Overclock.net banner

[VR-Zone] ASUS Dual-Socket LGA2011

6K views 44 replies 30 participants last post by  lowfat 
#1 ·
Quote:
At CES, ASUS showed off its latest workstation motherboard designed for 2P socket LGA2011 Sandy Bridge-EP eight-core processors, the Z9PE-D8-WS. By the looks of it, it might not be having the voltage-delivery muscle of EVGA's SR3, but it is filled to the brim with connectivity. Each socket is powered by a 14-phase Digi+ II VRM, there are numerous other power domains. The board draws power from a 24-pin ATX connector, two 8-pin EPS connectors, and a 4-pin Molex.

The sockets are each wired to four DDR3 DIMM slots, giving this board the ability to hold up to 256 GB of RAM. There are seven PCI-Express 3.0 x16 expansion slots, from which four (blue) are x16 capable, and three (black) x8 capable. There are as many as 10 SATA ports, of which six appear to be 6 Gb/s capable. In terms of connectivity, an ASpeed AST2300 provides basic display and management over IP functions; there are two gigabit Ethernet interfaces driven by Intel-made controllers, two USB 3.0 ports, 8-channel HD audio, and a number of USB 2.0 ports. ASUS demonstrated this board by running two 2P capable unknown processors, three latest NVIDIA Tesla GPU compute cards, and an ASUS-made graphics card. Unlike with EVGA SR3, which is technically a workstation motherboard designed for enthusiasts, the Z9PE-D8-WS is intentioned to be a workstation motherboard only.

See less See more
#6 ·
Yeah - just what I need for a little light web surfing .
I honestly could not afford the electricity that would use let alone the board ,ram,CPUs.GPUs,Special case and PSU .And even if I did have enough money to buy one I would use it to buy a better car - and most likely still have some left over.

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by pony-tail View Post

Yeah - just what I need for a little light web surfing .
I honestly could not afford the electricity that would use let alone the board ,ram,CPUs.GPUs,Special case and PSU .And even if I did have enough money to buy one I would use it to buy a better car - and most likely still have some left over.
Their workstation systems. Not for home use. (unless you're a stupidly rich enthusiast) =p

Still, I wouldn't say no to one of these if I considered 10 grand "disposable"
Disclaimer: Number was off the top of my head, don't get all pedantic on me.

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicnivian View Post

Their workstation systems. Not for home use. (unless you're a stupidly rich enthusiast) =p
Still, I wouldn't say no to one of these if I considered 10 grand "disposable"
Disclaimer: Number was off the top of my head, don't get all pedantic on me.
this
those are Tesla GPU's below the main GPU (looks like a DirectCU 2 card)

#12 ·
O M G!

#13 ·
Looks like just the thing to replace my sigrig with.

unfortunately, I'd have to sell my house to afford it.

#17 ·
Can you say:
-BIGADV?
If only I was a rich kid....

#18 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Citra View Post

The look of evga motherboards have gone down the drain with x79.
Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515a
I agree. I don't think a $600+ motherboard will make their lineup any better.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkahuna360 View Post

This makes me think that theyre going to skip Dual-socket LGA 1156. :c
If you really meant 1156, there's no such thing as a dual socket 1156 or 1155 board. If you meant 1366, they made a bunch of dual socket 1366 boards.

Now, Asus, please make an SR-X competitor.
The SR-X market is just so, so incredibly tiny. Why would ASUS waste their time? You forget, "enthusiasts" these days whine about $550 for the top end graphics card -- what will they say to $2k worth of CPUs + a $550 mobo?

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oedipus View Post

Because the SR-2 didn't exactly sell poorly.
But the market for actual workstation boards is so much higher than "enthusiast dual CPUs" that ASUS won't bother. Or at least I highly doubt they'll bother.

EVGA is a small company with, like, 40 people, so they can do these one-off boutique kinds of things and have it be worth their while. ASUS is much, much larger.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.