Vista sucks. I switched back to XP. - Page 8 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #71 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 12:34 PM
3.5ghz

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 36
ill go back to 2000 still, hell ill use 98, doesnt matter to me, i tried vista as well there was nothing wrong with it, but then again theres nothing wrong with an os that fits on your floppy so..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #72 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
1.3ghz

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPIJG View Post
I could understand that IF any of these components showed any signs of an issue in XP, I can run them overclocked in XP running Prime95 V26 for ours without issue, I can run memtest until my eyes turn purple, I get NO ERRORS, then mysteriously they are going to develop some undetectable error in Vista? The HDD's have been benched and I'm getting the same RAID 0 transfer rates as always. I just don't think that Vista is quite to the same level of stable yet as XP, but hey XP is definitely more mature.
I don't believe your overclock should have anything to do with the OS unless its unstable. I think vista is pretty smooth when you have the right hardware but for some it just wont play nice. My vista ran like crap for a long time but i finally figured out that it was my sound blaster live 24-bit was the problem (which was crazy) But I don't really know what to tell you if did you try it without any excess pci cards or anything?
post #73 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 12:38 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 150
it crashed in safe mode, maybe I just got a bad vista, I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that there is any one thing in my setup that would cause any issues that couldn't be exploited and made worse by overclocking them. I don't know. I was just indicating that besides all of the obvious niceties and somewhat increased performance, Vista is still not a sure thing.

Air Cooled Rampage Formula Results
24,140 in 3D06 P16,463 in 3DV H10,992 in 3DV 4.2GHz Quad w00t!! proof.gif

"And Shepherds we shall be for thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri et Filii Spiritus Sancti."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #74 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 12:44 PM
1.3ghz

Quote:
it crashed in safe mode, maybe I just got a bad vista, I don't know. I just find it hard to believe that there is any one thing in my setup that would cause any issues that couldn't be exploited and made worse by overclocking them. I don't know. I was just indicating that besides all of the obvious niceties and somewhat increased performance, Vista is still not a sure thing.
ya thats why I dual boot because I know for sure the hardware will be supported on XP but The way I see it is that vista is still in the beta stage haha
post #75 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 12:52 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 28
What you people have to realise is Vista is going to be MUCH better than XP when Vista SP1/2 arrive, have fun using 2001 Software.

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait smile.gif
Gr33n Machine?
post #76 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 12:55 PM
1.3ghz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GigaByte324 View Post
What you people have to realise is Vista is going to be MUCH better than XP when the service packs arrive, have fun using 2001 Software.
exactly what you have to realize is what you just stated until the service packs come out the 2001 software is better haha
post #77 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
Freeze It

Liked: 582
Quote:
Originally Posted by SentryOptic View Post
Oh god, yes. Another "XPpwnsVISTA" thread.

Alright, the title is misleading. What I really mean by that is that for my purposes, Vista just doesn't work.

I've been waiting for quite a while to dual-boot XP and Vista so I could have the awesome, slick interface of Vista while simultaneously getting the low RAM usage and stuff of XP. Unfortunately, I definitely did not read into this closely enough. Very quickly, I managed to screw up my entire Vista partition. I was angry about that, but I guess in the long run it was for the best. Now I have XP back. The first thing I did was throw in Crysis and hug every frame rate I regained.

Glad to have my performance back!

EDIT: Another reason I went with the XP installation over Vista was due to XP's dual monitor support. I have 2 19" screens, and Vista only supported "Dual View". Which I loathe. Either way, now I have my horizontal span back. I like it.

Well running a similer setup for a while I used my ip35pro, 3220 (same as Q6600), 2 gigs crucial and vista 64b and it worked jsut fine in most everything. It was stretching it but I could play cod4 jsut fine and everything else worked great. Crysis was the only thing that really got jolty and didnt wanna play nice. THat was resolved with 2 more gigs of ram.

Quote:
Thats really odd. If you have a stable oc then you should be fine. I know that vista tends to be more resilient to getting borked then XP. Once you laod XP with unstable ram you usually end up having to reformat.

I dont know if you stated but did you try the 64bit version. Also your disk doesnt have any scratches on it does it (dont know if that would screw it up).

E6400@3856E4300@4158E6600@4510,Opti148@3102,opti170@2918,UD3P&9550@4692
UD3P&84005304,UD3p&85005567

4 Million+ Folding at Home points 

post #78 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 01:01 PM
1.7ghz

Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1MP1NJ View Post
exactly what you have to realize is what you just stated until the service packs come out the 2001 software is better haha
I've had XP on this machine also, and Vista performed well faster.

Good Things Come To Those Who Wait smile.gif
Gr33n Machine?
post #79 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 01:05 PM
1.3ghz

then why wait for the service packs make it better?
post #80 of 125 Old 03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 150
It was just 32bit atm, and the disc seemed ok, it was very strange, I know it wasn't the overclock, as A) the overclock is stable in XP, and B) it wasn't overclocked at all when running Vista. I'm not giving up entirely on it, from using it for a little while it looks really nice, and the Dreamscene backgrounds look AWESOME on my flat panel in the living room, problem was having it run for more than 20 minutes without locking up and crashing. I'll wait until SP1 comes out and then try it again.

Air Cooled Rampage Formula Results
24,140 in 3D06 P16,463 in 3DV H10,992 in 3DV 4.2GHz Quad w00t!! proof.gif

"And Shepherds we shall be for thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand Our feet may swiftly carry out Thy commands. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee And teeming with souls shall it ever be. In Nomeni Patri et Filii Spiritus Sancti."
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page