Overclock.net banner

Never OC'd a card before..

344 views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  goobergump 
#1 ·
I was thinking that i will be upgrading my gpu soon and i will probably just ebay my gtx 285.

in the mean time i was thinking of giving it a bit more power with a small OC.
I hear EVGA precision tool is a good program and i have only used it to increase my fan speeds.

Any advice before i change the core clocks and fry my gpu

See less See more
#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Apocalypse-;13285970
Msi Afterburner > EVGA Precision.

Only time I'd recommend not using afterburner is when it isn't compatible with your card (ie non-reference non-msi cards).

Just go slow. Don't aim for the stars to start.
My non-reference non-MSI card supports Afterburner, including voltage...
confused.gif

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concorde105;13286118
My non-reference non-MSI card supports Afterburner, including voltage...
confused.gif
It's a reference PCB, That's what I meant. Cards like the Asus DCII, Gainward Phantom, Palit Sonic, Gigabyte Ultra Durable, ect are not supported by Afterburner. The only non-reference PCBs supported by afterburner are MSI-designed.

#10 ·
Most people have covered all the necessities already, especially about overvolting. Do bit by bit and test for stability, but honestly if you're doing like a 3% overclock it shouldn't be a problem.

On another note, when you upgrade you should keep your old one for physx/folding. Unless you're strapped for cash I completely understand and it's not my place, but just throwing out a suggestion, good luck!
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.