Overclock.net banner

Do you have 1 or more 7970's + Eyefinity? If so, i need your help... Please read on.

2K views 18 replies 5 participants last post by  Stu-Crossfire 
#1 ·
Hi guys,
Ok, This is the scenario... Please bear with me.
smile.gif

Since buying my 7970's I have been constantly testing and battling with OC settings, with my cards not liking to run over 1050 on the core regardless of voltage used. As soon as I try 1075 or above...BSOD 116.

Whilst i realise that on overclock is not guaranteed, I have discovered something interesting that proves in my case, its not just poor cards... read on.
wink.gif

I have 3x 7970's now, and recently tried swapping cards around to see if it made any difference and made an interesting discovery...

No matter which card I use, the one connected to the 3 monitors is then limited to the 1050 core.
This led me to trying different overclocks on each card so they are no longer tied together and, low and behold, the other 2 GPU's will run much higher core clocks!!

So, I made an assumption that since the card running the 3 monitors is also the one getting the hottest, i would await until I got my new loop installed and expected that the lower temps would solve the problem. Sadly, I was wrong.

My max temps on GPU and VRM's are now 40C and still the same core limit of 1050 applies to any card running the three monitors.
frown.gif

So, my question, you guys out there running in eyefinity with 3 monitors, what OC's are you achieving?

Thanks in advance for any info your can offer.

P.S: I realise that my next task is to disconnect 2 monitors and set the software up so its running just the one.

See less See more
#2 ·
i am running 3x1920 on one 7970 and i just maxed the sliders in CCC to 1125 and 1575, perfectly stable

edit: i have absolutely no idea why it would be doing that... i suggest trying 1 monitor and reinstalling drivers

#4 ·
I have no problems running up to 1200/1600 with 1.174v on both my cards. What's the ASIC quality of all your cards? My cards are 85.6% and 86.1%. So both my cards are 1.049v stock. This may play well with my overclocking as both my cards are the same voltage. I use 1.174v for a .125v increase over stock. If you have a card that is a different voltage then the other one, you may be running into a OCP on one of the cards.

Have you checked what the ASIC quality of all your cards is? Also, are you disabling ULPS in regedit?

#5 ·
Thanks for your replies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twich12 View Post

i am running 3x1920 on one 7970 and i just maxed the sliders in CCC to 1125 and 1575, perfectly stable
edit: i have absolutely no idea why it would be doing that... i suggest trying 1 monitor and reinstalling drivers
Will do so over the next 48hrs.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone07si View Post

I have no problems running up to 1200/1600 with 1.174v on both my cards. What's the ASIC quality of all your cards? My cards are 85.6% and 86.1%. So both my cards are 1.049v stock. This may play well with my overclocking as both my cards are the same voltage. I use 1.174v for a .125v increase over stock. If you have a card that is a different voltage then the other one, you may be running into a OCP on one of the cards.
Have you checked what the ASIC quality of all your cards is? Also, are you disabling ULPS in regedit?
Hi mate,
Are you running those overclocks in eyefinity?
My 3 cards are all between 84 and 86. however, you may have missinterpreted my problem as it hapens on any and all cards I plug three monitors into.

Yes, have tried it with and without ULPS. its currently back on as it never gives me any issues in the latest driver.

#6 ·
Yes I run my overclock in eyefinity. That's the only time I would really need an overclock. I use 1150/1500 1.174v most of the time. One of my cards are on air still and it gets to 80c so I backed down to 1100/1500 for BF3. I have no issues with my card that my monitors are hooked up to.

#7 ·
Quote:

Yes I run my overclock in eyefinity. That's the only time I would really need an overclock. I use 1150/1500 1.174v most of the time. One of my cards are on air still and it gets to 80c so I backed down to 1100/1500 for BF3. I have no issues with my card that my monitors are hooked up to.
Thanks mate the more feedback I get the more light I can shine on it. I cant possibly have THREE faulty cards surely?
Maybe its a PCIE chipset / driver correlation problem.

#8 ·
How are you overclocking the card? What programs are you using? Have you tried using +20% on the power slider? I'm only using AB beta 14 for all my overclocking and don't even open CCC at all. I had major problems with ULPS enabled and once I disabled that, life was good.

#9 ·
Quote:

How are you overclocking the card? What programs are you using? Have you tried using +20% on the power slider? I'm only using AB beta 14 for all my overclocking and don't even open CCC at all. I had major problems with ULPS enabled and once I disabled that, life was good.
Hi,
Only using CCC at the moment although have tried Saphires own Trixx and AB beta 12.
May try and disable ULPS again now teh cards cool, "just" in case! Will have to go and goole how to do it again...
smile.gif

#10 ·
AB beta 12 doesn't work well and doesn't have the power slider option in it. I'd try Rc11 and AB beta 14. Disable ULPS before you install AB and make sure that it's working. If I was having your problem, I would do this in this order.

Uninstall your driver and reboot
Run ATIMAN with option "A", let it do it's things and it will reboot, when it comes back on, then use option "C" and let it run. last option is "Q" to quit. Then reboot again.
Install RC11 and then reboot.
Disable ULPS in regedit. Change all the 1's to 0's, then reboot
Verify that ULPS is disabled and your cards are not shutting off. If working proper then continue
Install AB beta 14 and set it up the way you like, monitoring, style ext.

