Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 03-01-2008, 10:11 AM - Thread Starter
Networking Nut

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Well, yesterday.

I put Linux on a flash drive, and then i rebooted, and set it as 1st boot device

restarted pc, it did all that stuff.

then it gets to the Backup CMOS....

and it doesn't work, i've had it happen before, so i usually just restart, set hard drive as boot device, and go back into windows.

Well this time, i rebooted set it to hard drive, restarted, then it said

"error loading operating system"

So, I'm freaking out, I rebooted, same thing.
this error has shown up before, and the solution was to format, and reinstall windows. No big problem.

First I loaded up the Windows CD, then repaired the windows install, rebooted, same error

I loaded up Ubuntu, and tried to see if i could access the partition, which i could. I backed up my stuff through ubuntu onto my external. After this i rebooted, loaded up windows cd, delete the windows partition, and set up another, I formatted it, then it did it's copy thing. After that was done, i rebooted, and hoped for the best....same error.

So, I googled the error, and got some hits about formatting and reinstalling, i did that, it did nothing. After this i loaded up ubuntu again, I wanted to see if the hard drive failed, to test this, I tried installing Ubuntu....success, I rebooted, and took the live CD outta the drive, and set hard drive as boot device, ubuntu loaded up fine, no problem.

This rules out the hard drive going bad right?

So after that, i loaded up windows cd again, formatted ubuntu partitions, and did The Long Format, and let it do the copy thing. I rebooted, and got the same error....

Can anyone help me? It only happens with Windows.

Sorry for the long explanation, but i wanted to include everything that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1ForFrags go_quote.gif
Canada has to spend almost nothing on military defense because they're America's hat.

Nobody F's with America or our hat. Nobody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-01-2008, 10:53 AM
*cough* Stock *cough*

Liked: 120
Maybe there is something wrong with your Windows CD? It sounds unlikely, but it was the first thing that came to mind. Also, if you have a different hard drive laying around, why not plug it in and give it a shot?
-Inferno likes this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangelabove go_quote.gif
Amazing.
We are all capable of being amazing.
That sounds like I just read a poem book about trees and flowers and the sun. Amazing.
Capability to be amazing.
It almost makes you feel like your in a musical, and everything is fine and dandy, and you're the star.
And then that's when I woke up in my desk cubicle looking out the window. How lame.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-01-2008, 11:12 AM - Thread Starter
Networking Nut

Liked: 82
i don't think it's my cd.
but it could be

I don't have extra hard drive laying around =(

I think i might need to update the BIOS, I'm not sure how tho.

FIXED: Changed Hard Drive to LBA not sure what it does, but i read it online somewhere

thanks for the help ne way +REP

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1ForFrags go_quote.gif
Canada has to spend almost nothing on military defense because they're America's hat.

Nobody F's with America or our hat. Nobody.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-01-2008, 11:25 AM
The Big Red Machine

Liked: 586
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Inferno View Post
i don't think it's my cd.
but it could be

I don't have extra hard drive laying around =(

I think i might need to update the BIOS, I'm not sure how tho.
Quick comment: I'm not sure what BIOS flashing will fix in your case.

Quick question: Is the system overclocked while you're doing the OS installation? Even with a stable OC, you're taking a chance with the OS installation, in my opinion.

I don't think it's a problem with the Windows CD, unless yours is horribly scratched and damaged and your optical drive cannot read certain critical files.

The main suspect is the HDD. The Windows installation typically goes to a certain portion of the HDD (the outermost part of the platter, for optimal speed), but if that part of the HDD has got damaged sectors, then that may account for the installation problem. I know that you said Ubuntu installed fine, but that may have not installed its files in the same portions of the HDD as Windows would.

The only other thing that could be checked is the RAM. But this is more remote of a possibility compared to the HDD in your case.

Hopefully someone more expert can come up with a sure fix for you.

Good luck.

post-flame-small.gifThe Spirit of OCN: To give is far better than to receive.post-flame-small.gifThe best advice to follow: Read your product's user's manual.post-flame-small.gif

Give a man a fish; you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime.”—Lao Tzu (thanks to Blitz6804)

Today's "thlnk3r's thoughts": "You may fire when ready."

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page