upgrading my build !

2K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  PCEnthusiast85 
#1 ·
upgrading the following parts......

ga970a-ud3 to a msi990fxa-gd80

thermaltake clp0554 to a 212 evo

corsair tx650w to aocz fatal1ty 750w modular

adding a second gtx 570 superclocked

is this all woth upgrading from? i dont wanna spend more money than i need to...
thumb.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by croy View Post

SpinQ VT to 212 Evo? i don't think that's an upgrade.
i thought the hyper 212 evo was top of the line cooler? i can not get past 4299.70mhz cause i overheat....so maybe a different cooler is needed?

#4 ·
#5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by bf3player1978 View Post

i thought the hyper 212 evo was top of the line cooler? i can not get past 4299.70mhz cause i overheat....so maybe a different cooler is needed?
its not. people call it best bang for the buck cooler because of its price/performance. you should be looking for the Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow if you want to have better results in temps. or go Hydro cooling from Corsair like the H80.

#6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by croy View Post

its not. people call it best bang for the buck cooler because of its price/performance. you should be looking for the Noctua NH-D14 or Thermalright Silver Arrow if you want to have better results in temps. or go Hydro cooling from Corsair like the H80.
case isnt big enough for a silver arrow

#8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by truckerguy View Post

then do the H80
really dont wanna go water cooling since im a noob at it. never done it before. i just wanna know the best air cooler on the market.

#9 ·
Quote:

really dont wanna go water cooling since im a noob at it. never done it before. i just wanna know the best air cooler on the market.
what is your case? if the SpinQ VT fits in your case, then there shouldn't be a problem. the SpinQ and Silver Arrow have the same height dimension.

#11 ·
Quote:

if you can mount a rear case fan and atach a cpu heat sink you can do this
yes i can do that, but i never have put a back plate on MB. do i have to remove the exsisting am3 bracket?

#13 ·
H80 shouldn't even be considered WCing xD. It's easy and should only take about 5 or 6 mins. 15 mins if you are insanely slow.

IMO don't get another 570 yet, wait for them to go down in price. They will, if you still want a single card, you can sell your current card(~$240) and pick up a GTX 680($500). That will give you a little more VRAM to play with. But, dont get me wrong, SLI 570's annihilate everything I throw at it. It's just some games like VRAM a little more and right now 1.25GB of VRAM is not a smart buy. a 680 and SLI 570's should be about even in performance.
thumb.gif
SLI 570's might be slightly more powerful, but are lacking VRAM.

#14 ·
What's wrong with your 970a-ud3 that you need to upgrade?

#15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by z3r0_k00l75 View Post

What's wrong with your 970a-ud3 that you need to upgrade?
i cannot oc on this board. i cannot get it past 2300fsb, the only way i get my cpu up to 4.3 is just to raise the cpu clock only. nothing else except i had to increase vcore to 1.4v, this board is junk to me, unless im doing this wrong. btw, im a noob to oc'ing

#16 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironman517 View Post

H80 shouldn't even be considered WCing xD. It's easy and should only take about 5 or 6 mins. 15 mins if you are insanely slow.
IMO don't get another 570 yet, wait for them to go down in price. They will, if you still want a single card, you can sell your current card(~$240) and pick up a GTX 680($500). That will give you a little more VRAM to play with. But, dont get me wrong, SLI 570's annihilate everything I throw at it. It's just some games like VRAM a little more and right now 1.25GB of VRAM is not a smart buy. a 680 and SLI 570's should be about even in performance.
thumb.gif
SLI 570's might be slightly more powerful, but are lacking VRAM.
yea im actually trying to sell my 570 but no offers as of yet. i do want the single 680 instead of dual 570's. one reason is its cheaper than a new board ( 2x 16x pcie ) and a new psu to run it all, and another 570....wow, not cheap.

#17 ·
btw, i use arctic alumina as thermal paste... is there a better one i can buy?

#18 ·
Quote:

It's simple. It's an enclosed Watercooling system. All you do is mount the block onto the CPU, and mount the 120 MM Radiator to a 120MM fan in your case. It's that simple. I had an H50, and the temps were great!

#19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nvidia-Brownies View Post

It's simple. It's an enclosed Watercooling system. All you do is mount the block onto the CPU, and mount the 120 MM Radiator to a 120MM fan in your case. It's that simple. I had an H50, and the temps were great!
how bout under load? my idle temp is ok, but my load temp is high. do you recommend a h60 over a 212 evo ?

#21 ·
Quote:

with the kind of heat your 8120 builds I recomend the H80 the instruction that come with it makes it easy ( lots of pictures) lol
just not sure it's in me budget as of now..
sadsmiley.gif

#22 ·
your using a storm enforcer case? how wide is that? certainly its as wide as my old storm scout was and i managed to stuff a cooler master v6gt into it just fine. a cooler master v6gt is an amazing cpu cooler if you can find it for sub $50. when i got mine microcenter had a $35 mail in rebate.

#23 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dt_Freak1 View Post

your using a storm enforcer case? how wide is that? certainly its as wide as my old storm scout was and i managed to stuff a cooler master v6gt into it just fine. a cooler master v6gt is an amazing cpu cooler if you can find it for sub $50. when i got mine microcenter had a $35 mail in rebate.
some people on here been saying to just keep my cooler. i love the style and looks of it, but i wanna get at least 4.5ghz outta this damn chip.lol

#25 ·
If i were you id go with the NZXT Havik 120 for $50, or the New CM with vapor chambers.

#26 ·
Quote:

if you can mount a rear case fan and atach a cpu heat sink you can do this
indeed the corsair kits are factory built so you cant screw it up...just plug it in and GO!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.