Overclock.net banner

I totally screwed up my new CPU (Maybe)

3K views 89 replies 38 participants last post by  SpammisT 
#1 ·
There is a combination of steps in-which I have majorly messed up.

An hour before my more severe idiotic actions I dropped the new CPU and bent some pins, none broken though. I spent the next half hour correcting and then ensuring they were corrected enough that I could attach it to its corresponding location on what would be the motherboard it would be located on without breaking the pins. No pins were broken, thank goodness.

I idiotically then decided to install the new CPU & heat-sink without any thermal grease or material to transfer heat from the CPU to the heat-sink. I then proceeded to connect any / all unplugged necessary wiring inside / to the tower, and started it up. It powered on, and nothing functioned as it should. The CPU fan was off. The back fan that plugs into the motherboard (Not the power supply fan)(The power supply was working fine and the fan was running as well) was running to my remembering of the event. The tower just powered on, and that was it. I totally screwed up.

I then take the CPU and heat-sink out after cutting power from the power strip I had the tower and monitor plugged into.
I have noticed that there is material between the pins, dirt and stuff. Just wait, this gets worse.

I then finally get the thermal grease, apply it correctly during installation of the CPU and heat-sink, and the tower still does not function.

Now can someone please tell me if I have burned out the CPU or if its just dirty space between pins. I really need some advice on this.

See less See more
#3 ·
well you DIDNT burn it out.

#5 ·
well depending on the grease it could short out..

what cpu? what board?

i would try... ehhh. cleaning it.. but..

perhaps somone has a better idea to get thermal grease out of the pins...

#6 ·
If you only got a few pins dirty with paste I don't think you have anything to worry about. I ran a 4600+ for a while with a few dirty pins. I don't think that is the source of your problems.

Did you get thermal paste on the pins or in the socket itself?

#7 ·
I don't know the much information about the board that would certainly pertain to this except the socket. AM2 Socket.

I was installing an AMD Athlon II x4 adx620wfk42gi CPU.

EDIT: It was on the pins Dala.

EDIT EDIT: I think I found the motherboard model number. I dunno. MS-7283 VER 1.0.

#9 ·
The thermal grease ended up on the pins probably because of where I was storing my extra CPUs. I am fairly new to this and I ended up putting them in probably the worst possible place. A ziplock bag, stacked atop one another, with just about everyone one still partly coated (On the metal caps) with thermal grease. I don't know what I was thinking.

#11 ·
What kind of thermal grease have you been using? Artic Silver? Anyways get some 90% rubbing alcohol and get as much of it out as you can.Try again after you clean it up.If not you may be able to RMA them.

#15 ·
wth.gif
Crazy story ... hope it works out for you, bro.

Did you clean pins/socket already?

#17 ·
I am already going to a store later to purchase Isopropyl Alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the pins (I am following another guide for this).

I dunno, I consider dead parts acceptable loses because I have a lot of dead in the water towers that suffered a variety of failures, presenting me with still functioning spare parts that are left over.

EDIT: It was only recently that I decided to start looking into actual computer modding and building faster systems instead of just purchasing new towers.

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draton;14645740
I am already going to a store later to purchase Isopropyl Alcohol and a toothbrush to clean the pins (I am following another guide for this).

I dunno, I consider dead parts acceptable loses because I have a lot of dead in the water towers that suffered a variety of failures, presenting me with still functioning spare parts that are left over.

EDIT: It was only recently that I decided to start looking into actual computer modding and building faster systems instead of just purchasing new towers.
Let us know how it goes.

#20 ·
My mom left without me apparently, as I was typing my replies to this. I have no vehicle at which I can travel to a store that is about a couple miles away.

I am going to be here waiting for her to return with what I asked for, and I might not even get that considering last time I asked her for foam blocks and she purchased me anti-bacterial sponges or whatever instead.

#21 ·
#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Draton;14645643
The thermal grease ended up on the pins probably because of where I was storing my extra CPUs. I am fairly new to this and I ended up putting them in probably the worst possible place. A ziplock bag, stacked atop one another, with just about everyone one still partly coated (On the metal caps) with thermal grease. I don't know what I was thinking.
For sure a troll.

So what is the next thing that you will do stupidly?

#26 ·
Alright guys.. let's just toss the troll part aside, use both halves of your brain.

If he definitely did turn the CPU on without paste, then it would've overheated, turned off if the board detects high temperatures. Obvious right? Then of course it wouldn't turn back on, why would it? Just sit there and burn some more?

But I'm gonna have to shoot for the socket being burnt out.. anyone else?
If not, then troll has caught your attention, mine as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.