post #21 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 06:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeUbi View Post
Family Discount Rewards Multiple-PC Households

To make it easier for households with multiple PCs to make the move to Windows Vista, Microsoft is launching a limited-time offer for customers who buy retail copies of Windows Vista Ultimate. From Jan. 30 through June 30, the Windows Vista Family Discount will allow North American customers to license two additional copies of Windows Vista Home Premium for use on other PCs in the home at the reduced price of $49.99 each.

Oh well, I knew I read that some where. Already expired

source:
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/p...OptionsPR.mspx

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 06:16 PM
Carcharodon Astra

Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedarklordjay View Post
oh sorry to be a pain in the ass but i need the 64bit edition correct?

Haveing used x64 Business since before its release, I can confirm that the drivers are definately up to a reasonable quality. The only x64 applications I run are Avast antivirus, mainly down to the fact that it uses drivers, which in turn must be x64 capable, and Far Cry x64 patch. As for x64 being any faster than x86 I can't really say for certain as I switched straight from XP Home to Vista x64 Business and although I noticed a considerable improvement in perfomance I cannot say for sure whether this was down to Vista itself or the x64 environment.

One thing I am certain of is that PatchGuard, a security implementation that disallows unsigned drivers from being applied to the kernel, is exclusive to all x64 versions of Vista only. In my opinion you shouldn't even consider x86 if you're making the switch to Vista. Although there aren't many x64 capable home applications at the moment, I feel you would still be better of with 64-bit. At the end of the day, you will at least have the flexibilty to run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications under x64 whilst with x86 you will be limited to 32-bit only. Couple those two points with the fact that you can use more than 4GB of RAM (up to 16GB for Premium and up to 128GB for Business and Ultimate) and the choice becomes a bit of a no-brainer.

1 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #23 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 06:24 PM

Liked: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ct1c47 View Post
Haveing used x64 Business since before its release, I can confirm that the drivers are definately up to a reasonable quality. The only x64 applications I run are Avast antivirus, mainly down to the fact that it uses drivers, which in turn must be x64 capable, and Far Cry x64 patch. As for x64 being any faster than x86 I can't really say for certain as I switched straight from XP Home to Vista x64 Business and although I noticed a considerable improvement in perfomance I cannot say for sure whether this was down to Vista itself or the x64 environment.

One thing I am certain of is that PatchGuard, a security implementation that disallows unsigned drivers from being applied to the kernel, is exclusive to all x64 versions of Vista only. In my opinion you shouldn't even consider x86 if you're making the switch to Vista. Although there aren't many x64 capable home applications at the moment, I feel you would still be better of with 64-bit. At the end of the day, you will at least have the flexibilty to run both 32-bit and 64-bit applications under x64 whilst with x86 you will be limited to 32-bit only. Couple those two points with the fact that you can use more than 4GB of RAM (up to 16GB for Premium and up to 128GB for Business and Ultimate) and the choice becomes a bit of a no-brainer.
I just installed the 64 version. There is some software that will not work with it. Here is a list
http://www.overclock.net/windows/133...atibility.html

I have not been able to load Mcafee (free comcast version), or a defrag program I formally used. Other than that, I have had no problems. I have had to download all the drivers though.

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 07:46 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 120
Get ultimate.
post #25 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 47
I would put xp on all of them...

but if you really want vista, get home premium or basic.... ultimate its the biggest waste of money

(and OEM copies)

I'm a former member of OCN's 20 Worst Computers
post #26 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 07:53 PM
Looking for a henway

Liked: 830
Just a note, Ultimate comes with both the 32 and 64 bit version, the others you have to pay like $10 to get the 64 bit (yea, even with the $10 added the Premium is cheaper).

Why I fold:

sad-smiley-002.gifLost: Father: Liver Cancer '08, Aunt: Ovarian Cancer '96, Aunt: Brain Cancer, '13, Grandmother: Bone Cancer '99,
thumb.gifWinning; Brother-in-Law: Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma - 11 yrs; Brother-in-Law: Pancreatic Cancer - 4 yrs; Mother-in-Law: Breast cancer - 22 years, Ureter Cancer 1 year!

Chimp Challenge Championship Team  Foldathon Folder - 2011 Participant  Migration_Sherpa  Chimp Challenge Participant X4  6 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #27 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 07:57 PM
3.5ghz

Liked: 47
all retail copies come with both 64&32 bit... with OEM you only get 64 OR 32

I'm a former member of OCN's 20 Worst Computers
post #28 of 35 Old 07-14-2007, 09:04 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 80
Darklord, quitcher *****ing. I personally got much BETTER framerates in Vista, especially with my new card. Vista doesn't have problems. You do...by now it's mostly just OSS advocates trying to shade Vista in a bad light. When getting a new computer, it's the better choice.

Ultimate is a bit worthless IMO. On a daily basis, the things I do don't really relate to Microsoft software itself...it's all about support for the base operating system. Home Premium should have everything needed.
Doesn't one edition not have DX10?

I am a Microsoft apologist, machinima animator, anima machinimator, machinima apologist.
post #29 of 35 Old 07-15-2007, 07:34 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 118
Quote:
Originally Posted by SZayat View Post
I don't advice you to install Windows Vista if you are a gamer. Get Windows XP Home instead.

FYI XP vs. Vista - A Tale of Framerates

Anyhoo, If you set up your mind get Vista Premium OEM edition

Cheers
THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE...as soon as DX10 games come out, you will be kicking yourself if you bought XP at this point in the game

Quote:
Originally Posted by t4ct1c47
No need to break out fancy chemicals when you have bodily fluids.

Chimp Challenge Participant  7 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #30 of 35 Old 07-15-2007, 07:37 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by bruestle2 View Post
THINK ABOUT THE FUTURE...as soon as DX10 games come out, you will be kicking yourself if you bought XP at this point in the game
Yeah, that would be a huge mistake to buy XP. M$ are going to faze out Xp as fast as they can. Vista would be a wise choice. It is a great OS. Soon to be faster than Xp. It is already on par with it.

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page