Overclock.net banner

Never had a smartphone, need help choosing the right one.

2K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  Kand 
#1 ·
Hey everyone.

This is my first trip to these parts of the forum, so treat me nice!

I've been looking more and more into getting myself a smartpone lately, especially since my old phone has a crack in the screen which can be quite annoying.

Never having owned a smartphone before I am pretty clueless as to what I should get.

I've been looking into a windows phone or andriod, but no matter what I read I just don't get any smarter from it.

I'll suppose I'll be using my phone for.. phone stuff I guess. Calling, sending messages, taking pictures (Just got myself a little girl so a good camera would be nice
smile.gif
)

I'll probably end up using my phone for more than what I listed here, but as I've said, I'm clueless so it'll just have to come when I get the phone and learn a bit more about it.

Any advice would be really appreciated.
biggrin.gif

See less See more
#5 ·
Nokia Lumia's are supposed to have awesome cameras.

#7 ·
If you're looking for a good camera, the Galaxy Nexus probably isn't the phone for you.

I assume your carrier uses GSM, so I'd wait till Late-March to make a decision, as the biggest smartphones are being launched between now and then. I'd really check out the Galaxy S3, which will probably be the best phone out when it comes time, and the Galaxy S2 series have pretty amazing cameras.

#8 ·
Avoid LG
avoid HTC

They generally feel crappy.

I prefer samsung/motorola

but currently run a Nokia and the quality and feel is great.

it also plays most file types straight off the bat (it must convert them.)

without having to download an app to play certain file types.

it has capacitive touch great camera with beast of a flash etc

android is so overated.

#9 ·
I just got the Google Galaxy Nexus and I must say this is the best phone I have ever had. Always good to get the Google dev phone so you have the latest android and you have access to the best ROMs and Kernels if you are a real tech person.

Running AOKP with Franco Kernel I am getting 3 day battery life and this thing is smooth as silk. And the screen! Oh my science the screen! 720P resolution on a phone..... droools...
thumb.gif

About what Casey Ryback said about HTC I disagree wholeheartedly. They have the best carrier UI of Android (sense) in my opinion for someone who doesn't like to have to much about to customize everything and download a bunch of widgets as they provide you with a very good out of the box GUI experience for android where others fail pretty badly (Samsung comes to mind although they make amazing phones). HTC also had very good build quality and the HTC phones my friends and I have had have all held up very well.

I recommend the Samsung Google Nexus, but a high end HTC phone would be a great choice too.

I agree don't go LG and I would stay away from Motorola as well although I have not used any of their latest models.

#12 ·
get the galaxy note, nice size screen for surfing the web and document reading.. thats number one in my books
thumb.gif

#13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spykerv View Post

Galaxy Note owner myself.
Once you go 5.3", you never really go back. I can't see myself adjusting to a less than 5" phone, no matter how "fast" it is.
I like those

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandy2012 View Post

i just like iPhone series only, i think it's better than any other smart phones.
Vastly different experience compared to android and Im sure even wp7.after 4 years, it got really boring. Great resale value though, ill give iphones.that. I enjoyed it, though the experience is not for everyone.

#15 ·
How anyone that has a love for technology could be happy with an iPhone is unimaginable for me and also owning a 5'3" phone is unimaginable for me as well! Different strokes for different blokes I guess.

I heard WP 7.5 is pretty good, but imo the best smart-phone experience for someone who loves technology and want to get the most out of their experience, android is the only way to go due to the complete control you are allowed over your phone and what it runs. As I stated before the Google commissioned phones are usually the best for that aspect as well, but there is amazing development for pretty much every android phone out there.

/opinion

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exostenza View Post

How anyone that has a love for technology could be happy with an iPhone is unimaginable for me and also owning a 5'3" phone is unimaginable for me as well! Different strokes for different blokes I guess.
I heard WP 7.5 is pretty good, but imo the best smart-phone experience for someone who loves technology and want to get the most out of their experience, android is the only way to go due to the complete control you are allowed over your phone and what it runs. As I stated before the Google commissioned phones are usually the best for that aspect as well, but there is amazing development for pretty much every android phone out there.
/opinion
Don't quote me on this, but IMO MEEGO is far more open than android is. The n9, beauty that she was, ceased to exist thanks to Nokia. Didn't even give the poor thing a chance did ya nokia?

#17 ·
I have had a few Android phones, and I always ran into some sort of bug, crash, or issue with it not working out well for me. I went to the iPhone 4 and will never go away from them. I have never had a single issue, and for a phone i just want it to work.

Now if your one of those that likes to heavily customize your phone, make your own apps or any other type of aftermarket mods then Android is the way to go just expect a bumpy road. Besides the ability to customize there really isn't (in my opinion) a reason to do anything but an iPhone..they work, and when I need to make a call or send a text I dont want it frozen needing a hard reset like the androids i have had in the past.

#18 ·
Hey everyone, thanks for all the replies regarding this matter. And sorry for being a bit bad at responding.
redface.gif

After reading through it all and looking around the net for a bit, I ended up with the Nokia Lumia 800.
Been hearing a lot of good stuff about the new Nokia and Windows Phones so I took my shot at it.

And thanks (again) to everyone that took the time to help me out!
thumb.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.