Overclock.net banner

What CPU is better

959 views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  PontiacGTX 
#1 ·
AMD Athlon II X3 455 3.3GHz Socket AM3 Triple-Core Desktop Processor
Or
AMD Phenom II 555 x3 3.1 socket AM3

#8 ·
i did say spend 5$ more and go for Athlon II X4 631 for 85$ overclock it to decent 3.5Ghz to 3.6Ghz with a decent cooler like Hyper TX3 and enjoy better performance the the Phenom II X2 555BE. the unlocking days of Phenom II X2 are gone i guess there would be hardly any left
redface.gif

#9 ·
#10 ·
Phenom II. Mine currently plays everything awesome: War hammer: space marine, Dawn of war, dead space, all the tomb raiders.
You can Oc it well and it could unlock to a quad.
The Athlon just doesn't have the 'turbo' in game play like the phenom and my Athlon didn't unlock.
The Athlon II X3 is great and super fast for every day stuff, but for game play, it won't beat a phenom II X2.
Even AMD promoted this.

#15 ·
This is going to be for a 12 year old interested in computers and PC gaming (light gaming ex: Cod4) He probably wont need to overclock it. I just want to have him kind of future proof a little so as he ages he does not need to upgrade his whole system

#16 ·
The Phenom!

#21 ·
A 520 isn't a very good card... at $50 you're paying a lot for something that isn't good.

An HD 5670 refurb for $60 shipped is way above the 520 in performance capability while maintaining good low power consumption.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.