Overclock.net banner

Verizon: D4 or Maxx or Galaxy Nexus or Other

• D4

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • MAXX

Votes: 38 84.4%
  • Galaxy Nexus

Votes: 1 2.2%
  • Other Verizon phone (post your thoughts)

Votes: 0 0.0%

[Poll] - Upgrade - Verizon: D4 or Maxx or Galaxy Nexus

2K views 35 replies 15 participants last post by  wirefox 
#1 ·
I'm on an OG ... root/GB liquidsmooth rom

(I'm not so interested in root or rom-ing the new phone .. I only did this on my OG just b/c it got so laggy/slow... )

Wife just upgraded to D4 (haven't seen it yet til later tonight)

thoughts for me are here .. .but would love owners thoughts too

D4
keyboard v touch - I kind of never got used to screen typing/swiping ... as I've only had the OG and the screen is so small (big hands)
Okay battery 1785
pentile screen -meh
don't mind the chunky size coming from OG
?

Maxx
I kind of never got used to screen typing/swiping ... as I've only had the OG
Okay battery 3304
don't mind the chunky size coming from OG
?

Galaxy Nexus
I feel like the Galaxy with the extended battery 2100, Andriod 4.0, usualy first to get Google updates and better screen...

might be my choice...

I haven't shopped in person yet ... just looking for others thoughts before I go out .

btw I use my phone for work (corp email account), calls, games... some streaming but that may change with a larger form factor. also I will be grandfathered into phone with unlimted data.

thanks for the thoughts

See less See more
#2 ·
thanks for the 2 votes so far.. .keep them coming!
thumb.gif

#3 ·
I have a Nexus and LOVE it. My choice, but before you pick based on the Google updates thing:

http://androidcommunity.com/google-ends-full-support-for-cdma-devices-including-verizons-galaxy-nexus-20120203/

I assume your on Verizon (poll choice) so this applies to them. Still waiting for my 4.0.3 Update from Verizon which was release in December, 4.0.4 is out already....
Still spectacular phone, instant pictures, no cheap mods from the manufactures like motoblur. Screen is to die for.

--David--

#4 ·
Why is this even a question!? The Galaxy Nexus is the best phone on the planet right now! How could you not choose it!?
biggrin.gif

#6 ·
I have the galaxy nexus, it is pretty cool. Stock battery though, so on a normal day, it lasts ~17 hours with low to moderate use. the Maxx though has essentially twice that battery life, it solved the smartphone/4g battery life issues just by doubling the size of the battery, and it still looks great. That being said, we have seen how long Motorola can take to roll out updates to its phones, so don't count on ICS soon on it. Go nexus!

#7 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubed_zero View Post

I have the galaxy nexus, it is pretty cool. Stock battery though, so on a normal day, it lasts ~17 hours with low to moderate use. the Maxx though has essentially twice that battery life, it solved the smartphone/4g battery life issues just by doubling the size of the battery, and it still looks great. That being said, we have seen how long Motorola can take to roll out updates to its phones, so don't count on ICS soon on it. Go nexus!
so I'm on verizon so if I went nexus on verizon... I'd have android 4.0 .. and I'd image that I'm sol with ICS updates then on Maxx or d4...

edit: due to drunkenness

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexus6 View Post

Proud owner of a Gnex
sorry but is that a verizon phone ?

#9 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsdg View Post

I have a Nexus and LOVE it. My choice, but before you pick based on the Google updates thing:
http://androidcommunity.com/google-ends-full-support-for-cdma-devices-including-verizons-galaxy-nexus-20120203/
I assume your on Verizon (poll choice) so this applies to them. Still waiting for my 4.0.3 Update from Verizon which was release in December, 4.0.4 is out already....
Still spectacular phone, instant pictures, no cheap mods from the manufactures like motoblur. Screen is to die for.
--David--
yeah this is kind of a bummer .. .but I guess if I can get a year or two from either gaining root or verizon (potentially updating) ... it might be worth it for the screen + extended battery life..

from article"...It's important to note that the three devices in question still have unlockable bootloaders, and that isn't likely to change. Ever. The Galaxy Nexus LTE, Nexus S 4G and XOOM CDMA are still valid as developer devices, in the sense that you can download Android code, compile it and run it on them without any barriers. Custom ROMs and other mods will not be affected. Even so, the sudden drop in priority support is certain to ruffle the feathers of serious Android enthusiasts, many of whom bought these phones and tablets based on that support alone. We'll keep you updated on this story as it progresses.." hopefully the community will take care of itself..

I swear phones are like gaming console it's just a nightmare to get things done because everyone in the business funnel needs to be happy ...

leaning toward the nexus ... need to go out and check phones out..

'thanks for input so far' do add more!

#10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirefox View Post

sorry but is that a verizon phone ?
Gnex = Galaxy Nexus.

#11 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman5293 View Post

Gnex = Galaxy Nexus.
Haha....thanks. Been hanging around XDA and Rootzwiki too long and have been accustomed to their lingo.
When I had the HTC Evo 3D, everybody started calling it the 3vo, and when I posted elsewhere, everybody was like "What's the 3vo????"

