Overclock.net banner

Thermal Paste Question (Shinetsu)

2K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Spacedinvader 
#1 ·
So I got a tube of the ShinEtsu (red cap) and FINALLY got my PC booted up to find my temps at 59C idle. This has been by far one of the most difficult builds I have ever done and cannot get a break ANYWHERE.

I set the tube of TIM in some how water for a while before I spread it and I also filled all the micro gaps before applying. I made a nice thin strip right down the middle of the CPU and made sure the layer was as thin as possible. Not a single one of our computer stores sells an even half decent TIM and I am at wits end with this build.
Anyone use this garbage TIM and have this issue or anyone have a suggest before I stomp on all my new parts?

#4 ·
I just double checked every screw and everything is tight as can be. I have done a TON of builds and this one is definitely the first I have ever had this issue with.

also, i read about the dot in the middle but it also stated "make a line approx 1mm wide" and shows a little line down the middle of the CPU. I basically did that method
(http://www.arcticsilver.com/pdf/appmeth/int/vl/intel_app_method_vertical_line_v1.1.pdf)

#5 ·
after speaking with some people over at swiftech I found out I had to remove the spacers that came with the waterblock screws. This makes a night/day difference since now i am actually contacting the CPU, but my temps are still 44C IDLE in BIOS (yea, i know it supposedly reads higher in the bios, but thats still too high for water)

Since I cannot use the stand-offs, placing the block is so much harder now. I know the block turned a bit when I set it this time , but there was no lifting. Could that slight turn have compromised the TIM this second time around?

#6 ·
#7 ·
Is it possible that this mounting bracket on the back is causing the higher temps? I notice that most are open-back for the 1155. When shooing my temp gauge at the back plate when fully loaded the highest temp I can find is only 91F. It also is not fully covering that hole so....

[/URL] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

#11 ·
i didn't... why don't you find out what it is.. :
thinking.gif
: also..bios screenshots are nice..bios info will do...btw ..i got some cheap shin-etsu stuff about a week ago..it was VERY thick..but it's the best TIM i've ever used..you really should fill out your system completely as well..just sayin'

#12 ·
under load i was topping out at 1.368V when at 4.4ghz so my V is fine. also, my specs are the same as my previous rig, just with the stuff added that i have shown now.
this is def a thermal issue at the cpu level whether it be me not doing the paste correctly or something else. im gonna tear it down again and see what my paste spread looks like this time.

#13 ·
Things to keep in mind:
-Shin Etsu is actually a really good thermal paste.
-Make sure you have enough thermal paste too. If you don't have enough, the CPU wont be making enough contact with the block.
-You're using lot of volts... 1.36 is quite alot. My 3.8GHz OC only requires 1.21V. That could be a reason why you have high temps.
-Clamp evenly so that the paste is distributed evenly.

EDIT: I actually dont see anything wrong with your temps. Idle temps mean nothing in water cooling. It just reflects your ambient temperature in your room.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

...btw ..i got some cheap shin-etsu stuff about a week ago..it was VERY thick..
Curious as to which product variation you purchased as I am having difficulties finding availability without being fleeced for Shipping.

Found a Hong Kong guy selling SE X23-7783D in 3g packaging but am skeptical as I have never even heard SE selling these in this bulk-size. Also there maybe others selling the X23-7762 as X23-7783D (difference is in the viscosity) as the syringes are difficult to distinguish the difference.

#15 ·
I thought the less the better.....

TIM is to fill in the fine gaps in the metals and the pressure of applying the sink spread it more than enough to coat the cpu (the ol' BB dot, give it a slight twist when installing the sink etc)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.