Vista, worth it? - Page 6 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #51 of 56 Old 03-03-2008, 10:56 AM
4.0ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 189
put it this way.. if i could afford it, and didnt have my computer already set up to perfection in XP pro with a vista theme cover then I would buy it. But for now, all it is to me is a more sexy layout and DX10. Neither are worth the money right now. I'm poor though.. I'd buy it anyway if i could.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #52 of 56 Old 03-03-2008, 02:41 PM - Thread Starter
1.7ghz

Liked: 5
Well, I read stuff about the dual monitor support of Vista. What's the difference between dual monitor and dual view?
post #53 of 56 Old 03-04-2008, 05:19 AM
4.0ghz

Liked: 189
XP has dual monitor support. I'm using it right now.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #54 of 56 Old 03-04-2008, 12:05 PM
Multi-Quote King

Liked: 845
Is it worth buying? Probably not for most people who already have XP. But if you want it, it's good if you meet these following requirements:

1. 2GB at the minimum (1GB is pushing it, and 512MB will put you in hell)
2. Dual-core CPU
3. Have money ready

So as long as you're willing to put out the money and you've got a computer less than a year old, you will probably like vista. Most compatibility issues with software and hardware have been sorted out by now (although some have been introduced with SP1, eg Autodesk Inventor for us, the engineers )

"I just talk the way I see things... If that's offensive to you... I'm sorry; you're a loser." - Michael Savage

"But you would be amazed by how many people think that the only reason to have a computer is to play games, and that playing games is all that anyone with a computer does." - dangerousHobo
post #55 of 56 Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter
1.7ghz

Liked: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellisforheroes View Post
XP has dual monitor support. I'm using it right now.
lol, But what is it..

And thanks to that other guy that commented after you.
post #56 of 56 Old 03-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Overclock.net OG

Liked: 278
Quote:
Originally Posted by billbartuska View Post
Well, if you want to know all the stuff that's good/bad about Vista, I'd probably have to post 5-10% of the whole internet here.

In a nutshell:
Drivers: If you look for, and find, the drivers you'll need, before you buy Vista, you won't have any problems not being able to find drivers after you install Vista.

Software: If you look for, and find, the software you'll need, before you buy Vista, you won't have any problems not being able to find your software after you install Vista.

The Vista Upgrade Advisor will help with the above:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pro...deadvisor.mspx

Vista is a little slower than XP, but it also has a lot of features that XP doesn't.

Vista uses more memory than XP: When you look at memory usage in Vista, it's huge, but that really doesn't tell the whole story. Vista mostly uses this extra memory to preload stuff it thinks you are going to need. It will release this memory as soon as it's needed by something else though.

Other than those major points, the user interface is different and takes some time to get used to, just like Windows 3.1, Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows XP did.

The thing that turns off most people is the added security "features" in Vista. They can be maddening at times. Such as "Why do I have to give myself permission to look at a file I saved just 10 minutes ago?". All that security stuf can be manages and set up as you want it. It just takes time and effort, as with learning anything new.

My advice is to dual boot Vista and whatever you are using now. That way yoy can have something comfortable, and familiar while you master the intricacies of Vista.
The best most unbiased post about Vista I have seen yet! Bravo!

:appl aud:: applaud:

Blah

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page