#13 ·
GNexus for sure if you want to upgrade now

though i'm sure some people would agree with me as E_Man has said before; anytime between Jan-March is one of the worst times to change phones as new tech and phones usually gets announced at MWC and whatnot and gets released in the few months after~

so basically if you can wait; wait it out for new phones (smaller chips=generally better battery life not to mention 2nd gen LTE chips so they'll def use up less power if you want to go for a LTE phone)

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

GNexus for sure if you want to upgrade now
though i'm sure some people would agree with me as E_Man has said before; anytime between Jan-March is one of the worst times to change phones as new tech and phones usually gets announced at MWC and whatnot and gets released in the few months after~
so basically if you can wait; wait it out for new phones (smaller chips=generally better battery life not to mention 2nd gen LTE chips so they'll def use up less power if you want to go for a LTE phone)
thanks ... it's always such a waiting game.. so far the galaxy nexus is winning the pool

had some time with the D4 and I think that even though my og droid is fast ... any newer dual core phone is just all around better. thought with the rom I'm running I may wait till after mwc to figure it out ... if I can thanks +1s around

#15 ·
bumping for votes... but seeming somewhat clear ...

#16 ·
I see a lot of love the the Nexus in this poll, though I can't say I'm surprised. The market is really moving away from buttons it seems. (Sorry to hijack for a minute, but) Are there any phones rumored to have keyboard to drop for Verizon this year besides the D4? I'm still on the OG, but the power button just got stuck, and it makes me sad.

#17 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nhb93 View Post

I see a lot of love the the Nexus in this poll, though I can't say I'm surprised. The market is really moving away from buttons it seems. (Sorry to hijack for a minute, but) Are there any phones rumored to have keyboard to drop for Verizon this year besides the D4? I'm still on the OG, but the power button just got stuck, and it makes me sad.
don't go for the D4~
nothing regarding qwerty sliders for this year i'm afraid

but the D4 is jsut bad IMHO~ non user replaceable battery, bad screen etc.

is there any reason why you'd want a qwerty slider?

#18 ·
Consider the Rezound too. Insane amounts of storage, the best screen on the market bar none, unlockable bootloader, and the best hardware on the market. Slap ICS on it and it'll destroy a Galaxy Nexus.

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by wierdo124 View Post

Consider the Rezound too. Insane amounts of storage, the best screen on the market bar none, unlockable bootloader, and the best hardware on the market. Slap ICS on it and it'll destroy a Galaxy Nexus.
hmmm not really hardware wise if you're counting pure numbers
tongue.gif

the S3 is slower than the OMAP4460, Tegra 2 and Exynos last I looked
wink.gif

#20 ·
Quote:

Why is this even a question!? The Galaxy Nexus is the best phone on the planet right now! How could you not choose it!?
biggrin.gif
i would take an Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch anyday for that POS

*Pros
  • significantly faster GPU
  • better sound quality
  • significantly better camera
  • better build quality (although the nexus is more ergonomic)

the only advantage of galaxy nexus is
  • ICS out of the box
  • 720p screen

epic 4g touch is supposed to get ICS update very soon

as for the OP

i would get the razr maxx at it has the best battery life on any 4G smartphone right now

it also has superior build quality, audio quality and camera

though you had to wait until april for it to get ICS

#21 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pie View Post

Quote:

hmmm not really hardware wise if you're counting pure numbers
tongue.gif

the S3 is slower than the OMAP4460, Tegra 2 and Exynos last I looked
wink.gif
Exynos, yes. Tegra 2, no, OMAP yes. Exynos has problems though, Samsung is the only one using it (and sparingly) for a reason. It's bloody fast but not consistent. Android doesn't seem to like them. Overclock the S3 to 2.0GHz and overclock the OMAP to 1.5 and the S3 will curbstomp it. Plus, with some things clock speed IS what matters most.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclimja View Post

Quote:

biggrin.gif

*Pros
  • better sound quality

• ICS out of the box
  • 720p screen

as for the OP

i would get the razr maxx at it has the best battery life on any 4G smartphone right now

You forgot about the dog crap that is touchwiz. Also, Samsung and build quality shouldn't be in the same sentence. Motorola builds quality, but rubbish software. HTC is fairly good at both.

And i wouldn't awnt to own a phone i that I couldn't remember the whole name to. SGSIIE4GT FTL.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by raclimja View Post

*Pros
  • better sound quality
  • ICS out of the box
  • 720p screen
as for the OP
Can I see a source for that? Got a Razr and would like to learn more about ICS launch date.

#23 ·
To the best of my knowledge, NOBODY has detailed ICS rollout times. And we all know Samsung doesn't stick to them anyway. Motorola will be first.

#24 ·
Quote:

You forgot about the dog crap that is touchwiz.
oh really?

what android phone do you use? do you even own one?

i own a lot of phone such as OG Droid milestone, Samsung Fascinate, Samsung Epic 4G, Droid X2, Droid Razr, HTC Evo 3D, Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch and out of all those phone

Samsungs touchwiz one of the best especially on E4GT, it is by far the smoothest(Hardware GPU rendering UI) of the bunch excluding ICS, the drop down toggle menus are extremely handy, the keyboard is awesome, and many more(though it lacks transition and animation effects compared to latest htc sense have)
Quote:

Also, Samsung and build quality shouldn't be in the same sentence.
refer to my post on this

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/111-what-exactly-is-gorilla-glass-how-does-it-work/page__p__5952#entry5952
Quote:

Motorola builds quality, but rubbish software.
rubbish? the latest version of moto blur has pretty good transition effects although it is not very smooth and lacks quite a few features here and there
Quote:

HTC is fairly good at both.
the only good htc phone that i know is the rezound, the rest are just mediocre

#25 ·
#26 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanresourceful View Post

Can I see a source for that? Got a Razr and would like to learn more about ICS launch date.
afaik, there is already a leaked ICS Beta on GSM Droid Razr(though it is not really usable at the moment)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1470613

there is also an ICS on CDMA Droid Razr

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/1050-rom-aokp-axi0m-r-kang-403-2202012/

as far as the official release, i think it would take a looooooong while for the CDMA Droid Razr to get official ICS Update

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/929-ics-timing-update/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.