to be there... *sniff* #Onmyspacetoilet
Quote:
Originally Posted by szeged go_quote.gif

i like to sneak my rig with two 7970 reference cards in it into the bedroom when my gf is sleeping and...

75 Million+ Folding at Home points  Foldathon Folder - 2013 Participant  BOINC Pentathlon Participant x2  Forum Folding War 2017 

post #5 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 08:26 AM

Liked: 170
Why not just take a python one , ala https://github.com/ajinabraham/Xenotix-Python-Keylogger/blob/master/xenotix_python_logger.py and modify it to keep timestamsps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thydevil go_quote.gif
AWESOME. Buy 1600 point card = $19.99. Buy two 800 point cards = $19.98
Save big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone153 go_quote.gif
Shhhh! Don't tell Microsoft. They might discover our secret.
>XXX
post #6 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Hello Ulquiorra,

Unfortunately python is not amongst my programming languages, but I'm more than willing to compensate whomever would be capable to modify the code to my specifications, I honestly just need the keystrokes and their time stamp as a OS keylogger or simply a macro on Word/Excel any other writing software.

Cheers and thank you all so much for your interest!
post #7 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 01:45 PM
733mhz

Liked: 48
Change line 226 in xenotix_python_logger.py from
Code:
data=data+keys
to
Code:
data=data + str(time.time()) + " " + keys +"\n"

or if you want the scancode which can capture things like shift and ctrl but you have to translate to actual characters
Code:
data=data + str(time.time()) + " " + str(event.ScanCode) +"\n"

It will then produce a file like:
Code:
1468524519.21 o
1468524519.29 v
1468524519.47 e
1468524519.83 r
1468524519.91 c
1468524519.98 l
1468524520.18 o
1468524523.03 c
1468524523.73 k

The number is the time in seconds. The machine will need python and a few libraries installed (see the top of the linked file for details)
Jupitel likes this.
post #8 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 02:09 PM

Liked: 170
What shamrock said tongue.gif

If you are having problems, drop a message back and i will make a 'cleaner' version for you smile.gif

And pffff compensation, what are we capitalists biggrin.gif drop a few pennies in a charity box .. or you know help some medical reaserch

Quote:
Originally Posted by thydevil go_quote.gif
AWESOME. Buy 1600 point card = $19.99. Buy two 800 point cards = $19.98
Save big.
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone153 go_quote.gif
Shhhh! Don't tell Microsoft. They might discover our secret.
>XXX
post #9 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter
333mhz

Wow! This is really great guys/gals, thank you so much.

I should probably mention that the people who will handle the study are not ITs or particularly tech savy, so any instructions on how to properly run the program for end-users would be a great help

I always thought good work should be paid but in any case know that you'll be sparing a huge amount of manual work and significantly speed up this research, I am really grateful.

Cheers!
post #10 of 13 Old 07-14-2016, 09:22 PM
733mhz

Liked: 48
Since they are not tech savvy, the potential for abuse for a simple to install keylogger is too high.

I wrote a very quick website that times how long each keystroke in a text box takes, and lets you download the results. The site can be copied locally for offline use, as there isn't any server side component. You can find it here: https://cloud.shamrockman.net/other/typing_timer/
Ulquiorra likes this.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page