Overclock.net banner

Right MOBO for i5 2500k

592 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  ERDesertFox 
#1 ·
SO long story short...I'm a gamer, i dont do much else on my computer and I did my homework up to this point.

I know I want/need a i5 2500k, but the dilemma is what MOBO TO GET?!?

I'm in the process of upgrading my current rig and I'm down the figuring out the LAST 2 items. 1)motherboard 2)RAM

I have the following new items already:
-HAF 932 advanced
-Thermaltake 1000m psu
-ASUS DirectCU II GTX 580 x2 (SLI)

I know what cpu I want, I just have to go get it.

I cannot for the life of me find a MB that seems right for me or the rig I want to build nor do I know what RAM to get(other than getting as much as possible to put in)

I highlighted the GPU cuz well....I for one need a MB that can fit those 2 onto the board for SLI cuz they are BIG....I would like at least 1 extra slot to be open and available for use for w/e but wont be 3xSLI. This is my biggest requirement in the board; the second thing....money....well, I dont think I have an option of being too picky but nothing $350 or above. A small item, if the MB could have more than just 2-3 fan plugs on it. I want to be able to control more fans than 2-3 (BUT this is only a small thing, thought maybe it would save me from having to get a third party item like a fan controller, if I'm better off with that, then let me know)

Anyone have suggestions as to what I need or should get to support what I have going already?

See less See more
#2 ·
1 vote for the Gigabyte P67A UD5.
Love mine. Onboard clear CMOS, power, reset buttons, use bios f3g beta, copy the main bios to the backup by holding down alt f12 as soon as post starts, and you're good to go. F3 final has some iffy vcore regulation.

#3 ·
#6 ·
First off, you will need a fan controller if you want to "control" fans. All the onboard headers on boards are 3 pin, except the CPU which is 4 pin. Only 4 pins have PWM support so when you plug your additional fans in they will just run at full speed, and you will not be able to control them.

For motherboard, Biostar TP67XE would be my first choice. But, if you run two triple slot cards like the Asus 580s, you will be left with 0 expansion slots so you can't use a sound card or any other devices. Second choice would be the Asrock p67 Extreme4. It's cheap, has a good expansion layout, and actually doesn't suck. Asrock boards are making a great turnaround. You get all the quality found in other boards but at a more reasonable price.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopamin3;13288736
First off, you will need a fan controller if you want to "control" fans. All the onboard headers on boards are 3 pin, except the CPU which is 4 pin. Only 4 pins have PWM support so when you plug your additional fans in they will just run at full speed, and you will not be able to control them.

For motherboard, Biostar TP67XE would be my first choice. But, if you run two triple slot cards like the Asus 580s, you will be left with 0 expansion slots so you can't use a sound card or any other devices. Second choice would be the Asrock p67 Extreme4. It's cheap, has a good expansion layout, and actually doesn't suck. Asrock boards are making a great turnaround. You get all the quality found in other boards but at a more reasonable price.
I know this, with the 3-pin connector deal. But with my current MB for example through ASUS PC Probe I can control the fan speeds with software rather than hardware. Doin it either way is fine by me, I was just asking IF there was a board that had many 3-pin (more than 3) headers that would be a plus

#8 ·
Thank you everyone for your input. This helped me out a ton. Having the choices narrowed down....I think I will choose the ASUS P8P67 Pro over the Gigabyte(or others)....Big reason was pricing. 2nd was looking at some of the other little features/layout/etc...this one seems more friendly to space looking at the heatsink sizes on each board and the asus pro has more SATA 6Gb/s ports.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.