Now just try using AB the way it is. Since your problem is at 1050core, you don't need to enable Unofficial Overclocking Mode yet. Try overclocking up to 1100 or 1125 with using .125v over your stock voltage, like I said mine are 1.049v and I use 1.174v. You should not have a problem if you do this in those steps EXACTLY. Until I followed this routine, I had problems.

Now if everything is working well, close AB and go into the cfg and change Unofficial Overclocking Mode to 1 and then open AB back up and you should be prompted, hit yes, and then everything should work perfect. No loading extra files that are missing. Clock away and enjoy.

Hope this helps if you haven't followed this routine before. Good luck
thumb.gif
waiting to hear your outcome

#12 ·
Quote:

AB beta 12 doesn't work well and doesn't have the power slider option in it. I'd try Rc11 and AB beta 14. Disable ULPS before you install AB and make sure that it's working. If I was having your problem, I would do this in this order.
Uninstall your driver and reboot
Run ATIMAN with option "A", let it do it's things and it will reboot, when it comes back on, then use option "C" and let it run. last option is "Q" to quit. Then reboot again.
Install RC11 and then reboot.
Disable ULPS in regedit. Change all the 1's to 0's, then reboot
Verify that ULPS is disabled and your cards are not shutting off. If working proper then continue
Install AB beta 14 and set it up the way you like, monitoring, style ext.
Now just try using AB the way it is. Since your problem is at 1050core, you don't need to enable Unofficial Overclocking Mode yet. Try overclocking up to 1100 or 1125 with using .125v over your stock voltage, like I said mine are 1.049v and I use 1.174v. You should not have a problem if you do this in those steps EXACTLY. Until I followed this routine, I had problems.
Now if everything is working well, close AB and go into the cfg and change Unofficial Overclocking Mode to 1 and then open AB back up and you should be prompted, hit yes, and then everything should work perfect. No loading extra files that are missing. Clock away and enjoy.
Hope this helps if you haven't followed this routine before. Good luck
thumb.gif
waiting to hear your outcome
Hi,
Thanks for the comprehensive reply, sorry, I was at work, just checked and it was V14 and I have tried teh power slider in both CCC and ABv14.
Sadly I have been through all this before and had no joy but am certainly will ing to give it a try again and will do so.
Will also be trying the latest drivers released today and also AB V15.
smile.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Why are you off on your own island stu? If you follow along in the owners thread, you'd be using rc11 and the latest beta. Anyways, no issues here with rc11/beta14. Beta15 is out, hmm...
Edited for eyefinity furmark.
Hi mate,
I am not on my own island mate, during this misserable process I have formatted and installed windows and all my software onto 4x 1TB disks with NO GPU drivers and then created a version of windows with a clean install of every different driver version and backed it up onto my HP server as I was sick of ruining windows installs messing about with AMD drivers.

As a result, When I want to experiment I can wreck what I like and roll the whole thing back to any version of driver ona fresh windows install in around 20mins.

Without doubt my best version is the official 12.2, and the main reason I like that, bar being fastest, is I can place my taskbar in the middle window with eyefinity as I hate it right over to the left.

Not really sure on the relevance of furmark image mate, my eyefinity works just fine, please can you elaborate?

#13 ·
I'd like to hear what happens if you try the method I explained. I know it's a pain in the arse, but it's the only way I know that has not 1 bug or issue doing anything. I will be home in 30min and back on myself.

#14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu-Crossfire View Post

Not really sure on the relevance of furmark image mate, my eyefinity works just fine, please can you elaborate?
Weren't you saying you couldn't overclock your cards over 1050 core or something?

You can't tell by the screenie that all my cards in eyefinity are clocked 1305/1730? I thought it was relevant?

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Weren't you saying you couldn't overclock your cards over 1050 core or something?
You can't tell by the screenie that all my cards in eyefinity are clocked 1305/1730? I thought it was relevant?
Sorry mate, no, text is tiny, the forum perhaps resized it, I see the relevance now.
smile.gif

#17 ·
Quote:

I'd like to hear what happens if you try the method I explained. I know it's a pain in the arse, but it's the only way I know that has not 1 bug or issue doing anything. I will be home in 30min and back on myself.
Morning Mate,
Well, Got home last night and tried the latest drivers, and was so obsessed with the improvements I sat up all night benching stuff!
Disabled ULPS again and installed AB and suddenly, all is well. Running the GPU's at 1250/1600 @ 1.250v with no problems at all.

What fixed it? Dont know... but it was either:

• Disabling ULPS (even though tried it a few times already)
  • New march 1st driver. (info here)
  • New AB Beta version
  • Combination of the above

But it certainly seems to be fixed, and I am now VERY happy indeed!

Thanks very much for your, and indeed everybodys help.
thumb.gif

#19 ·
Quote:

Anytime bro!! Glad to hear. I'm going to give those drivers a go when I get home later as well. Hope I have the luck as you did
thumb.gif
I have a gut feeling that you will also benefit... fingers crossed.
One things for sure... it is time AMD gave us all some happy evenings after we all spent so much on their products.
smile.gif

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.