Overclock.net banner

Needs help with soundcard choice

435 views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  turbocharged 
#1 ·
#2 ·
Do you play bf: BC2? If so, you should get a sound blaster titanium because the positional audio is horrible on the DX cards.

Also, what headset/headphones/speakers do you have?

Edit: Either way I guess I would choose the D2X because of the extra features the card has. D2X includes DTS Connect and Dolby Digital Live. The DX has only Dolby Digital Live.

#3 ·
as above actually non is good for your needs (espically the D2X)

you have to get an X-Fi card , maybe the X-Fi Titanium or the Titanium HD

Xonars are meant for people who uses their PC for 60-80% for music and movies

#6 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Riskitall84
View Post

Ok thanks for the help guys - It will be 60% Music and 40% Gaming

Im more interested in sound quality for my music than gaming so would you still say get an X-Fi?

In this case the Xonars are better, BUT they have bad peformance ONLY in BC2 so if you dont play that game then a Xonar DX will serve you well , or you have to stay with X-Fi

And IMO forget about the D2X , get this card if you do 90% or above Music

#7 ·
D2X FTW!!! I loved this card when I had the opportunity to use it (friend has one). All this nonsense about directional sound being bad is bull too. Was fine for me. It also just made music... better :3.

#8 ·
I just grabbed a Xonar DX after dealing with crap Creative 64 bit drivers I must say it is very refreshing experience.

These drivers are rock solid

This card requires external power, keeep that in mind, the playback sound that this card produces is phemnominal for the price they are asking for it.

The only ***** in the armor I have found with it it does not have auto detection for your head set .....

Other than that the DX is a slam dunk IMHO

best of luck

#10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by UsedPaperclip
View Post

My vote goes for the titanium. Dont get the HD, it might be the best, but its not worth the extra $100 over this Refurbished Titanium.

Amazon.com: Refurbished Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI Express Sound Card: Electronics

What is it that makes the HD's better? Is it mainly just the output interface and the SNR (122dB vs. 109dB)?

If you had to put a number on it, at what price point for the non-HD's would you say screw it and say the extra price is worth the HD's?

$50 is hard to refuse for the titaniums. I'm pretty much ready to order that refurbished card, but don't want to sacrifice much in terms of quality/performance.

#11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by turbocharged
View Post

What is it that makes the HD's better? Is it mainly just the output interface and the SNR (122dB vs. 109dB)?

If you had to put a number on it, at what price point for the non-HD's would you say screw it and say the extra price is worth the HD's?

$50 is hard to refuse for the titaniums. I'm pretty much ready to order that refurbished card, but don't want to sacrifice much in terms of quality/performance.

The HD has considerably better sound quality in music/games (as you mention, SNR is significantly higher), and more importantly the drivers are solid and stable in 64b W7. It's not so much which price you can get the Titanium at, it's "can you afford the HD?". If you can, I would drop the extra money on the HD.

#12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narzon;14305976
The HD has considerably better sound quality in music/games (as you mention, SNR is significantly higher), and more importantly the drivers are solid and stable in 64b W7. It's not so much which price you can get the Titanium at, it's "can you afford the HD?". If you can, I would drop the extra money on the HD.
HD it is then...just might have to wait a few weeks to get it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.