Overclock.net banner

Lian Li Case causing shorts/shutdowns?

541 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  suitaroh 
#1 ·
I'm relatively new to building computers, and have been looking at case reviews. My favorite case so far is the Lian Li PC-X900. Everyone rates the Lian Li PC-900X very highly, but one review had this to say:

------------------------------------------------
I ran into a number of issues when building this machine, the biggest one was an electrical short caused by the stock screws and power supply mount. This was remedied by removing the removable power supply bracket that came with the case, this bracket was used to make the power supply mounting tool less.

The other culprit of the electrical short circuiting was the thumb screws that came included with the case to mount the motherboard to the standoffs. When you mount the motherboard with the thumbscrews it causes random losses of power which will cause system restarts every few minutes without any major blue screen errors leaving you scratching your head. The fix for this was to replace the stock screws with standard computer mounting screws.

http://www.techwarelabs.com/lian-li-...casechassis/2/

-------------------------------------------------

No one else mentioned this issue in their reviews, and I was hoping someone else could explain what he means. Is this a true cause for concern, or did this reviewer just make some errors while preparing the build? Would the type of power supply and motherboard be a factor? How could thumb screws cause a short? I've only built two computers, so I'm not very adept at this. It seems strange that a company as venerable as Lian Li would have TWO issues in their case design causing shorts and random power loss.

Is this reason enough to avoid this chassis? Or would nylon mounting screws do the trick?

Thanks!

See less See more
#2 ·
Have had this case for over a year with no issues. I didn't use the included motherboard screws though, I used "regular" black ones.

The power supply bracket doesn't even go close to the motherboard edge so I don't know what they're talking about there. I don't use that bracket anyways so I can use the hole in the motherboard tray for cable routing.

#4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by suitaroh
View Post

Uh, that's just weird. Not had that happen with the Lian Li I have and it uses both the bracket and thumbscrews. He's probably just making up an excuse for a broken part/his incompetence. The thumbscrews are awesome, I'm thinking of buying some to use with my sig rig. No reason to avoid the case at all

A friend mentioned that I should simply wrap the mounting bracket in black electrical tape, and use the mounting screws that will come with my gigabyte MOBO.

So the motherboard coming into contact with the bracket would be the cause of the shorts? I'm trying to visualize this case.

But how would mounting thumbscrews cause random powerdowns?

This case is simply stunning in the YouTube vids. Very hard to pass on it.

#5 ·
You could wrap the bracket in electrical tape if you want. Mine has foam pads on it so i doesn't scratch the psu, not sure about the X900, and that probably keeps metal to metal contact from happening and thus no shorts. And the mobo should really touch the psu anyway. No idea how the thumbscrews would cause power down, unless he tried to use them without standoffs which happens quite often actually.

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by suitaroh
View Post

You could wrap the bracket in electrical tape if you want. Mine has foam pads on it so i doesn't scratch the psu, not sure about the X900, and that probably keeps metal to metal contact from happening and thus no shorts. And the mobo should really touch the psu anyway. No idea how the thumbscrews would cause power down, unless he tried to use them without standoffs which happens quite often actually.

Standoffs? (Sorry, I am very new to this)

You are referring to these?

Amazon.com: StarTech.com STANDOFF632 632 Brass Standoffs (15 Pack): Electronics Amazon.com: StarTech.com STANDOFF632 632 Brass Standoffs (15 Pack): Electronics

It has been a few years since I've built a computer, but don't these go behind the motherboard? And aren't they included with the motherboard? I'm seeing them in brass, aluminum and plastic. Any preference in which material to use?

I can't believe I'm about to spend $400 on a computer case. My lasts chassis was a Gigabyte Aurora 3D, and I thought THAT was expensive at $179. But I figured this case is an investment, just like my Aurora was. Unfortunately, video cards became too long for her.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.