Overclock.net banner

How to Tell if my PSU is Failing?

8K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Deathcall45 
#1 ·
I got a new computer. It's custom built and arrived in the mail yesterday.

Since then it's been shutting down randomly. The computer would close windows and just shut down.
Specs:
8GB DDR3 Ram
FX-4100
6770 GPU
500 Watt PSU

Is the PSU failing or what?

#3 ·
From what you are saying it sounds like the computer is shutting itself down maybe to protect itself

Have you checked temps?

Or maybe it is something like a faulty power button on your comp?

#6 ·
I'm pretty sure it's a low quality 500W.
Ram is fine. I checked it on different computers. I'm loathe to take out the power supply and check that with a different computer because of all the unplugging. T.T

PSU isn't under load when it crashes. I'd use my computer normally and it'd sometimes crash on startup or after use for a while.

Not overheating.
tongue.gif
Made sure of that. There's a GPU, CPU and PSU fan a case fan, one fan over the HDD and a fan in the back. CPUID shows temperatures of CPU at 25-32 Celsius for the CPU and 33-34 for the GPU. HDD holds at 32 constantly.

#9 ·
Computer just shuts down as if I were holding down the power button.
It's really annoying D:
Replacement PSU should arrive in 2 days. If that one doesn't work I guess I can dish out another $50 for a decent 80+ PSU or figure out whatever the heck else is wrong.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.