XP to Vista - Page 2 - Overclock.net

Forum Jump: 

post #11 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 07:34 PM
"Senior member"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 552
What you can do to avoid having to lose XP/reformat is to dual boot XP/Vista by creating a new partition. A partition is the formatting of the hard drive so that windows knows how much space, where files are, etc. Creating two partitions would be the same to windows as two hard drives.

What you will need is a program called BootItNG.

It costs $35 for the full program, but you dont need what you have to pay for so you can use the trial.
What this is, is a disk managment program that you burn onto a disk and boot from. It has lots of tools and it perfect for what you need.

From that site, you'll get a zip file. Extract that zip and run "makedisk.exe" with a blank CD-R in your disk drive. This might take a while, and you wont use any of the other files in that zip once the disk is done burning.
When it completes restart and boot from the CD. It will prompt you asking if you want to install, push no and precede to the disk manager environment.
Click on disk manager and take a moment to look at everything. Click on your hard drive and then "resize", this will take the free space on your current partition and detatch however much you want.
With your hard drive i would recommend cutting XP off at around 90GB and alloting the rest to vista.
Once you click "ok" or whatever it will begin realloting free space, this takes a while so go do something productive

When it's done go back to the disk manager and click "new partition". Create it as big as you have free space and you will see two partitions in the disk manager window.

Now you have two partitons and you're ready to install vista.

click exit on the "desktop" of bootit and pop in the Vista DVD when it reboots.

When it comes up go through all the windows and stuff and select "custom" as your install choice. Click on the partition as big as your free space allowed and let 'er go.

Vista will create a boot manager for you and it will display a list between "previous version of windows" and "windows vista" before booting for 30seconds.

You can tweak this boot menu with a program called VistaBootPRO

Hope i expained everything

Good luck
~Higgins

EDIT: selecting upgrade kills XP. It saves the windows directory/documents and settings folder but you cannot use it again.
Choggs396 and Chadh92 like this.

| Steam : MistaHiggins |
Currently Playing: Soma
Respect PC developers. Fight piracy.
Libertas, numquam ex more.

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 07:52 PM - Thread Starter
1.3ghz

Liked: 12
Wow Higgins, thanks for all the help! I'll make sure I follow that guide perfectly! Thank you so much!

post #13 of 13 Old 04-19-2008, 11:59 PM
4.0ghz

Liked: 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgins View Post
What you can do to avoid having to lose XP/reformat is to dual boot XP/Vista by creating a new partition. A partition is the formatting of the hard drive so that windows knows how much space, where files are, etc. Creating two partitions would be the same to windows as two hard drives.

What you will need is a program called BootItNG.

It costs $35 for the full program, but you dont need what you have to pay for so you can use the trial.
What this is, is a disk managment program that you burn onto a disk and boot from. It has lots of tools and it perfect for what you need.

From that site, you'll get a zip file. Extract that zip and run "makedisk.exe" with a blank CD-R in your disk drive. This might take a while, and you wont use any of the other files in that zip once the disk is done burning.
When it completes restart and boot from the CD. It will prompt you asking if you want to install, push no and precede to the disk manager environment.
Click on disk manager and take a moment to look at everything. Click on your hard drive and then "resize", this will take the free space on your current partition and detatch however much you want.
With your hard drive i would recommend cutting XP off at around 90GB and alloting the rest to vista.
Once you click "ok" or whatever it will begin realloting free space, this takes a while so go do something productive

When it's done go back to the disk manager and click "new partition". Create it as big as you have free space and you will see two partitions in the disk manager window.

Now you have two partitons and you're ready to install vista.

click exit on the "desktop" of bootit and pop in the Vista DVD when it reboots.

When it comes up go through all the windows and stuff and select "custom" as your install choice. Click on the partition as big as your free space allowed and let 'er go.

Vista will create a boot manager for you and it will display a list between "previous version of windows" and "windows vista" before booting for 30seconds.

You can tweak this boot menu with a program called VistaBootPRO

Hope i expained everything

Good luck
~Higgins

EDIT: selecting upgrade kills XP. It saves the windows directory/documents and settings folder but you cannot use it again.
Instead of downloading this trialware app, you can use the GParted live CD. Defrag before using it to move data to the front of the drive and allow for a bigger second partition.

http://gparted.sourceforge.net/livecd.php

And beware of some wireless chipsets on Vista. Mine isn't supported in Vista, and is in Linux. Strange eh? (Netgear WAG311)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ide@logical go_quote.gif
Wicked! Omega hit it on the money. This is not console. Honestly there is no need to worry. C2 will have amazing gfx on the PC. If I am wrong I promise OCN that I will film myself eating my shoe and upload it to youtube.
I did Latty's Linux Challenge and I now still use Linux! rolleyes.gif

Chimp Challenge Participant 

Quick Reply

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page